790i Ultra NVIDIA chipset - Still rockin' in 2015 / 2016 / 2017.. will it ever die? - Page 102 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

790i Ultra NVIDIA chipset - Still rockin' in 2015 / 2016 / 2017.. will it ever die?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1011 of 1020 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 08:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ericyu049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 3
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Thanks for the GPU suggestions. I will probably go with a 1050Ti.

So I have been working with another Chinese seller that manufactures custom waterblocks to make a NB/SB block for me.
They usually have the buyer send them the motherboard/gpu so they can make accurate measurements, but since I am in the US it's not worth it to send him my board, so we have been sending each other CAD drawings to come up with the design of the block, and I also confirmed whether the design will fit using my 3d printer.

The cost of the block itself is 500RMB, which is about $70 USD without shipping.

He will be shipping it later today, and here are the pictures of the completed block that he sent me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20200621225702.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	356080  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20200621225710.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	356082  

ericyu049 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1012 of 1020 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed
 
Laithan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,867
Rep: 502 (Unique: 267)
That's awesome, can't wait to hear how it works out

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside


Laithan is online now  
post #1013 of 1020 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Xeon Overclocker
 
Servos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 284
Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
That looks fly.
What mosfet heatsinks are you going to use?
Attached Images
 

Mystery Meat
(15 items)
790i Overkill
(12 items)
HTPC
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-1680 V2
Motherboard
RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
GPU
zotac gtx 980
GPU
zotac gtx 980
RAM
G.skill trident 2133 64gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Intel 900p
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Case
Caselabs Mercury s8
Operating System
Windows 10
Keyboard
WASD Green switches
Mouse
G502 Proteus Core logitech
Audio
Soundblaster AE-5
Audio
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Audio
Superlux HD 681 Headphones
CPU
INTEL X5470
Motherboard
EVGA 790I FTW
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
RAM
Patriot Viper pvs34g2000llkn
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
Sandisk 3D SSD
Optical Drive
SuperWriter DVD
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Cooling
Corsair H100i
Case
Corsair 540 Air
Operating System
Windows 7
CPU
Intel 4670s
Motherboard
Asrock H97M-ITX
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI
RAM
G.SKILL Ares 1600
Hard Drive
Kingston 240GB SSD
Power Supply
EVGA 500B
Case
Cooler Master 130 Elite
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
Keyboard
Logitech K400
▲ hide details ▲
Servos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1014 of 1020 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 11:28 AM
Xeon Overclocker
 
Servos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 284
Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
Time for an update I suppose:

With Covid19 restrictions I've been stuck either gaming, remodeling the house, or working on the ole 790i rig. I ended up trading a GTX1080 for a XFX DD 5700, which was installed in my HTPC. I ended up finding a Titan Xp (Jedi collection edition) on ebay for an OK price. It works without issues. At stock speeds it wasn't much of a bump from the 1080 amp edition, but the titan oc's a bit. I was able to get it to 2050 core and +300 mem. In terms of noise however, the thing sounds like a jet engine during take off. I suspect an after market 1080ti, such as the AMP extreme, may ultimately perform better on this platform.

I tried playing with the CPU OC as well, but really only exceeded in 12 hours spent, +100mhz, and a few more grey hairs. This chip seems to cap out right at 4.2ghz. I tried using 2 ram dimms, different dimms, and an array of fsb settings trying to jump over any "fsb holes". In the end it just wouldn't go one step further.
During all of the OC attemps, I did find out that my dimm4 socket is a bit loose. When mounting the ram cooler I'd occasionally be stuck at "80" or "C1" debug codes. Before I caught this I figured the OC settings weren't stable and would try something else. Re-seating the ram once or twice seems to fix the issue. If it gets worse I may have to replace it.
Once I settled on 4.2ghz on the CPU, I tried playing with the PCIe and MCP-MPP timings. With the m.2 to PCIE card I couldn't even do 101mhz on the PCIe buss as Samsung 950pro boot drive would no longer be recognized. I switched to a SATA SSD which ultimately allowed for a 110mhz on the PCIe, and 103 on the MCP-MPP. Firestrike scores went up by 300 points consistently, but not enough to get rid of the m.2 PCIe card.
So if the loose ram slot alone didn't trip me up enough, getting the m.2 to PCIe card to work again did. Even after resetting the BIOS it just wouldn't register. After too much trial and error, ultimately it was due to disabling the onboard lans. Out of habit I disable onboard devices that I don't use: serial, 3rd party SATA ports, audio... I'm not sure of the reason, but when the lan ports are disabled the board hangs after the raid sequence. I did notice that after raid is loaded there's a message about something couldn't be evoked (which if I recall was the lan). Wasted about an hour or two there. FYI for those that try using an NVME drive.

