Intel X299 (Socket 2066) VRM thread - Page 48 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Intel X299 (Socket 2066) VRM thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #471 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Hardware Enthusiast
 
Mysticial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 647
Rep: 70 (Unique: 45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amurtigress View Post

Hi folks. I just joined the X299 user crowd yesterday.

I decided to finally turn my back on Gigabyte and get back to ASUS. So I bought the TUF X299 Mark 2 and a i7-7800X.

I just thought take it easy and set the cores to synchronized and 42x multi...Ran Linx. Around at the second pass of Linx the system just turned off and wouldn't power on again...Thanks to my multimeter I found that the 12V inputs for the CPU were short. I can only guess what happened, one of the MOSFETs must have died. Now that was a crappy experience...

I returned the board and got a Prime X299-A instead. It's running fine now, I just thought I should mention my experience here at the VRM thread, for whatever it may be good for.

That shouldn't have been enough to kill the motherboard. But it's worth noting that the latest LinX supports AVX512. And running AVX512 @ 4.2 GHz might come close to triggering the stock over-current protection even for the 7800X.
Mysticial is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #472 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
elmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 859
Rep: 345 (Unique: 155)
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0da View Post

Infineon OptiMOS 5 BSG0812ND spotted on the ASUS Mark 2: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/lga-2066-mainboard-vrm-liste-1167715.html#post25685397

Edit: Forgot about the way hardwareluxx handles guests, here are the photos:

©Kullberg @ hardwareluxx.de

I can't find a public datasheet but there are such for the 0811 and the 0813 and their efficiency looks awesome, especially when it comes to switching losses.
elmor or Raja, can anyone of you confirm if those VRMs driven by the ASP1405I do run in 7+1 or 8+0 configuration on the Mark 2?

Mark 2 is 7+1, I managed to do 260W continuous output. Seems to be slightly more efficient than the power stages. (Test conditions same as previous, open test bench no airflow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by czin125 View Post

What about tweaked 4266 CL17? Is that possible on the 7740K?

No typos on those? 6617A and 6617 both exist and the 99227B and 99227 exists too.

4266 1T with a lot of effort. 4133 1T should be very doable. At 2T I belive up to 4333 is validated, up to 4500 is possible.
elmor is offline  
post #473 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 01:25 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
br0da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 250
Rep: 22 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmor View Post

Mark 2 is 7+1, I managed to do 260W continuous output. Seems to be slightly more efficient than the power stages. (Test conditions same as previous, open test bench no airflow)

Thanks! smile.gif
The Mark 2 seems to be a good 'low budget' board since you can just get those crappy MSI boards for the same amount of money (in germany).
br0da is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #474 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 04:27 AM
Hardware Rep
 
Raja@ASUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,430
Rep: 394 (Unique: 182)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post

That shouldn't have been enough to kill the motherboard. But it's worth noting that the latest LinX supports AVX512. And running AVX512 @ 4.2 GHz might come close to triggering the stock over-current protection even for the 7800X.

On the TUF Mark 2 boards, if the OCP is at 100%, it will kick in around 300W.

Kaby Lake overclocking guide here

ASUS Z270 buyer's guide here


Broadwell-E overclocking guide read here
post #475 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 04:39 AM
OCCT Stable OCD
 
schoolofmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 2,195
Rep: 39 (Unique: 32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

On the TUF Mark 2 boards, if the OCP is at 100%, it will kick in around 300W.

This was the total power load running Realbench on the [email protected]/TUF Mark 1/GTX1080ti Strix.
I set the AVX/AVX512 offsets to -5 (4Ghz)


I guess I'm getting pretty close to the OCP there

schoolofmonkey is offline  
post #476 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:56 AM
Hardware Rep
 
Raja@ASUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,430
Rep: 394 (Unique: 182)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolofmonkey View Post

This was the total power load running Realbench on the [email protected]/TUF Mark 1/GTX1080ti Strix.
I set the AVX/AVX512 offsets to -5 (4Ghz)


I guess I'm getting pretty close to the OCP there

Yeah, you may be close to popping the cherry. If that happens, you can set to 140%. I did request the UEFI to be updated with a new rule for OCP.

Kaby Lake overclocking guide here

ASUS Z270 buyer's guide here


Broadwell-E overclocking guide read here
post #477 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 06:45 AM
OCCT Stable OCD
 
schoolofmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 2,195
Rep: 39 (Unique: 32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Yeah, you may be close to popping the cherry. If that happens, you can set to 140%. I did request the UEFI to be updated with a new rule for OCP.

I did a little more in depth tweaking beside Auto voltage, seemed to bring the power consumption down a lot.

You were right about the TUF's vrms, that back plate thermal pad makes a difference.
Instead of sticking a fan on the front I'm able to mount one behind the motherboard thanks to the Enthoo Primo's CPU cutout.

schoolofmonkey is offline  
post #478 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:05 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Removed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 509
Rep: 39 (Unique: 24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolofmonkey View Post

I did a little more in depth tweaking beside Auto voltage, seemed to bring the power consumption down a lot.

You were right about the TUF's vrms, that back plate thermal pad makes a difference.
Instead of sticking a fan on the front I'm able to mount one behind the motherboard thanks to the Enthoo Primo's CPU cutout.

I suggested multiples time this option, happy to see that it work if you can implement it.
As suggested if you are decent at DIY, try to implement it on other mb that do not have a back plate. Even a fan on the back of the cpu socket could help, if you case mounting plate have a windows under the cpu.
Taking care to not create shorts on the back of the mb obviously. smile.gif

Edit: The best implementation, imo if i could, would be an heatpipe that run into the mb back plate connected to the main vrm heatsink. Then a fan could chill both sides of the vrm and cpu socket increasing greatly the thermals.

E=MC² Matter<=>Energy
Removed1 is offline  
post #479 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:50 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Posts: 29
Rep: 0
So if I want to do a moderate overclock with a 7820X, is the Asus TUF 1 worth the extra money over the TUF 2? I don't care about the extra features on the TUF 1.... but I do care about reliability and ability to support a modest overclock (at no more than 1.2V).

Still waiting on the CPU to come down to below retail.... I've seen Amazon selling it for slightly below retail before.... but then again I'm thinking I should wait to see what Threadripper holds..... so dunno...
CSE HTML Validator is offline  
post #480 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Hardware Rep
 
Raja@ASUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,430
Rep: 394 (Unique: 182)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSE HTML Validator View Post

So if I want to do a moderate overclock with a 7820X, is the Asus TUF 1 worth the extra money over the TUF 2? I don't care about the extra features on the TUF 1.... but I do care about reliability and ability to support a modest overclock (at no more than 1.2V).

Still waiting on the CPU to come down to below retail.... I've seen Amazon selling it for slightly below retail before.... but then again I'm thinking I should wait to see what Threadripper holds..... so dunno...


The backplate helps a bit with VRM temps, but you won't be running PRime95 small FFT AVX workloads all day long with no airflow, so take your pick.

Kaby Lake overclocking guide here

ASUS Z270 buyer's guide here


Broadwell-E overclocking guide read here
Reply

Tags
x299 vrm

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off