[Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club! - Page 1563 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Official] Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Owners Club!

post #15621 of 15678 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
My RIVBE just died after serving me well since release day purchase.

Where do I find another one?

Ebay only has ones from China, are those authentic or some copy cat counterfeit?

Did not see any in the overclock.net marketplace.

Thanks,
Monnie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15622 of 15678 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 05:32 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
I wouldn't think there is a big market for fake RIVBE boards... but I guess anything is possible.

My advice.. never buy a listing that uses STOCK photos. You want actual hi-res pics of the board you are buying. This allows you to inspect for bent pins, corrosion, signs of dice/ln2 use, etc.. Since eBay changed the policy for returns when a product is defective, buyers no longer have to worry about getting stuck with international shipping fees for a return (when DEFECTIVE). IMO I would study the listing, look at seller feedback, message the seller and take a chance if you feel lucky . I never care if the listing says no returns because if it is defective you just open a case, ebay will allow the return at seller's expense anyway.

There is this one in the USA but it is pricey and comes with memory... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Rampag...QAAOSwfttd2xOL

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #15623 of 15678 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 08:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Laithan,

Thanks for the reply and advice !

The one on ebay is roughly $720. Might as well bite the bullet and change platforms for that price

I noticed some of the China ones on aliexpress do not have "Asus" on the SB heatsink. Throws a flag up

Thank you,
Monnie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15624 of 15678 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 12:19 AM
New to Overborked.net

Location: Brisbane 'Straya , Beautiful one day and Flippin HOT the next .....
Rep: 176 (Unique: 113)
Quote: Originally Posted by Laithan View Post
I honestly cannot come up with a solid justification to deviate from this platform. Newer platforms wouldn't really bring me much improvement (what 10% overall?) just bragging rights. There just isn't really anything that I do that demands more processing power, more PCIe lanes, etc.. IMO a E5-1680V2 is about the best deal going right now if you already have one of these boards and need a couple extra cores. These Xeons used to be $1000 and up for the longest time but now down to $200 bucks... sell your old CPU and it is cheap cheap.
Hey man ! Still have mine . Had a code 55 usb short issue for years until I changed monitors ! The DP on the RX480 was the culprit . So back to HDMI . Now everything's back to normal I can gets me one 1680v2 !
post #15625 of 15678 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote: Originally Posted by HOMECINEMA-PC View Post
Hey man ! Still have mine . Had a code 55 usb short issue for years until I changed monitors ! The DP on the RX480 was the culprit . So back to HDMI . Now everything's back to normal I can gets me one 1680v2 !
I couldn't be happier, even bought a RIVBE for my son's "new" computer. 1680v2's are getting cheap too.

post #15626 of 15678 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:09 AM
Windows 10 Gamer

Rep: 46 (Unique: 38)
I honestly cannot come up with a solid justification to deviate from this platform. Newer platforms wouldn't really bring me much improvement (what 10% overall?) just bragging rights. There just isn't really anything that I do that demands more processing power, more PCIe lanes, etc.. IMO a E5-1680V2 is about the best deal going right now if you already have one of these boards and need a couple extra cores. These Xeons used to be $1000 and up for the longest time but now down to $200 bucks... sell your old CPU and it is cheap cheap.
How much of a difference in performance is there between the 1680v2 and the 4930k I have now? Apparently the average OC is about 4.3ghz and right now I run my 4930k @ 4.2 ghz.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Clean Acrylic
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Nickel/Black 1070
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monitor, NVIDIA G-SYNC
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #15627 of 15678 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:11 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote: Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
How much of a difference in performance is there between the 1680v2 and the 4930k I have now? Apparently the average OC is about 4.3ghz and right now I run my 4930k @ 4.2 ghz.
From my experience going from an E5-1650v2 (essentially identical to your CPU) to the E5-1680v2 wasn't earth shattering but it depends on what you are doing.

The additional cache on the 1680v2 will help a bit.. the additional (2) true cores of course will help if they are utilized. 1661 is roughly the score you will get with Cinebench with a decent overclock. This is of course a test that will take full advantage of the 4 additional cores (with hyperthreading enabled). A lot of the games now are taking advantage of more than 4 cores. Streaming while gaming, multi-tasking will all benefit from the additional cores.

Overclocking usually isn't quite as good with the 1680v2 simply because it has 2 more cores to keep cool. If you have a decent chip and sufficient cooling it should hit 4.5Ghz on all cores without much trouble. I was able to get 4.6Ghz on all cores so far but I have not put a lot of time into it to be honest as I just want stability. Gains beyond 4.5Ghz are going to be minimal anyway. Having said that I could get my 1650v2 to 4.8Ghz all cores, benchmark stable only.