Attached are the Firestrike scores and another run of CrystalDiskMark6. CDM6 scores went up a bit in most tests. I compared my Firestrike results to Liathan's (dual 980's: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...l#post23708043). I'd say that results are comparable. The Titan Xp beats out 980SLI, but a 300mhz faster CPU weighs more at lower resolutions. Considering how bottle-necked the GPU is, I'm not surprised.

Further work:
1. For this rig, more acrylic work. RGB IO cover, new cover for the Titan Xp, and make a cover for the m.2 PCIe card.
2. Try a 1080ti Amp Extreme card. I may even trade the Titan Xp for one, but would try to borrow one first.
3. Possibly track down some more X5470's, one that can do >4.2ghz
4. Still on the hunt for a Cyclone Microsystems PCIe multiplier. I found one for ~$1000 on ebay earlier in the year, but couldn't justify the price. Maybe in 10 years or so I can get one cheap enough to try out. Up to quad sli on Titan Xp's and the quad m.2 both on X16 slots... I think we could officially put this in as an example for the word "bottleneck" in the dictionary.

Also, if you were a fan of Castlevania, Symphony of the Night - try Bloodstained. End game gets too easy if you grind, but hard + new game plus is where it gets fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firestrikeTitanXp.png
Views:	7
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	358722  

Attached Images
 

Mystery Meat
(15 items)
790i Overkill
(12 items)
HTPC
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-1680 V2
Motherboard
RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
GPU
zotac gtx 980
GPU
zotac gtx 980
RAM
G.skill trident 2133 64gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Intel 900p
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Case
Caselabs Mercury s8
Operating System
Windows 10
Keyboard
WASD Green switches
Mouse
G502 Proteus Core logitech
Audio
Soundblaster AE-5
Audio
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Audio
Superlux HD 681 Headphones
CPU
INTEL X5470
Motherboard
EVGA 790I FTW
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
RAM
Patriot Viper pvs34g2000llkn
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
Sandisk 3D SSD
Optical Drive
SuperWriter DVD
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Cooling
Corsair H100i
Case
Corsair 540 Air
Operating System
Windows 7
CPU
Intel 4670s
Motherboard
Asrock H97M-ITX
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI
RAM
G.SKILL Ares 1600
Hard Drive
Kingston 240GB SSD
Power Supply
EVGA 500B
Case
Cooler Master 130 Elite
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
Keyboard
Logitech K400
▲ hide details ▲
Servos is offline  
post #1015 of 1020 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 12:24 AM
Nvidia "shill"
 
TwilightRavens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Hell
Posts: 1,391
Rep: 28 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by Servos View Post
Time for an update I suppose:

With Covid19 restrictions I've been stuck either gaming, remodeling the house, or working on the ole 790i rig. I ended up trading a GTX1080 for a XFX DD 5700, which was installed in my HTPC. I ended up finding a Titan Xp (Jedi collection edition) on ebay for an OK price. It works without issues. At stock speeds it wasn't much of a bump from the 1080 amp edition, but the titan oc's a bit. I was able to get it to 2050 core and +300 mem. In terms of noise however, the thing sounds like a jet engine during take off. I suspect an after market 1080ti, such as the AMP extreme, may ultimately perform better on this platform.

