[Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club! - Page 1543 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club!

post #15421 of 15511 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:02 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 498 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
So fluctuations are not bad at that amount?
Attached is the image of the HWiNFO and it looks fine except for the 12v rail and minor fluctuations in a few other areas.... How does it look?

I was going to write in that so far so good and my system was not freezing up but then my system froze, but this time no black screens. Everything froze and just sat there. I waited for the black screens but they never came so I hit the reset button, nothing happened. I hit the reset button again, and still nothing. I hit it a few times and finally my system rebooted... That's not normal and not something I encountered before switching off the surge protection in the BIOS.

EDIT: added my other voltage readings and some fluctuate more than a little.

It seems to me that either HWINFO is flaky on these boards or the fluctuation is accurate and considered "normal" for this board since we pretty much all seem to have the same.

I did some research on my issue. I searched for "PC freezes up with HWiNFO" because I realized this new freeze my PC does is usually after I start HWiNFO. I was led to a post in the HWiNFO forum and apparently others have had this same issue and it is associated with the Asmedia drivers for the hard drives. Someone mentioned reverting your driver to Microsoft provided sata driver (msahci) and everything will run better in HWiNFO, plus they said there was no performance drop in using the Microsoft provided sata driver. They also had an issue where the drives attached through the Asmedia sata ports disappearing but I never checked for that. Another way around this is to disable "drive scan" in HWiNFO.

Hmmm I wonder if that controller is your culprit... The 4 ports at the very top are 3G and built into the X79 chipset and all the others below are 6G (so you're likely using the ASMEDIA controller). It can't hurt to move your drive(s) to the 3G ports just for a test...

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15422 of 15511 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 521 (Unique: 293)
Well, I thought my old system freezes with the black screens were actually gone with disabling the anti surge in the bios, but I just had one a few minutes ago. This is just annoying. I need to save some money and get me a new board/cpu/RAM combo cause I want to go with DDR4 this time......
what are your memory clocks? Are you at all stock clocks still when this is happening?

I could never get memory OC & chip OC to really get along on this board. If you wanted a high core, you needed lower memory. If I remember correctly, I couldn't get over 1886 stable above 4.3ghz on my 3930k, it was slightly better on 4930k, 2133.

but yeah, i would try to completely phase out the asmedia controllers & drivers. Switch your primary drives over to just the intel ones (As I believe we previously discussed) & flush out the drivers. Then make sure you're starting from a 100% bone stock bios. Switch to BIOS#2 if need be, or do a revert on the original bios to get everything back to 100% bone stock.

then start over.
post #15423 of 15511 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

Rep: 45 (Unique: 37)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
what are your memory clocks? Are you at all stock clocks still when this is happening?

I could never get memory OC & chip OC to really get along on this board. If you wanted a high core, you needed lower memory. If I remember correctly, I couldn't get over 1886 stable above 4.3ghz on my 3930k, it was slightly better on 4930k, 2133.

but yeah, i would try to completely phase out the asmedia controllers & drivers. Switch your primary drives over to just the intel ones (As I believe we previously discussed) & flush out the drivers. Then make sure you're starting from a 100% bone stock bios. Switch to BIOS#2 if need be, or do a revert on the original bios to get everything back to 100% bone stock.

then start over.
It doesn't matter. When I get these freezes I could be at stock clocks, my highest OC, system idle, gaming, or just browsing the internet. Nothing I have done seems to affect these black screens and system freeze. This is through three different video cards, various ways of testing (one strip of RAM all the way up to my total 4), NFC/scannow, fresh windows installs, many upgrades, BIOS updates, and so on.
I have no indication whatsoever on what could be causing the issue. Nothing in event viewer or the reliability monitor, nothing noticeable in voltage monitoring.........

I am going to try removing the Asmedia drivers this weekend. But I have no other indications that they could be causing the issue. But I did have a recent issue with my games drive not showing up sometimes at boot... I fixed that by switching to a different Sata port...hmmmm. Although my C drive is in an NVME drive connected through the PCIe port. I did the NVME drive thing in hopes of getting rid of the system freezes, but it didn't help at all.

Do the Asmedia drivers affect the way my NVME works??

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Clean Acrylic
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Nickel/Black 1070
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monitor, NVIDIA G-SYNC
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15424 of 15511 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Never Finished

Rep: 259 (Unique: 203)
You can also disable the asmedia chipset in the bios. If you're running nvme from pcie, then asmedia will do nothing since the only things the asmedia controllers control are sata3 and usb3. The pci controller is on your processor. The pch does the i/o on the board sans the wifi/bt, usb3.0, and audio.

I guess something else you can look at are the caps on the motherboard. If they're starting to peak, then they should be replaced. You also have the mosfets which can go out, but they're cooled pretty well with the heatsink and a sb-e/ib-e 6 core won't really do much to them unless you're shooting some serious volts through it. So, just inspect the board for any peaked caps or weird smells.

Other than that, it looks like everything else checks out, but I'd still pick up a power supply and see if that does the trick. Monitoring software can only show you so much, not to mention that it's not really precise nor accurate due to the large steppings (ever wonder why you always see 1.296, 1.304, 1.328, 1.344v etc.? Hexidecimal base 16.), slow refresh times, and the fact that it's getting it's measurements through a sensor on a motherboard rather than directly from the power supply. However, that's all we got, and it will at least give you something.