Lastly, I think the main reason to upgrade is longevity of the RIVBE. Without this CPU you are going to be limited to 6 cores if you want to overclock. The 1680v2 breathes fresh life into the platform bringing it more into x99 territory and it is also unlocked. Mainstream "desktop" CPUs are now 8-core/16-thread (9900#) and although this CPU is not as fast and cannot overclock as high, the reality is that the performance you will get at the end of the day will be RELATIVE to the 9900#... simply because Intel hasn't really significantly increased IPC and 8 cores/16 threads running at 4.5Ghz is not going to disappoint regardless of the architecture. Keep in mind all the lanes we get with x79.

Or, you could buy a brand new motherboard (equivalent to the RIVBE, so high end), all new memory (you'd need DDR4) a new CPU and maybe even a new cooler to get 8 cores/16 threads... so IMO this is a bargain when you can upgrade to 8 core/16 threads for around $150 total cost..

post #15628 of 15678 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:56 PM
Windows 10 Gamer

Rep: 46 (Unique: 38)
From my experience going from an E5-1650v2 (essentially identical to your CPU) to the E5-1680v2 wasn't earth shattering but it depends on what you are doing.

The additional cache on the 1680v2 will help a bit.. the additional (2) true cores of course will help if they are utilized. 1661 is roughly the score you will get with Cinebench with a decent overclock. This is of course a test that will take full advantage of the 4 additional cores (with hyperthreading enabled). A lot of the games now are taking advantage of more than 4 cores. Streaming while gaming, multi-tasking will all benefit from the additional cores.

Overclocking usually isn't quite as good with the 1680v2 simply because it has 2 more cores to keep cool. If you have a decent chip and sufficient cooling it should hit 4.5Ghz on all cores without much trouble. I was able to get 4.6Ghz on all cores so far but I have not put a lot of time into it to be honest as I just want stability. Gains beyond 4.5Ghz are going to be minimal anyway. Having said that I could get my 1650v2 to 4.8Ghz all cores, benchmark stable only.

Lastly, I think the main reason to upgrade is longevity of the RIVBE. Without this CPU you are going to be limited to 6 cores if you want to overclock. The 1680v2 breathes fresh life into the platform bringing it more into x99 territory and it is also unlocked. Mainstream "desktop" CPUs are now 8-core/16-thread (9900#) and although this CPU is not as fast and cannot overclock as high, the reality is that the performance you will get at the end of the day will be RELATIVE to the 9900#... simply because Intel hasn't really significantly increased IPC and 8 cores/16 threads running at 4.5Ghz is not going to disappoint regardless of the architecture. Keep in mind all the lanes we get with x79.

Or, you could buy a brand new motherboard (equivalent to the RIVBE, so high end), all new memory (you'd need DDR4) a new CPU and maybe even a new cooler to get 8 cores/16 threads... so IMO this is a bargain when you can upgrade to 8 core/16 threads for around $150 total cost..
Sounds good. I honestly need to start saving to upgrade my system. My MB has had an issue for a few years now where the screens go black and the only way to fix it is for a hard restart. After all my troubleshooting (with tons of help) Nothing comes up as the culprit. So I am leaning towards some kind of voltage regulation issue on the MB. For a while I thought it was the video card (some nvidia error) but I have had 3 or 4 different cards in this system since my 980 and it did it for everyone, and I do not get that error in event viewer unless I leave the system alone for some time after the black screens.
Either way the point is I really need a new MB and if I do that I might as well upgrade....lol. But that may not happen for quite some time now so the 1680v2 seems somewhat viable....lol.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Clean Acrylic
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Nickel/Black 1070
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monitor, NVIDIA G-SYNC
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #15629 of 15678 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 12:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rampage IV Black with i7-4960x in my backup rig right now I am trying to really see what I can do with the OC. Using h100i Pro and 2x GTX 1080 SLI with evga hybrid waterblocks. Right now running at 4.6Ghz @ 1.4V which seems high voltage when I look at other peoples results but can run through Blender/3dMark without freezing, etc. I dont see temps over 70 C in HWMonitor either. 12415 Time Spy, nothing to brag about, wondering what others are pulling with this board in 2020. Great board btw, probably the best I have ever owned.
post #15630 of 15678 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote: Originally Posted by z390e View Post
Rampage IV Black with i7-4960x in my backup rig right now I am trying to really see what I can do with the OC. Using h100i Pro and 2x GTX 1080 SLI with evga hybrid waterblocks. Right now running at 4.6Ghz @ 1.4V which seems high voltage when I look at other peoples results but can run through Blender/3dMark without freezing, etc. I dont see temps over 70 C in HWMonitor either. 12415 Time Spy, nothing to brag about, wondering what others are pulling with this board in 2020. Great board btw, probably the best I have ever owned.
Once you reach 1.4v you probably don't have any additional overclocking headroom. Having said that, 4.6Ghz (assuming on all cores) is not bad at all and quite good. Some can do 4.7/4.8 but you're close enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in