I tried playing with the CPU OC as well, but really only exceeded in 12 hours spent, +100mhz, and a few more grey hairs. This chip seems to cap out right at 4.2ghz. I tried using 2 ram dimms, different dimms, and an array of fsb settings trying to jump over any "fsb holes". In the end it just wouldn't go one step further.
During all of the OC attemps, I did find out that my dimm4 socket is a bit loose. When mounting the ram cooler I'd occasionally be stuck at "80" or "C1" debug codes. Before I caught this I figured the OC settings weren't stable and would try something else. Re-seating the ram once or twice seems to fix the issue. If it gets worse I may have to replace it.
Once I settled on 4.2ghz on the CPU, I tried playing with the PCIe and MCP-MPP timings. With the m.2 to PCIE card I couldn't even do 101mhz on the PCIe buss as Samsung 950pro boot drive would no longer be recognized. I switched to a SATA SSD which ultimately allowed for a 110mhz on the PCIe, and 103 on the MCP-MPP. Firestrike scores went up by 300 points consistently, but not enough to get rid of the m.2 PCIe card.
So if the loose ram slot alone didn't trip me up enough, getting the m.2 to PCIe card to work again did. Even after resetting the BIOS it just wouldn't register. After too much trial and error, ultimately it was due to disabling the onboard lans. Out of habit I disable onboard devices that I don't use: serial, 3rd party SATA ports, audio... I'm not sure of the reason, but when the lan ports are disabled the board hangs after the raid sequence. I did notice that after raid is loaded there's a message about something couldn't be evoked (which if I recall was the lan). Wasted about an hour or two there. FYI for those that try using an NVME drive.

Attached are the Firestrike scores and another run of CrystalDiskMark6. CDM6 scores went up a bit in most tests. I compared my Firestrike results to Liathan's (dual 980's: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...l#post23708043). I'd say that results are comparable. The Titan Xp beats out 980SLI, but a 300mhz faster CPU weighs more at lower resolutions. Considering how bottle-necked the GPU is, I'm not surprised.

Further work:
1. For this rig, more acrylic work. RGB IO cover, new cover for the Titan Xp, and make a cover for the m.2 PCIe card.
2. Try a 1080ti Amp Extreme card. I may even trade the Titan Xp for one, but would try to borrow one first.
3. Possibly track down some more X5470's, one that can do >4.2ghz
4. Still on the hunt for a Cyclone Microsystems PCIe multiplier. I found one for ~$1000 on ebay earlier in the year, but couldn't justify the price. Maybe in 10 years or so I can get one cheap enough to try out. Up to quad sli on Titan Xp's and the quad m.2 both on X16 slots... I think we could officially put this in as an example for the word "bottleneck" in the dictionary.

Also, if you were a fan of Castlevania, Symphony of the Night - try Bloodstained. End game gets too easy if you grind, but hard + new game plus is where it gets fun.
Honestly if you aren't space constrained you could throw a Arctic Accelero III on that Titan, that cooler while yes ugly, is virtually silent even with fans at 100%.


It looks like this on my 1080 ti (sorry i can't find the picture of just the card itself) but I think this would be a more realistic look as its in a system.

Edit: There is the card out of the system

CPU’s I’ve owned: Pentium III-S 1400MHz, P4 630, P4 631, C2D E6320, C2D E6700, X3230, QX9650, X5470, i5 655K, i7 3770K ES, Pentium 2020M, i3 4130T, i5 4690K, i7 5775C, Athlon XP 3200+, E2-1800, Athlon 64 X2 1.8GHz, A10 4600M, Ryzen 5 2600X, Ryzen 9 3900X

