[Official] MSI X99S/A Motherboard Owners Club - Page 325 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] MSI X99S/A Motherboard Owners Club

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3241 of 3251 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Overclocker in training
 
ThrashZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 5,245
Rep: 31 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post
It also says:

PWM control allows for automatic pump speed regulation depending on your CPU temperature. Full performance on demand or whisper quiet operation in idle mode!


How does that work if the power is coming from a molex?
Hi,
Just means the speed adjustments are not made by DC voltage.

CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 pro & 10 pro
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 and 10 pro
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
ThrashZone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3242 of 3251 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:16 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
Rep: 0
Hey guys. I have the MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon MoBo with an Intel core I7-5820k cpu and was wondering if there is a page or something dedicated to overclocking this chip on this specific board, cpu, and where to find it. Yes, I am aware this may have already been answered here in this thread but hell if Ima go through over 300+ pages to find that answer.....lol. I can tell you I have attempted to O/C this via the board and bios auto O/C switches and the results were horrible. My temps jumped up to 90c in mere minutes(about 5 to be exact). I'm running the Corsair h150i pro rgb water cooler AIO on it. I came across something on the internet that spoke of some of these 5820k's just running hot all the time and with these temps I'm starting to think that's what's going on with mine cause I see SOOOOOO many people running this cpu o/c'ed to 4.4ghz and over and it runs at around 70c for them. I am now dreaming of getting those good temps on this thing! If not, ima just dump this board and cpu and go with the new(newer) 300 series board and a I7-8700k. Thanks guys!
cougar214 is offline  
post #3243 of 3251 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:32 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
JarleH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 102
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hi

Still running my 5820K and MSI X99A SLI Krait Ed, Windows 10 1803 version.

When I first got the 1809 update back in December, I were not able to update. After installing and rebooting the PC, it froze on Windows splash screen with the rotating dots. I searched the problem and found someone saying to disable Intel VD-T in BIOS, so I did. When I got the 1809 update again 2 days ago, same thing happened: after installing and rebooting the PC, it froze on Windows splash screen with the rotating dots. Restarting the PC rolled back the update, and the PC is working, but I want to fix this problem.

So I have 2 questions:
1) Anyone here had problems with the Win10 1809 update? And if so how did you fix it?

2) Which BIOS should I upgrade to? I ask since the 7885vN9 has the Meltdown and Spectre microcode fix, which can by itself be a problem? And the latest 7885vNA1 BIOS is beta, and not advised by MSI themself to use(?). So, which BIOS should I update to?

I have found info about this 1809 update problem, and especially problems with MSI boards and 1809 update. As of right now I am considering updating the BIOS and use MS's Media Creation Tool to run the update manually. But I would like to see if I can get some more info here on the problem before doing so.
JarleH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3244 of 3251 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
ithree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 17
Rep: 0
With X99A-XPOWER-AC and Broadwell-E 6800K, even with latest MSI BIOS to specifically address 1809 issues, I've still not been able to update to 1809.

At least with new BIOS, booting from 1809 media creation tool USB stick will at least make it into windows setup (unlike previous BIOS), but if you boot directly from the media then you can't "in-place update" your installation, only re-install windows losing all apps/settings, which I'm not interested in doing.

If you run "setup.exe" from the 1809 media to update your current installation of windows, it still fails during first phase of boot for me (long hang during first boot, then reboot into rollback).

I've tried replacing all the intel chipset drivers with the originals from MSI for my motherboard as others have suggested, but still same problem.

I've essentially given up on 1809 and now waiting for next major windows version to try update again.

Since I don't buy a fresh motherboard every generation, and I expect a flagship mobo to last at least 5 years with BIOS/driver updates to keep up with Windows and microcode security fixes, I won't be returning to MSI based on my experience with this X99 board.



See this thread for more info about 1809 issues on MSI boards... https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=309933.0

Maybe some of the suggestions presented there will work for you. Unfortunately they did not for me.
ithree is offline  
post #3245 of 3251 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:08 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
JarleH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 102
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by ithree View Post
With X99A-XPOWER-AC and Broadwell-E 6800K, even with latest MSI BIOS to specifically address 1809 issues, I've still not been able to update to 1809.

At least with new BIOS, booting from 1809 media creation tool USB stick will at least make it into windows setup (unlike previous BIOS), but if you boot directly from the media then you can't "in-place update" your installation, only re-install windows losing all apps/settings, which I'm not interested in doing.