You won't get ripple measurements, mosfet temperatures, capacitor and resistor degradation, transient load response, etc. without using expensive lab equipment and taking the sucker apart. Lots of things can cause a psu to act flaky.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Wyrd+Passive Preamp | Emotiva Mini-X A100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | Mediasonic ProBox 8: 7x SG 4TB 1x WD 3TB | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW
post #15425 of 15511 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

Quote: Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post
You can also disable the asmedia chipset in the bios. If you're running nvme from pcie, then asmedia will do nothing since the only things the asmedia controllers control are sata3 and usb3. The pci controller is on your processor. The pch does the i/o on the board sans the wifi/bt, usb3.0, and audio.

I guess something else you can look at are the caps on the motherboard. If they're starting to peak, then they should be replaced. You also have the mosfets which can go out, but they're cooled pretty well with the heatsink and a sb-e/ib-e 6 core won't really do much to them unless you're shooting some serious volts through it. So, just inspect the board for any peaked caps or weird smells.

Other than that, it looks like everything else checks out, but I'd still pick up a power supply and see if that does the trick. Monitoring software can only show you so much, not to mention that it's not really precise nor accurate due to the large steppings (ever wonder why you always see 1.296, 1.304, 1.328, 1.344v etc.? Hexidecimal base 16.), slow refresh times, and the fact that it's getting it's measurements through a sensor on a motherboard rather than directly from the power supply. However, that's all we got, and it will at least give you something.

You won't get ripple measurements, mosfet temperatures, capacitor and resistor degradation, transient load response, etc. without using expensive lab equipment and taking the sucker apart. Lots of things can cause a psu to act flaky.
Thanks, I will look at the caps when I get the chance. But this same thing has been happening for about two years. If it was the capacitors I'd think they would've blown by now.... The only things that are the same after all this time is the MB, the PSU, and the RAM. If it is the RAM or the MB then I might as well just stick it out until I can get a new MB/RAM/CPU combo (whenever that will be). If I purchase a new PSU I can at least use that for the next one...

If I were to get a new PSU, it would need to be inexpensive as in way less than what a new 1000W G2 SuperNOVA would run me right now. Plus I would need enough modular cables to power everything I use on this board......I might be able to go with a lower end PSU like maybe 850 watts but I am not exactly sure how much power I am even using now...lol.

Suggestions for a new PSU with the requirements above would be awesome!

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #15426 of 15511 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

IMO, go big.. 1200W minimum platinum rating. You never know what kind of power hungry components you might find yourself with. I like to go "all out" when it comes to the power supply as it is never the component to compromise. You want to remain in the optimal efficiency range (around 80%) even when at max load. I personally have a Corsair AX1500i... overkill some say but a Platinum rated quality PSU for peace of mind and built to last. No regrets here. I was able to pull over 450W with a modified 980Ti under extreme conditions (two of them in SLI currently.. 900W max potential). Leaves 600W for the CPU and remaining components. It depends on your hardware and my needs are not typical either of course but it's better to have more power/quality than less should it be needed.

post #15427 of 15511 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
I have another Power Supply that i can try but a pain to do the swap over - will try this and see if i get same issue.

Is there anyway to test RAM to maybe see if the sticks maybe causing the random PC lockups

I have 4 sticks of 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 RAM - I have not tweaked these at all.

I got a response from Corsaire re: voltage fluctuations and the person responded by saying whats the issue after I expressed that exact problems i was having !
post #15428 of 15511 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

Quote: Originally Posted by Laithan View Post
IMO, go big.. 1200W minimum platinum rating. You never know what kind of power hungry components you might find yourself with. I like to go "all out" when it comes to the power supply as it is never the component to compromise. You want to remain in the optimal efficiency range (around 80%) even when at max load. I personally have a Corsair AX1500i... overkill some say but a Platinum rated quality PSU for peace of mind and built to last. No regrets here. I was able to pull over 450W with a modified 980Ti under extreme conditions (two of them in SLI currently.. 900W max potential). Leaves 600W for the CPU and remaining components. It depends on your hardware and my needs are not typical either of course but it's better to have more power/quality than less should it be needed.
Are the Rosewill PSUs any good? They have a 1200 watt for $114 on Amazon.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #15429 of 15511 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 21)
I am looking to update my PSU I have a Evga 1500 watt Super Nova from end days of x79.

I seen the 1600watt T2s at great prices but it has like 12 pcie 8pin are those just mining psu's? I currently have a i9 7980xe, apex x299 64gb DDR 4 1 nvme and a Vega Fe card.

I plan on redoing my m.2 storage soon 3 wd 1tb black and a Optane. But that PSU with that many vga ports seems pointless.

I hmcan get a season prime 1200 watt titanium for roughly same price but will that be enough power for a oced CPU and Gpu?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

post #15430 of 15511 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Are the Rosewill PSUs any good? They have a 1200 watt for $114 on Amazon.
They are hit and miss as they are essentially just re-labels... I would stay away from them TBH. I had one burn up on me a while back. Rosewill is good to save a buck on some things like an external USB case or something but for vital components I wouldn't recommend them. YMMV

Quote: Originally Posted by smrdel View Post
I have another Power Supply that i can try but a pain to do the swap over - will try this and see if i get same issue.

Is there anyway to test RAM to maybe see if the sticks maybe causing the random PC lockups

I have 4 sticks of 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 RAM - I have not tweaked these at all.

I got a response from Corsaire re: voltage fluctuations and the person responded by saying whats the issue after I expressed that exact problems i was having !

https://www.memtest86.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in