[Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club! - Page 1544 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club!

post #15431 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

Rep: 45 (Unique: 37)
I switched the asmedia drivers to the stock intel drivers and right after boot my screens went black and I had to reset. I thought that was maybe a fluke but it happened again about 6 hours later. So it is not the asmedia drivers.

My last two options are the PSU and the RAM and it looks like it is going to be awhile before I can get a decent PSU.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Clean Acrylic
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Nickel/Black 1070
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monitor, NVIDIA G-SYNC
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15432 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
https://www.memtest86.com/[/quote]

I have run the memtest86 test and 0 problems.......need to try a different PSU !

Is it possible for a m.2 drive to fail ? anyway to test a m.2 drive ?

Last edited by smrdel; 02-04-2019 at 12:47 AM.
post #15433 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by smrdel View Post
I have run the memtest86 test and 0 problems.......need to try a different PSU !

Is it possible for a m.2 drive to fail ? anyway to test a m.2 drive ?[/QUOTE]

My Support Ticket from Corsair mentions trying a different cable from power supply to GPU as well as different connection into the PSU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15434 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

No random lockups since changed GPU cable - so far so good
post #15435 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

No random lockups in like 3 or 4 days, a whole day after I changed the Asmedia drivers....
I may just go ahead and change the GPU cable also just in case.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #15436 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Windows 10 Gamer

Update: I had a random lockup just a few minutes ago. It made it all week without freezing which is not really new. I have made it a week and a half before without a random freeze instantly followed by the black screens.

Today's mail should have an IO board in it. It is for this Asus zenbook I got for $30 because it didn't work. I took it apart and cleaned it and got it working, but the IO cable is bad causing it to shut everything off every so often plus some things connected to the IO board don't work properly. If this fixes the laptop enough so it corrects most of the other issues I will go ahead and do the RMA for my PSU.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #15437 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Good news, that's a needle in the haystack right there.. hope that's really it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
Update: I had a random lockup just a few minutes ago. It made it all week without freezing which is not really new. I have made it a week and a half before without a random freeze instantly followed by the black screens.
Would I be correct in saying that you used to get "Black screens" AND "random lockups"?

Would I also be correct in saying that you no longer get the "Black screens" and now only the random lockups?

It could be possible that there are two independent issues here and wondering if you may have addressed one of them already...

This may NOT be related BUT: IMO it seems to have something to do with static electricity issues. I get lockups also occasionally when it "seems" my O/C isn't stable... even when the settings are "known stable". The strange thing is that the O/C could be stable for days/weeks and then all of a sudden for whatever reason it isn't anymore.. Shutting down/rebooting doesn't always help as it will start to lock up when loading the desktop. I learned that there is a "trick" to "fixing" it when this happens, I discovered sort of by accident... If I just reboot/reset or even shut down the system it doesn't always help however if I literally shut down then UNPLUG the power supply from the wall, press the power button on the PC (to in theory discharge any capacitors but could be placebo) plug it back in and start up the PC, I get a "overclock has failed message", I ignore it and then just reboot the system where it re-loads my O/C settings and then it is fine again for weeks. If I do this when I lock up, 100% of the time the next boot works just fine with the exact same O/C settings.

This time of year the static is everywhere being so dry and I have a habit of touching the case (mine is metal) to discharge any static before I touch any of the components inside. I get the "zap" when I touch the case... or sometimes when plugging in a USB drive... and if the PC was running that "zap" will usually lead to instability/locks.. it may take a few minutes or be instant but I find that in almost all cases I need to shut down, unplug from the wall, discharge and start over to return things to normal. I can't explain why unplugging/plugging clear this static issue (maybe someone else can) but this has happened to me so many times now it isn't a fluke and the "fix" is consistent for me. This only started this winter when it became super dry here.

FWIW

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #15438 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Damn it - Random lockup after changing GPU cable so thats not it !

Going to go through the painfull process of swapping PSU with another one I have in another PC.

If problem still exists then i am starting to feel its something on the board ? another thing i have noticed that plugging in USB devices into back of M/B locks the PC up sometimes ????
post #15439 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

Quote: Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

Would I be correct in saying that you used to get "Black screens" AND "random lockups"?

Would I also be correct in saying that you no longer get the "Black screens" and now only the random lockups?

It could be possible that there are two independent issues here and wondering if you may have addressed one of them already...

This may NOT be related BUT: IMO it seems to have something to do with static electricity issues. I get lockups also occasionally when it "seems" my O/C isn't stable... even when the settings are "known stable". The strange thing is that the O/C could be stable for days/weeks and then all of a sudden for whatever reason it isn't anymore.. Shutting down/rebooting doesn't always help as it will start to lock up when loading the desktop. I learned that there is a "trick" to "fixing" it when this happens, I discovered sort of by accident... If I just reboot/reset or even shut down the system it doesn't always help however if I literally shut down then UNPLUG the power supply from the wall, press the power button on the PC (to in theory discharge any capacitors but could be placebo) plug it back in and start up the PC, I get a "overclock has failed message", I ignore it and then just reboot the system where it re-loads my O/C settings and then it is fine again for weeks. If I do this when I lock up, 100% of the time the next boot works just fine with the exact same O/C settings.

This time of year the static is everywhere being so dry and I have a habit of touching the case (mine is metal) to discharge any static before I touch any of the components inside. I get the "zap" when I touch the case... or sometimes when plugging in a USB drive... and if the PC was running that "zap" will usually lead to instability/locks.. it may take a few minutes or be instant but I find that in almost all cases I need to shut down, unplug from the wall, discharge and start over to return things to normal. I can't explain why unplugging/plugging clear this static issue (maybe someone else can) but this has happened to me so many times now it isn't a fluke and the "fix" is consistent for me. This only started this winter when it became super dry here.

FWIW
I'm still getting the lock up followed by the black screens. The black screens happen because the system locks up. The interesting thing is that event viewer still records the nvidia error if I am not there when it locks up and sits for awhile. The error is an "nvidia driver has stopped responding and has restarted", and it shows in event viewer like ever few seconds so if it sits for a few hours there are hundreds of those errors. So the system is running but everything is frozen.
Note that if I am at my computer when it happens first things start acting weird then everything on the screens freeze including anything video wise, the program showing fan speeds and temps, and the mouse. The backlighting on the keyboard also stops responding. I reset the system and boot it back up, but there is nothing in event viewer except for the alert that the system was restarted without completely shutting down first.

Also it is not static. I thought the same exact thing like 2 years ago when it first started happening. But it has been happening for about 2 years going through all the seasons from the cold and static laden weather to the higher humidity non static laden weather.
Damn it - Random lockup after changing GPU cable so thats not it !

Going to go through the painfull process of swapping PSU with another one I have in another PC.

If problem still exists then i am starting to feel its something on the board ? another thing i have noticed that plugging in USB devices into back of M/B locks the PC up sometimes ????
I once though I was also getting the lockups whenever I would jar my desk enough for things on top to rattle because it seemed to happen twice, but those times must've been by chance because I am unable to reproduce the effect.
If you get these lockups when you jar your system or some other means and you can recreate the lockups when you do those things then you have a different problem than I do. But I have also thought it is an issue on the board.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #15440 of 15620 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

The other Power Supply makes no difference - same issue. PC locks up - screen goes black. I have tried pretty much everything and start to think something on the board is causing the issue now.

Sometimes i get random video drops - I get the gsync notification that keeps popping up

What is the event viewer you referring too - does that show what causes crash ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in