If you run "setup.exe" from the 1809 media to update your current installation of windows, it still fails during first phase of boot for me (long hang during first boot, then reboot into rollback).

I've tried replacing all the intel chipset drivers with the originals from MSI for my motherboard as others have suggested, but still same problem.

I've essentially given up on 1809 and now waiting for next major windows version to try update again.

Since I don't buy a fresh motherboard every generation, and I expect a flagship mobo to last at least 5 years with BIOS/driver updates to keep up with Windows and microcode security fixes, I won't be returning to MSI based on my experience with this X99 board.



See this thread for more info about 1809 issues on MSI boards... https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=309933.0

Maybe some of the suggestions presented there will work for you. Unfortunately they did not for me.
Thanks for the reply! I am like you, unsure what to do with 1809, maybe just forget about it and wait for next update (scheduled for april it looks like).

From that thread you posted, I can see 2-3 possible solutions, but not sure I want to bother with it:
- disabling hypter-threading is listed as possible solution
- updating to the beta bios is listed as the official method to fix the problem, but still people are saying it did not help with the beta bios (also I do not like that MSI them self write its NOT advised to update to the beta bios)
- try uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel drivers, but I can see this is not an easy task

Let me also add that when running SetupDiag, Diag found no problems, even I can see the error code in the Win Update log.

One thing I CAN say is that I do not think MSI will be my next motherboard, guess I will go back to Asus.

Still got one question:
Should I update to the 7885vN9 bios? This lists "Intel micro code" as a fix, is this Meltdown/Spectre fixes? And can this lead to other bugs (think I can remember the fix for these 2 issues created new problems/loss of performance)?
JarleH is offline  
post #3246 of 3251 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:22 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
ithree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 17
Rep: 0
I did install the latest beta BIOS, and it does allow 1809 setup to at least boot from media, but it still does not work for me running "setup" from media in order to do in-place update.

Beta BIOS did not have any other problems, of course have to manually re-create all OC profiles/settings because different BIOS.

I've tried deleting of intel chipset drivers, reinstalling original MSI ones, lots of combinations of that, but 1809 update still fails in first reboot ("SAFE_OS" failure).

I finally decided to punt to next windows release. But I suspect it will still require that latest BIOS so you might as well bite the bullet on that transition.
ithree is offline  
post #3247 of 3251 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:49 PM
nVidia Enthusiast
 
pvt.joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 772
Rep: 41 (Unique: 34)
Anybody know how to force the rearranging of pci-e lanes? I've been fighting for a month to try and get a 2nd pci-e card added without gimping my m.2 to x2 or gpu to x8.. I've tried an x4 card and an x8 card, every time the added card runs full speed, but depending on the slot I put it in, it either cuts both gpu and m.2 in half, or just 1 of them. It's driving me up the wall to the point of looking to upgrade.
Running an x99a SLI Krait and 5930k so I know it's not an issue with being out of usable pci-e lanes, it's just the stupid config in the bios of how they have them forced to work.

Colorado OCN Users!
CO OCN Gamers Steam Group
Loki
(19 items)
Odin (fileserver)
(15 items)
Kratos
(9 items)
CPU
Intel i7 5930k
Motherboard
MSI X99A SLI Krait
GPU
Evga GTX 1080TI FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 1tb
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB m.2
Optical Drive
Asus BW-12B1ST
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Corsair H100
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
2x Dell U2412M in Nvidia Surround
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU
Keyboard
Das Keyboard v4 Professional
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mousepad
Glorious Gaming XXL
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
Audio
Sennheiser HD 650
Audio
HiFiMan EF2A
CPU
Xeon X5650
CPU
Xeon X5650
Motherboard
Supermicro X8DTL-iF-O
GPU
Galaxy GT210 1gb
RAM
96gb DDR3 ECC
Hard Drive
Corsair Force 3 60gb (boot)
Hard Drive
3TB Hitachi x 12
Hard Drive
1TB Hitachi x 12
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12DX
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12DX
Case
Norco RPC 4224
Operating System
Windows Server 2012 R2
Other
LSI Megaraid Sas 9261-8I
Other
Intel RES2CV240 20 Port SAS Expander
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
Motherboard
Gigabyte P35Xv6-PC4K4D
GPU
Geforce 1070
Hard Drive
1TB 7200rpm HDD
Hard Drive
512gb M.2 SSD
Optical Drive
DVDRW
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
15" 4K IPS Panel
Mouse
Razer Orochi
▲ hide details ▲


