Gigabyte Z170 \ H170 \ B150 Discussion, Help and Owners Club ( Ultra durable and Gaming editions ) - Page 74 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Gigabyte Z170 \ H170 \ B150 Discussion, Help and Owners Club ( Ultra durable and Gaming editions )

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #731 of 1739 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Lucky 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Corona Ca
Posts: 2,512
Rep: 85 (Unique: 69)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryg37 View Post

Can anyone help me with my bios setting for a Gigabyte Z170n Gaming-5? I have a 6600K but it is always running at 3.9 and never downclocks even at idle. I set the minimum processor speed to 1% in the windows power setting but it still runs at 3.9 even at 1 percent load.

also is there any other way to control the cpu fan speed? With the silent profile it seems to make my mcp35x run at 3300 rpm where as on my impact vii I can get the mcp35x to run at 1300 rpm for silent operations

So your power management is set to balanced and the CPU still does not downclock?

I have my pump set to normal and my fans set to silent in BIOS.

Then I use Gigabytes SIV software to control the fan curve.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








Lucky 23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #732 of 1739 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:08 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ivoryg37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 918
Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutty1998 View Post

I notice you are running windows 7 . I had already mentioned this earlier on this thread ,but it could be that windows is causing this to happen. The program that was keeping my CPU cranked 24/7 ,and also using 50% of my CPU power is called "svchost " . There are a few files that have that name ,you have to check which one is the culprit. Have you checked in your windows task manager to see if it might be using up your cpu power ? There is a lot of info about this file online and youtube. Hope this is of some help.

I'm actually on W10 but I will check my task manager and see. I turned in the bios Cstates , c3,c6,c7,c8, and c1e on and turned min processor power to 1% but it always run at turbo boost. I figure I ask just in case to see if I was missing something.
ivoryg37 is offline  
post #733 of 1739 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:05 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
QuantumPion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 86
Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Hi, I just got and installed a GA-Z170XP-SLI in my rig last night. Clean install of Win10 on a NVME drive worked flawlessly out of the box. Everything seems to be working fine, except the audio. I'm getting rather severe EMI noise or interference in my headphones using the green jack on the rear panel. The noise seems to coincide with video card usage, moving the mouse causes audible static noise, and playing a 3d game causes tons of static. The front panel jack connector seems to work better although it does have a little bit of noise, more than my old motherboard. The EMI noise persists when the volume is muted, and I tested two different audio cables to make sure that wasn't the issue. I also tried using 3 different sets of drivers, with no difference. Does anyone know what is going on here? Gigabyte makes a big deal of advertising how their audio components are separated by a hard line (complete with yellow LED's) to show how they are separated to prevent EMI noise but this is clearly not the case. Is my motherboard defective? Do I have an electrical problem of some sort?
QuantumPion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #734 of 1739 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
pojoFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Adamstown, PA USA
Posts: 10
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Definitely sounds like some kind of EMI making it's way from the video card to the audio circuitry. The thing is that despite the way GB has been separating the audio portion of the PCB with the rest, noise can still make it's way in through capacitive coupling or EMI/RFI. Especially if subjected to a piece of hardware that's emitting noise heavily (like your GPU potentially is). Although the audio circuit should have some degree of common mode rejection to minimize interference on it's amplified inputs, it's hard to know what GB deems acceptable unless this spec is listed somewhere. I can't find it on any of the documentation for my Gaming 6 mobo. Regardless, there is some degree of marketing fluff from GB over the isolation of the audio circuitry. If they really wanted to improve isolation they would've used a metal grounded shroud over the audio portion of the pcb and all audio components.

Also, all digital hardware needs to comply to some sort of FCC standard (at least in the US, other countries may use different standards) if it uses clocks that can potentially overlap with communication frequencies creating the potential for interference. So it's possible your video card is violating that standard.

If you have any other MBs and/or video cards I would test different combinations and see what you find. Most likely the culprit will reveal itself.

Also what video card do you have? And do you notice any coil whine under load?


pojoFX is offline  
post #735 of 1739 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:32 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
QuantumPion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 86
Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojoFX View Post

Definitely sounds like some kind of EMI making it's way from the video card to the audio circuitry. The thing is that despite the way GB has been separating the audio portion of the PCB with the rest, noise can still make it's way in through capacitive coupling or EMI/RFI. Especially if subjected to a piece of hardware that's emitting noise heavily (like your GPU potentially is). Although the audio circuit should have some degree of common mode rejection to minimize interference on it's amplified inputs, it's hard to know what GB deems acceptable unless this spec is listed somewhere. I can't find it on any of the documentation for my Gaming 6 mobo. Regardless, there is some degree of marketing fluff from GB over the isolation of the audio circuitry. If they really wanted to improve isolation they would've used a metal grounded shroud over the audio portion of the pcb and all audio components.

Also, all digital hardware needs to comply to some sort of FCC standard (at least in the US, other countries may use different standards) if it uses clocks that can potentially overlap with communication frequencies creating the potential for interference. So it's possible your video card is violating that standard.

