MSI Z97 mpower max ac UEFI problem - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI Z97 mpower max ac UEFI problem

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello,

First of all, I'm really sorry for my bad English. I'll try being as clear as possible.

PC config:
mobo: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC
cpu: i7 4790k
gpu: AMD Radeon HD 7950 (GIGABYTE version)
ssd1: samsung evo
ssd2: corsair

What was happened?
I had installed windows 10 on Corsair SSD and used it without any problem, with fastboot enabled and UEFI. Then I could not use my PC for 3 months. 3 Days ago I finally turned it on again and it won't boot. After the MSI logo, it bore me in the EFI shell (something like this: http://i50.tinypic.com/k175ep.jpg). I thought that was a problem of my installed win 10 edu edition, then I created the usb key with cmd (always used that method and never got errors) and reinstalled it. It was installed in Legacy mode, then no fastboot option available (fastboot is available only in UEFI mode).

Steps I tried:
1) Reset to settings of the BIOS -> Windows 10 installed in Legacy mode
2) Forced the UEFI mode -> USB key not booting
3) created usb key with refuse, cmd in ntfs and fat32, mbr and gpt. Nothing useful.
The BIOS sees the usb key as UEFI device, however, if I boot in it directly from the BIOS, the screen become black for a sec and then it brings me again in the BIOS, if I restart the system, it brings me to EFI shell
4) cleaned the two ssds (I've other hard disk), formatted in ntfs with gpt and tried again, same situation:
- with legacy + uefi, windows 10 is installed in legacy
- with uefi, black screen and BIOS
5) updated BIOS at latest version
6) disconnected every peripherals
7) disconnected every other HDDs and changed the SATA port of the SSD
8) contacted the call center of MSI and... "Try to control the boot order" (yes, I had already checked, like 100 times)
9) turned on and off the windows 10 features of MSI during installation and in post installation. In post installation -> EFI shell, in pre installation it forces the UEFI, then black screen and BIOS
10) tried to switch the BIOS of the GPU (the 7950 has a switch between to BIOS), because... how knows....
11) tried the second (and out of date) BIOS of MSI
12) updated another time the BIOS as suggested by the customer center of MSI
13) discharge the mobo with the button that MSI provides

Yes I've used USB 2.0.
Now I thought that the only thing I have changed is the mouse, but is a Razer Ouroboros mouse that works perfectly. I don't think is that the problem (I'll try as soon I've another mouse)

I think that is a problem of the mobo, because Windows should have started the first time, and also all the usb key that I've created. But I don't think is an hardware problem, since is just a UEFI problem. Also an error with the BIOS is improbable, because I've switched it. I have no more ideas. Please, suggest me something.

Thank you very much

LITTLE UPDATE: tried to boot without keyboard and mouse, EFI mode again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:42 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 173 (Unique: 156)
Sounds like some old UEFI boot entries are still trying to be loaded after turning on the computer. I'm not sure on how to remove these.

Software like this would work, but I think it requires to have a bootable operating system on your computer.

http://www.easyuefi.com/index-us.html
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi,
I noted that you implied that English is not your first language, (hell, I can't speak, read or write any language but English so I commend you for being multilingual, even if only to some degree!).

You said: "Then I could not use my PC for 3 months." In English, there is a very big difference between "...could not..." and "...did not...". Therefore when you said "Then I could not use my PC for 3 months.", did you mean that you "...did not use my PC for 3 months"?

My guess is that you meant you DID NOT use the pc for 3 months, meaning that you chose not to use it for that period of time and then when you finally did decide to use it, you found you had a problem. I wanted to make sure I understood that part of your otherwise, very understandable post.

You have several identical hardware components as mine, in your system. Please boot back into your UEFI settings and check these options:
One of the first things you may want to try is to go to: Overclocking\CPU Features: and Disable the "Execute Disable Bit" option. It could be that the mobo and Intel software sees the Windows 10 SSD introduction as a worm. Later, if you successfully boot to the OS, you can try to re-enable that setting.

I have Windows 7 64bit and it's installed on a dedicated SSD. In my case, I have that function enabled but you may need to disabled it to get the computer initially booted up to the OS. Then, after (or if) you succeed, you can go back and Enable the function once again.

However, I'm guessing and in addition to that option, continue to these selections:
A:
In Settings\Boot: Make sure the "Boot Mode Select": is set to "Legacy + UEFI"

B:
In Settings\Advanced: select the "Windows 8/8.1/10 Features" and see that it is Enabled
In addition, I would probably leave "MSI Fast Boot" and "Fast Boot" Disabled

In Settings\Advanced\USB Configuration: Make sure the "USB", "EHCI", and "Legacy USB Support" are Enabled ("XHCI Hand off" can probably stay disabled)

In Settings\Advanced\Integrated Peripherals: Make sure the SATA and External SATA Modes are set to AHCI

As I said, these are guesses but some of them have to do with specific Windows Operating Systems such as 8, 8.1, and 10. I know that it's a pain in the A** but if any of the settings of the first two in my "A" and "B" list were already in a selection that I had suggested, (i.e. Disable MSI Fast Boot and Fast boot), try changing it to the selection to the opposite of whatever I suggested.

I hope something works for you.
Rich

'Agatha II'.
(26 items)
CPU
Intel i7-4790K Devil's Canyon
Motherboard
MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 500GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo Pro 500GB SSD System Drive
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
Hard Drive
Plexor M5 Pro 256GB SSD internal SSD
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus XT ST1000DX001-1NS162 7200RPM Hybrid SSHD
Optical Drive
ASUS X24 DVD
Optical Drive
Xigmatek Accessor Ultimate Card Reader
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Swiftech H220, (4) 120mm fans (forgot the brand of the fans) push/pull config)
Cooling
(7) – 120mm case fans (I forgot the brand name of the fans but the blades are removable for cleaning)
Cooling
(1) – 140mm Corsair rear case exhaust fan
Cooling
Swiftech MCR120 XP all-copper 120mm Radiator w/120mm fans in Push/Pull config
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T
Operating System
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
Monitor
ACER 28" 4K Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G602
Mouse
Steel Series Gaming Pad
Audio
Xear by CMedia 5.1 external USB sound card
Audio
Logitech Z5300 5.1 speaker system
Other
Thrustmaster Warthog Flight SIm control system
Other
Saitek Pro Flight x 2 Throttle Quads
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in