pvt.joker is offline  
post #3248 of 3251 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:02 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
davidm71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 986
Rep: 21 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by pvt.joker View Post
Anybody know how to force the rearranging of pci-e lanes? I've been fighting for a month to try and get a 2nd pci-e card added without gimping my m.2 to x2 or gpu to x8.. I've tried an x4 card and an x8 card, every time the added card runs full speed, but depending on the slot I put it in, it either cuts both gpu and m.2 in half, or just 1 of them. It's driving me up the wall to the point of looking to upgrade.
Running an x99a SLI Krait and 5930k so I know it's not an issue with being out of usable pci-e lanes, it's just the stupid config in the bios of how they have them forced to work.
I was able to add another M.2 card running at full 8X off of last PCI-E slot and still have the onboard M.2 run at 8X and still have two GPUs running at 16X each:

https://www.win-raid.com/t3323f16-Gu...CI-E-slot.html

Required modding the bios inside out.

Gigabyte Auros Master Z390 - 9900K @ 5.0ghz (3.22v)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2 x 8GB 3200mhz XMP
EVGA 1080 FTW2 in SLI - Corsair H1200i PSU
Heatkiller IV Cpu Block - 240 + 360 Rads
davidm71 is offline  
post #3249 of 3251 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:08 PM
nVidia Enthusiast
 
pvt.joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 772
Rep: 41 (Unique: 34)
Quote: Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post
I was able to add another M.2 card running at full 8X off of last PCI-E slot and still have the onboard M.2 run at 8X and still have two GPUs running at 16X each:

https://www.win-raid.com/t3323f16-Gu...CI-E-slot.html

Required modding the bios inside out.
I knew I'd read something earlier in the thread about someone trying to get this working, thanks for the link.. I'll dig into it tomorrow (when I'm sober and bored with work)
Thanks!
It'd make my life a lot easier if I could just get this 10gb nic working without slowing anything else down in the process! I even pulled my x1 sound card to try and free up some lanes, but to no avail.

Colorado OCN Users!
CO OCN Gamers Steam Group
Loki
(19 items)
Odin (fileserver)
(15 items)
Kratos
(9 items)
CPU
Intel i7 5930k
Motherboard
MSI X99A SLI Krait
GPU
Evga GTX 1080TI FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 1tb
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB m.2
Optical Drive
Asus BW-12B1ST
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Corsair H100
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
2x Dell U2412M in Nvidia Surround
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU
Keyboard
Das Keyboard v4 Professional
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mousepad
Glorious Gaming XXL
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
Audio
Sennheiser HD 650
Audio
HiFiMan EF2A
CPU
Xeon X5650
CPU
Xeon X5650
Motherboard
Supermicro X8DTL-iF-O
GPU
Galaxy GT210 1gb
RAM
96gb DDR3 ECC
Hard Drive
Corsair Force 3 60gb (boot)
Hard Drive
3TB Hitachi x 12
Hard Drive
1TB Hitachi x 12
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12DX
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12DX
Case
Norco RPC 4224
Operating System
Windows Server 2012 R2
Other
LSI Megaraid Sas 9261-8I
Other
Intel RES2CV240 20 Port SAS Expander
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
Motherboard
Gigabyte P35Xv6-PC4K4D
GPU
Geforce 1070
Hard Drive
1TB 7200rpm HDD
Hard Drive
512gb M.2 SSD
Optical Drive
DVDRW
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
15" 4K IPS Panel
Mouse
Razer Orochi
▲ hide details ▲


pvt.joker is offline  
post #3250 of 3251 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:48 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
davidm71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 986
Rep: 21 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by pvt.joker View Post
I knew I'd read something earlier in the thread about someone trying to get this working, thanks for the link.. I'll dig into it tomorrow (when I'm sober and bored with work)
Thanks!
It'd make my life a lot easier if I could just get this 10gb nic working without slowing anything else down in the process! I even pulled my x1 sound card to try and free up some lanes, but to no avail.
Yeah definitely no modding while your under the influence!

Gigabyte Auros Master Z390 - 9900K @ 5.0ghz (3.22v)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2 x 8GB 3200mhz XMP
EVGA 1080 FTW2 in SLI - Corsair H1200i PSU
Heatkiller IV Cpu Block - 240 + 360 Rads
davidm71 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off