If you have any other MBs and/or video cards I would test different combinations and see what you find. Most likely the culprit will reveal itself.

Also what video card do you have? And do you notice any coil whine under load?

I just upgraded my motherboard and cpu. The power supply, video card, and case are all the same. The previous motherboard had no EMI or static issues. The graphics card is an EVGA GTX 980. I don't think I have ever noticed any coil whine, unless at extreme load (like some older game main menu running at 300 fps).

I will probably return this board for RMA, there is one other bad review on newegg which mentions audio EMI problems. So perhaps it is a design deficiency. I will probably replace it with either a gaming 6 or gaming 7 instead, if I don't switch to another brand. Do you have any audio issues/static/EMI with your board?
QuantumPion is offline  
post #736 of 1739 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:29 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 292
Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
EMi exposure is a combination of many things. The audio circuitry design, the power supply, the video card and it's proximity, and your headphone.

Lower impedance headphones (around 32ohms) are a lot more sensitive to it than higher ones (60+). Also the nVidia GTX 970 has a known issue with bad coil whine that may not be audible outside until 300+ FPS but is easily picked up by the audio circuitry.

I have a Gaming 7 board and a 32ohm headphone and I can hear the noise. I have since switched to an external DAC to eliminate this problem. I've also ordered a 75ohm adapter to raise my impedanc efrom 32ohm to 107ohm so hopefully that makes it go away.

Bojamijams is offline  
post #737 of 1739 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
QuantumPion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 86
Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post

EMi exposure is a combination of many things. The audio circuitry design, the power supply, the video card and it's proximity, and your headphone.

Lower impedance headphones (around 32ohms) are a lot more sensitive to it than higher ones (60+). Also the nVidia GTX 970 has a known issue with bad coil whine that may not be audible outside until 300+ FPS but is easily picked up by the audio circuitry.

I have a Gaming 7 board and a 32ohm headphone and I can hear the noise. I have since switched to an external DAC to eliminate this problem. I've also ordered a 75ohm adapter to raise my impedanc efrom 32ohm to 107ohm so hopefully that makes it go away.

What I don't understand is my previous motherboard, using the same video card, had no EMI problems at all. The amount of EMI noise I hear is not just a low level of hiss audible only when nothing else is playing. It is fairly loud, maybe 1/3 as loud as the actual audio. I have a hard time believing this is just normal interference due to the impedance of typical high efficiency headphones. I submitted my board for RMA and ordered a gaming 6 board to replace it. If that fixes the problem, I'll chalk it up to defective product. If the new motherboard has the same problem, then I guess it is a design defect and I'll have to find another brand of motherboard that doesn't have this issue. I don't really want to use an external DAC, since I'm concerned about audio delay/lag for fast paced games.
QuantumPion is offline  
post #738 of 1739 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 292
Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumPion View Post

What I don't understand is my previous motherboard, using the same video card, had no EMI problems at all. The amount of EMI noise I hear is not just a low level of hiss audible only when nothing else is playing. It is fairly loud, maybe 1/3 as loud as the actual audio. I have a hard time believing this is just normal interference due to the impedance of typical high efficiency headphones. I submitted my board for RMA and ordered a gaming 6 board to replace it. If that fixes the problem, I'll chalk it up to defective product. If the new motherboard has the same problem, then I guess it is a design defect and I'll have to find another brand of motherboard that doesn't have this issue. I don't really want to use an external DAC, since I'm concerned about audio delay/lag for fast paced games.

Your previous board probably had better shielding or you used a different supply.

I am not impressed with the audio design on this motherboard nor the driver support.

Bojamijams is offline  
post #739 of 1739 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:13 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
QuantumPion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 86
Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumPion View Post

What I don't understand is my previous motherboard, using the same video card, had no EMI problems at all. The amount of EMI noise I hear is not just a low level of hiss audible only when nothing else is playing. It is fairly loud, maybe 1/3 as loud as the actual audio. I have a hard time believing this is just normal interference due to the impedance of typical high efficiency headphones. I submitted my board for RMA and ordered a gaming 6 board to replace it. If that fixes the problem, I'll chalk it up to defective product. If the new motherboard has the same problem, then I guess it is a design defect and I'll have to find another brand of motherboard that doesn't have this issue. I don't really want to use an external DAC, since I'm concerned about audio delay/lag for fast paced games.

Your previous board probably had better shielding or you used a different supply.

I am not impressed with the audio design on this motherboard nor the driver support.

Yeah I was about to order the gaming 6 but after you mentioning the same problem on your gaming 7, I think this is a design deficiency. I'm going to look for another brand with a different audio setup.
QuantumPion is offline  
post #740 of 1739 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:41 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
QuantumPion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 86
Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
So I'm just curious, is anyone out there able to use their Gigabyte Z170 motherboard's rear jack with regular impedance headphones without any EMI, noise, or static? If so, what model motherboard do you have? I'm still wondering if this is just an uncommon defect a few people have, or if it is just a bad design but most people don't notice it because they don't use the rear jack or whatever.
QuantumPion is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off