[Official] ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS Owner's thread - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS Owner's thread

post #21 of 717 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 AM
New to Overclock.net
NapalmV5 Level 1

with broadwell coming soon guys im very curious.. whats the highest bus and hows the ddr4 performance on z10 and haswells ?

my z9/ivys
107cb1eb_dCZEKHJ.png

10a669f0_TUoGkOR.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 717 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:20 AM
New to Overclock.net
hhuey5 Level 1

@JoshuaB123
if you use regular ddr4 memory in parts-picker u will get this warning which explains why
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory is not ECC, but the Intel C612 chipset requires ECC RAM

I'd rather go w what the mfr suggest than to risk incompatibility

regular memory is compatible with skylake n haswell
post #23 of 717 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net
hhuey5 Level 1

@Zakkorn
Since we both use diff parts there are chances that some of us use default
n some of us change setting to get more compatibility

ie: u put a certain memory brand
person1 uses defaults it runs perfectly
person2 not so lucky n needs to change the defaults to a combination clock speed, cl, voltage to get spec
person3 oh it runs not very fast but it runs
person4 gets into all kinds of trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 717 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 AM
New to Overclock.net
JoshuaB123 Level 1

True Hhuey5, but YOLO, I'm going to do testing as well, I'll buy some regular ram and ECC just in case it doesn't work
post #25 of 717 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 05:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
hhuey5 Level 1

@NapalmV5
Quote:
Intel May Cancel Xeon "Broadwell" Too to Speed Up the Arrival of the Xeon "Skylake"

A fancy, new server platform lies ahead, just wait a bit
The announcement of the new Intel Broadwells at this year's Computex left people unimpressed as it was the last model of the Haswells designed for mobile platforms that will come with Intel's Iris Pro Graphics 6200 series and Xeon-based Intel Pro Graphics P6300.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/ntel-may-cancel-xeon-broadwell-too-to-speed-up-the-arrival-of-the-xeon-skylake-487042.shtml
post #26 of 717 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
Zakkorn Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuey5 View Post

@Zakkorn
Since we both use diff parts there are chances that some of us use default
n some of us change setting to get more compatibility

ie: u put a certain memory brand
person1 uses defaults it runs perfectly
person2 not so lucky n needs to change the defaults to a combination clock speed, cl, voltage to get spec
person3 oh it runs not very fast but it runs
person4 gets into all kinds of trouble

I agree with everything you said

Still you don't answer my question
post #27 of 717 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 AM
New to Overclock.net
hhuey5 Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakkorn View Post

I agree with everything you said

Still you don't answer my question

I already spent too much of my time explaining what I.T. does to save your bacon

you have to be responsible with your own man cave
you have to manage your own system

you can also hired a contractor to come to your man cave and fix your problem if you can't DO yourself

You can take a community college hardware course to learn hands on systems building
post #28 of 717 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:45 PM
New to Overclock.net
NapalmV5 Level 1

Quote:

@NapalmV5

broadwell still on track for release 4th quarter and if they bring skylake release forth it aint gonna be sooner than a year from now 4th quarter business as usual

6cd7c2a8_Intel-Xeon-E7-E5-Skylake-EX-_Purely-Platform_Roadmap.jpeg
post #29 of 717 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Bytales Level 1

Quote:

your m.2 choice is m.2 PCI-Express 3.0 Interface
not a m.2 SATA Interface
your diagram seems to hint
* SSATA 3 Port so it looks like you have to test which port is killed
* your Samsung M.2 SM951 looks like it would be inserted into a PCIE3 slot card to take advantage of x16 speed

I hope this helps or perhaps you figured this out in a weeks time

Well i choose the Samsung SSD specifically because its PCI Express 3.0 4x, since according to the manual, the motherboard supports m.2 SSDs up to 22110 size and with this pci express 3.0 4x interface for the massive speed it brings. Unfortunatly i havent manage to boot from it, i only use it as secondary drive as in i boot from the m-Sata SSD i have connected to an adapter in the pci express slot of the motherboard.

Size in GB of the SSD should pose no issue, only the length, and as it is, it supports the maximum length.

Another thing to note, is the following fact.
THe motherboard does not post when there is an USB 3.0 hub connected to theUSB 3.0 ports on the motherboards back.
At first i thought it was an issue with my Anker 13 port USB hub, so i said to my self, ill get me an industrial grade USB 3.0 hub, perhaps the controller in the Anker Hub is somehow incompatible.

Seeing as i have two Coolgear USB 3.0 Hubs connected on the inside of the case, i said to myself, ill get me one for mounting on the outside, albeit a 12 port one, and this one will get connected to the USB 3.0 ports on the outside.
Granted these two hub are connected to a Silverstone ECU01 PCI express adapter, but i said to myself, that couldnt be it.

Well, i got me this USB Hub, and expensive deal that it was, im not dissatisfied, since its probably much more durable, and it has mounting ports on itself.

Needles to say that i learned the PC behaves no differently with this hub. As it is, i have to disconnect the USB cable on the back for the computer to post, and with this hub it was also the case.
OK, what now, perhaps the connected peripherals had something to do with it. Took them all out, and tried to start the PC with the hub connected, but without any peripherals. The same result. I tried with all 6 USB 3.0 slots on the back of the motherboard, the same thing.

So there you have it folks, the PC doesnt get past POST when an USB 3.0 hub is attached on the back through its USB 3.0 connectors.

I must say, i never expected this of ASUS:
Now every time i need to restart PC; i need to take USB cable out. Just great. The only way to fix this would be to connec the HUB to a new USB 3.0 port on a PCI express card. This would probably solve the issue, but i shouldnt have to do this, do i ASUS ?

Regarding the strange benchmarks results, perhaps i can try some of them on my system and see what results i get ?

It seems this Motherboard has a ton of issues. Probably getting a SUperMicro Motherboard instead would fix all the issues. But oh boy, installing it again, my dear god, what i time consuming job that will be. Redoin all the cables, water cooling, etc etc
post #30 of 717 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Bytales Level 1

Quote:

if you suspect memory problems then you need to test the system two\four sticks at a time until you located the defective memory
Win 10 is nice enough to provide memory testing
running the memory speed \ apps test will help you know how each stick group is performing according to spec

Needless to say the original Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard i bought, had defective RAM Slots, it took me a while to pin point the problem, and also a while more, since at first i had only two RAM sticks,
After i got me 2 more ram sticks, i learned the RAM SLots were broken.

Asus sent me a new motherboard. I sure hope everything is ok now, as in ok, "only the normal problems" ok, u know what i mean !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in