Gaming and mouse response BIOS optimization guide for modern PC hardware - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Gaming and mouse response BIOS optimization guide for modern PC hardware

post #21 of 3836 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 04:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
DPC Latency is only to check that there is no suspicious things working in system?
It's only to do stable average 30 on desktop, yes?

Btw. when I start the game CS:GO I have average latency about 500us it's ok?

micronn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 3836 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 100)

Last edited by Oubadah; 03-04-2019 at 09:49 PM.
post #23 of 3836 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
^ I agree with that, I tried most of the things in this guide and it made no difference when actually testing in game despite the lower readings. HPET off usually makes the mouse feel worse in fact. However I do agree with r0ach's findings on Nvidia drivers and use AMD instead because their drivers don't have input lag. It's possible that his guide is accurate for his specific motherboard and maybe some others, but for me the optimizations simply show lower latency in the DPC monitoring app and don't make a difference in real world performance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 3836 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 141 (Unique: 100)

Last edited by Oubadah; 03-04-2019 at 09:48 PM.
post #25 of 3836 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 464 (Unique: 312)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

The other elephant in the room is the dynamic clock fetish Nvidia and AMD have now. [...]

Are you sure it's not the different driver versions? You can't use the older drivers as they don't support the new cards, so might have not seen the card with the same driver as on the GTX580.

I found this post about forcing it to run fixed speed: https://www.overclock.net/t/1267918/guide-nvidia-inspector-gtx670-680-disable-boost-fixed-clock-speed-undervolting
post #26 of 3836 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 01:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill View Post

HPET off usually makes the mouse feel worse in fact.

Maybe you are just used to the feeling of hpet and turned off it feels worse for you.
I doubt this timer can work completely different on different motherboards.
Mouse with it on is very slow and delayed, same thing was on old AMD motherboard. Turning 180 degrees back and forth is much slower with it on. On desktop it feels almost like Im using wireless bluetooth mouse.
post #27 of 3836 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 05:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Could you please help me to configure realtek ethernet controller for less lag? For now i have disabled all energy saving things. There are certain options:
1) ARPOffload -
2) EEE - Energy Efficient Ethernet -
3) NsOffload -
4) WakeOnMagPkt - Wake On Magic Packet -
5) WakeOnPtn - Wake On Pattern Match -
6) AutoDisableGigabit -
7) JumboFrame -
8) TransmitBuffers -
9) ReceiveBuffers -
10) S5WakeOnLan -
11) GreenEthernet -
12) IPChksumOffload v4 -
13) TCPChksumOffload v4 -
14) TCPChksumOffload v6 -
15) UDPChksumOffload v4 -
16) UDPChksumOffload v6 -
17) InterruptModeration -
18) Receive Side Scaling
19) Priority&VLAN -
20) LargeSendOffload v2v4 -
21) LargeSendOffload v2v6
22) NetworkAddress -
23) SpeedDuplex -
24) WolShutdownLinkSpeed -
25) FlowControl -
post #28 of 3836 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 167 (Unique: 109)
Updated original post:

BIOS

22) Wake on Lan - Disable. Anything to do with Intel ME or Intel Vpro you don't want.

Services

1) Human Interface Device Access - This service runs things like volume Up/Down buttons on the keyboard and other random things, but it also does affect mice. Disabling this is one of the last pieces of the puzzle for me to get Win7 cursor response back to WinXP level. (Credits to Berserker1 for this one, I think)

2) Windows Search - Polls your hard drive a lot and can cause stutter. Many SSD users disable this anyway to stop it from taxing your cells.

Software

6) Intel Rapid Storage - This one is a little tricky. Once upon a time, only the default, Microsoft AHCI driver and the Intel Rapid Storage driver supported TRIM. The driver included in "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" didn't. Most people installed the Intel Rapid Storage driver because you needed to get rid of the driver the chipset software installation utility put in. The default Microsoft driver is probably the best option for latency and TRIM support. If you want to get it back after you've installed your chipset software, all you need to do is go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager > IDE ATA / ATAP Controllers, then uninstall that driver and choose "delete driver on uninstall", and it will revert back to the normal, Microsoft AHCI driver after a few restarts.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #29 of 3836 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 167 (Unique: 109)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post

The other elephant in the room is the dynamic clock fetish Nvidia and AMD have now

You could purchase a 925mhz 7970 before the Boost/Ghz edition came out. The cards can be flashed back and forth to Ghz edition as well for testing. I don't own a 7970 to test the difference, if there is one.

Mouse Input Lag BIOS & Windows Optimization Guide
too many personal messages to reply to
post #30 of 3836 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 04:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 464 (Unique: 312)
About that "Human Interface Devices Access", I just checked, it gets disabled automatically if the keyboard is plugged into PS/2 instead of USB on my Windows 8. The volume keys still work on PS/2 with the service off.

When I rebooted and plugged the keyboard into USB, the service got started automatically. Stopping the service makes the volume buttons not work anymore on USB.

Maybe change your description about the service from "buttons on the keyboard" to "buttons on a USB keyboard" to be a little more exact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in