GPU’s I‘ve owned: GeForce2 MX400, 8800GTX, GTX 285, GTX 660 SLI, GT 1030, GTX 1070, GTX 1080, GTX 1080 ti, x1300, R9 380, R9 290X, Iris Pro 6200.
Venus
(22 items)
Mars
(10 items)
Jupiter
(15 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
ASRock X570 Taichi
GPU
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Armor OC (2.1GHz/12004MHz)
GPU
MSI GT 1030 OC 2GB (GDDR5)
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Neo RGB 3800MHz 2 x 16GB (16-16-16-32) 1T (Tuned sub-timings) 1.452v
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD 250GB
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf 4TB NAS 7200RPM HDD
Hard Drive
Crucial M500 960GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT960M500SSD1 (purchased in 2015)
Optical Drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 750W PQ (Semi modular)
Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
Cooling
Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM (exhaust fan)
Cooling
4 x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (H100i V2 fans)
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass ATX Full Tower
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64 1909
Monitor
Sceptre 27" Curved 144Hz Gaming LED Monitor Edge-Less AMD FreeSync DisplayPort HDMI, Metal Black 2019 (C275B-144RN)
Monitor
Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Ultra-Thin Zero Frame Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero Gaming Mouse
Other
Thermaltake Commander FT Touch Screen 5.25 inch fan controller
Other
Corsair Vengeance Airflow Memory Cooling Fan CMYAF
Other
ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III
CPU
Intel i7-5775C 4GHz 1.2v
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
RAM
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400MHz (2x8GB) 11-13-13-31
Cooling
Thermaltake 7-bladed 92mm
Case
Fractal Design Node 202 Black Mini-ITX
Operating System
Something besides windows 10, literally anything but windows 10
Monitor
Probably a tv
Keyboard
None, controller operated
Mouse
None, controller operated
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600 Stock PBO
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 (b-die) 3600MHz (16GB) (16-16-16-36) 1.45v
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf NAS 4TB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Prism AM4 Cooler
Case
DEEPCOOL ATX Case Kendomen TI
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy
Mouse
Logitech Mini Wireless Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by TwilightRavens; 07-05-2020 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Found the picture
TwilightRavens is offline  
post #1016 of 1020 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Xeon Overclocker
 
Servos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 284
Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
Now that's an idea. I forgot about Arctic's Accelero line. I have one on an HD4670 agp on my dual P3-s rig that works really well.
I've seen mentions of the Morpheus II Core Addition, but no reviews until you mention the Accelero. While it looks better, taking up 4 slots is too much for this rig.

The Accelero III or IV looks promising. Honestly a bit of paint on the fan blades and decals and it wouldn't bee to bad. I'll have to measure out a few things but seems the way to go!

Mystery Meat
(15 items)
790i Overkill
(12 items)
HTPC
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-1680 V2
Motherboard
RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
GPU
zotac gtx 980
GPU
zotac gtx 980
RAM
G.skill trident 2133 64gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Intel 900p
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Case
Caselabs Mercury s8
Operating System
Windows 10
Keyboard
WASD Green switches
Mouse
G502 Proteus Core logitech
Audio
Soundblaster AE-5
Audio
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Audio
Superlux HD 681 Headphones
CPU
INTEL X5470
Motherboard
EVGA 790I FTW
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
RAM
Patriot Viper pvs34g2000llkn
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
Sandisk 3D SSD
Optical Drive
SuperWriter DVD
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Cooling
Corsair H100i
Case
Corsair 540 Air
Operating System
Windows 7
CPU
Intel 4670s
Motherboard
Asrock H97M-ITX
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI
RAM
G.SKILL Ares 1600
Hard Drive
Kingston 240GB SSD
Power Supply
EVGA 500B
Case
Cooler Master 130 Elite
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
Keyboard
Logitech K400
▲ hide details ▲
Servos is offline  
post #1017 of 1020 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 01:40 PM
Nvidia "shill"
 
TwilightRavens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Hell
Posts: 1,391
Rep: 28 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by Servos View Post
Now that's an idea. I forgot about Arctic's Accelero line. I have one on an HD4670 agp on my dual P3-s rig that works really well.
I've seen mentions of the Morpheus II Core Addition, but no reviews until you mention the Accelero. While it looks better, taking up 4 slots is too much for this rig.

The Accelero III or IV looks promising. Honestly a bit of paint on the fan blades and decals and it wouldn't bee to bad. I'll have to measure out a few things but seems the way to go!

The Accelero III is big, but I’m still able to use the next PCI-E slot down from it though it is a tight fit. My 1080 ti on the stock MSI cooler ran about 75-81C now it hangs around in the 50’s except when GPU is really hammered it’ll go to 60C.

CPU’s I’ve owned: Pentium III-S 1400MHz, P4 630, P4 631, C2D E6320, C2D E6700, X3230, QX9650, X5470, i5 655K, i7 3770K ES, Pentium 2020M, i3 4130T, i5 4690K, i7 5775C, Athlon XP 3200+, E2-1800, Athlon 64 X2 1.8GHz, A10 4600M, Ryzen 5 2600X, Ryzen 9 3900X

GPU’s I‘ve owned: GeForce2 MX400, 8800GTX, GTX 285, GTX 660 SLI, GT 1030, GTX 1070, GTX 1080, GTX 1080 ti, x1300, R9 380, R9 290X, Iris Pro 6200.
Venus
(22 items)
Mars
(10 items)
Jupiter
(15 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
ASRock X570 Taichi
GPU
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Armor OC (2.1GHz/12004MHz)
GPU
MSI GT 1030 OC 2GB (GDDR5)
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Neo RGB 3800MHz 2 x 16GB (16-16-16-32) 1T (Tuned sub-timings) 1.452v
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD 250GB
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf 4TB NAS 7200RPM HDD
Hard Drive
Crucial M500 960GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT960M500SSD1 (purchased in 2015)
Optical Drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 750W PQ (Semi modular)
Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
Cooling
Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM (exhaust fan)
Cooling
4 x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (H100i V2 fans)
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass ATX Full Tower
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64 1909
Monitor
Sceptre 27" Curved 144Hz Gaming LED Monitor Edge-Less AMD FreeSync DisplayPort HDMI, Metal Black 2019 (C275B-144RN)
Monitor
Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Ultra-Thin Zero Frame Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero Gaming Mouse
Other
Thermaltake Commander FT Touch Screen 5.25 inch fan controller
Other
Corsair Vengeance Airflow Memory Cooling Fan CMYAF
Other
ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III
CPU
Intel i7-5775C 4GHz 1.2v
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
RAM
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400MHz (2x8GB) 11-13-13-31
Cooling
Thermaltake 7-bladed 92mm
Case
Fractal Design Node 202 Black Mini-ITX
Operating System
Something besides windows 10, literally anything but windows 10
Monitor
Probably a tv
Keyboard
None, controller operated
Mouse
None, controller operated
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600 Stock PBO
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 (b-die) 3600MHz (16GB) (16-16-16-36) 1.45v
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Hard Drive
Seagate IronWolf NAS 4TB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Prism AM4 Cooler
Case
DEEPCOOL ATX Case Kendomen TI
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy
Mouse
Logitech Mini Wireless Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
TwilightRavens is offline  
post #1018 of 1020 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 03:00 PM
Xeon Overclocker
 
Servos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 284
Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
After some though, I decided to tear the 790i rig down............ to go full water cooling.

The regular TitanXp block fits, but you can tell that there was supposed to be DVI rather than a display port. It won't be very visible though.
In another turn of good luck I found an EVGA 790i FTW Digital that should be here later this week. Performance-Pcs still had the mosfet block, but takes the same elusive NB/SB as the Ultra or FTW boards. I'm trying to get one made by the same person as ericyu049, but communication is tricky even through someone that knows Mandarin.
I'm hoping to have everything back together by the end of next month if I can bet the NB/SB worked out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200713_173345.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	4.02 MB
ID:	360266  


Mystery Meat
(15 items)
790i Overkill
(12 items)
HTPC
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-1680 V2
Motherboard
RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
GPU
zotac gtx 980
GPU
zotac gtx 980
RAM
G.skill trident 2133 64gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Intel 900p
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Case
Caselabs Mercury s8
Operating System
Windows 10
Keyboard
WASD Green switches
Mouse
G502 Proteus Core logitech
Audio
Soundblaster AE-5
Audio
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Audio
Superlux HD 681 Headphones
CPU
INTEL X5470
Motherboard
EVGA 790I FTW
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
RAM
Patriot Viper pvs34g2000llkn
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
Sandisk 3D SSD
Optical Drive
SuperWriter DVD
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Cooling
Corsair H100i
Case
Corsair 540 Air
Operating System
Windows 7
CPU
Intel 4670s
Motherboard
Asrock H97M-ITX
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI
RAM
G.SKILL Ares 1600
Hard Drive
Kingston 240GB SSD
Power Supply
EVGA 500B
Case
Cooler Master 130 Elite
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
Keyboard
Logitech K400
▲ hide details ▲
Servos is offline  
post #1019 of 1020 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed
 
Laithan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,867
Rep: 502 (Unique: 267)
Quote: Originally Posted by Servos View Post
After some though, I decided to tear the 790i rig down............ to go full water cooling.

The regular TitanXp block fits, but you can tell that there was supposed to be DVI rather than a display port. It won't be very visible though.
In another turn of good luck I found an EVGA 790i FTW Digital that should be here later this week. Performance-Pcs still had the mosfet block, but takes the same elusive NB/SB as the Ultra or FTW boards. I'm trying to get one made by the same person as ericyu049, but communication is tricky even through someone that knows Mandarin.
I'm hoping to have everything back together by the end of next month if I can bet the NB/SB worked out.
The more I look at it the more I like it

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside


Laithan is online now  
post #1020 of 1020 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 10:42 PM
Xeon Overclocker
 
Servos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 284
Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
Progress is... slow. Parts are ordered, but considering world events, shipping is taking awhile. I did however get a 5.5" 1440p tft I ordered a few months back, so I can work on that.

For context, my current rig case I have a 480p screen double-sided tapped into an AlphaCool dual bay LCD screen. I use rainmeter to display weather, temps, network, ect. This was a solution I came up with for my ASUS RIVE board after ASUS came out with the ROG Front Base (that only worked with the RIVE BE+). The current solution looks good in the Caselabs case, but in the Corsair 540 it didn't quite look right. I figured I'd work on a 3d printed solution that also had the option of a better resolution monitor.

Attached are the initial samples specifically for the corsair 540. I printed the first trial a bit thin/fast, but worked all the same to see if the design would work (image with the two pieces). The rest are the 2nd sample I printed. I tweaked the settings a bit better for petg and it came out a lot better. I plan on painting the 2nd sample green to match the case. Parts of the bezel are thin so I'm interested to see how it holds up to paint (sometimes parts warp when painted with a rattle can).

With the 1440p panel I'll also be able to test games in 2k a bit easier. Unlike my current solution, the Corsair 540 has some slots in the back that I can feed ribbon connector through (with the caselabs I routed cables through the io plate, the RIVE had a ROG connect option). In one image I laid out the connectors and ribbon for reference.

Further work includes a slight redesign that mounts using the 5.25 screws (for the 540 I plan on two sided tape on the side of the 5.25 bracket). I want to do one with the same front bezel as well as one that sits flush. I plan on making another one for my main rig when I upgrade. Noctua is planning a new release of their fans in black and my 1680V2 is getting long in the tooth. At 1440p it does well enough... but X79 being nearly 10 years old the setup doesn't owe me anything. I'll see what Zen3 vs Intel's 14nm+++++++++++++++++^23 has to offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200810_005609.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	365230  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200810_005720.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	365232  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200810_005452.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	365234  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200810_005805.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	365236  


Mystery Meat
(15 items)
790i Overkill
(12 items)
HTPC
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-1680 V2
Motherboard
RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
GPU
zotac gtx 980
GPU
zotac gtx 980
RAM
G.skill trident 2133 64gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Intel 900p
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Case
Caselabs Mercury s8
Operating System
Windows 10
Keyboard
WASD Green switches
Mouse
G502 Proteus Core logitech
Audio
Soundblaster AE-5
Audio
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Audio
Superlux HD 681 Headphones
CPU
INTEL X5470
Motherboard
EVGA 790I FTW
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
GPU
ZOTAC AMP GTX 1080
RAM
Patriot Viper pvs34g2000llkn
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
Sandisk 3D SSD
Optical Drive
SuperWriter DVD
Power Supply
EVGA G2 Supernova 750w
Cooling
Corsair H100i
Case
Corsair 540 Air
Operating System
Windows 7
CPU
Intel 4670s
Motherboard
Asrock H97M-ITX
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI
RAM
G.SKILL Ares 1600
Hard Drive
Kingston 240GB SSD
Power Supply
EVGA 500B
Case
Cooler Master 130 Elite
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
Keyboard
Logitech K400
▲ hide details ▲
Servos is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off