Intel X299 (Socket 2066) VRM thread - Page 51 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Intel X299 (Socket 2066) VRM thread

post #501 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonScryer View Post

Not sure where else to put this post and the pictures are for reference in case anyone wants them.

I bought an Asus X299-Deluxe today and took pictures.

The rear VRM "heatsink" doesn't look like it contacts anything. I will be using an EK monoblock for this motherboard when it gets released (hopefully soon) so I will take care of that issue with some fujipoly in short time. However, should I do something about it now anyway?

If anyone wants other pictures taken of the motherboard I can.

These are taken with a Galaxy S5 so...yea.

Yo MoonScryer,
Yo guys,

I am going to buy a ASUS X299-Deluxe too.
Do you guys know if I can use my cooling block Watercool HEATKILLER® MB-SET ASUS-X99 A/S/DELUXE Ni on a ASUS X299-Deluxe?
The board layouts look similar so far. Here are the measures of the X99-Deluxe default vrm "cooler":

img_3442gkkiv.jpg
img_34359dyh7.jpg

[email protected],0 [email protected]@ MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK|EVGA XC Ultra Gaming 2080 [email protected]²O_watercool_Waterblock H²[email protected]|Corsair AV860W|4*8 GB [email protected] [email protected] |Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB, Samsung 970 evo, 1 TB| Corsair Obsidian 750D| ASUS Swift PG279Q|Windows 10 Prof. 64 bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 06:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

These backplates are there mostly to add rigidity, helping to reduce the risk of warp and the FETs losing contact with the heatsink.
asus could simply use a thicker thermal pad for better cooling as well as rigidity.
post #503 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 06:45 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 266 (Unique: 139)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdkj1740 View Post

asus could simply use a thicker thermal pad for better cooling as well as rigidity.

Hello

For most thermal Interface pad type material the thermal resistance of the material is linearly proportional to its thickness. Also as the board is not flat and smooth at this application area heat is being transferred at points with sufficient contact only. It is unlikely that an increase of the thermal material thickness would provide much benefit other than a placebo for some users/reviewers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #504 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

These backplates are there mostly to add rigidity, helping to reduce the risk of warp and the FETs losing contact with the heatsink.

Thanks Raja. I figured it was something like that. they do contact something on the underside of the board when looking in there so I figure its an extra measure thing.
post #505 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSec View Post

Yo MoonScryer,
Yo guys,

I am going to buy a ASUS X299-Deluxe too.
Do you guys know if I can use my cooling block Watercool HEATKILLER® MB-SET ASUS-X99 A/S/DELUXE Ni on a ASUS X299-Deluxe?
The board layouts look similar so far. Here are the measures of the X99-Deluxe default vrm "cooler":

That Watercool piece looks like a generic enough piece you might be able to but there is as always no guarantee.

When I need to fit something to where I'm not sure it will make contact I usually use a thin layer of model clay about as thick as some thermal pads. See what happens.

I'm getting the EK monoblock on its release so can't help more than that.
post #506 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Well, I got bored and tried a few things. Note this is a full watercooled system 7820x on an Asus X299 Deluxe w/ 360x60mm dual radiators and a 1080ti FE at stock clocks whole testing in the mix.

For the below I set XMP Profile on (G.Skil TridentZ RBG DDR4-3200-C16 sticks at 1.35v).

AVX is set at -5, AVX512 at -8 <--- questionable need.

At 4.5 -> Adaptive, set to - at -0.100 / Turbo 1.150 / Input Voltage 1.6 = stability showing 1.144v
At 4.8 -> Adaptive set to - at -0.020/ Turbo 1.150 / Input Voltage 1.7 = stability showing 1.233v

Failure on 4.5 at -0.110 and 4.8 at anything under -0.020

Given the rather large jump needed to get from 4.5 to 4.8 I think I'm just going to settle on 4.5 and call it a day. I played Wildlands, The Division, WoW, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of Mordor for a few hours and had no issues; everything ran much smoother. I didn't have HWiNFO running for most of it but the separate thermistor display in my loop was showing 45-48 celcius the entire time.

I'm going to try some further undervolting on the input voltage. That seems to drop temperatures quite a bit at idle but I'm trying to localize where exactly. The little generic OLED display on the motherboard (this is a funky thing) showed the drop and the 'CPU voltage' at 1.608v when I set it to that 4.5 stable result.

If this is the wrong place for this report let me know; there seems to be no other real non-dick swinging thread to put it in.
post #507 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 06:00 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 266 (Unique: 139)
Quote:

Well, I got bored and tried a few things. Note this is a full watercooled system 7820x on an Asus X299 Deluxe w/ 360x60mm dual radiators and a 1080ti FE at stock clocks whole testing in the mix.

For the below I set XMP Profile on (G.Skil TridentZ RBG DDR4-3200-C16 sticks at 1.35v).

AVX is set at -5, AVX512 at -8 <--- questionable need.

At 4.5 -> Adaptive, set to - at -0.100 / Turbo 1.150 / Input Voltage 1.6 = stability showing 1.144v
At 4.8 -> Adaptive set to - at -0.020/ Turbo 1.150 / Input Voltage 1.7 = stability showing 1.233v

Failure on 4.5 at -0.110 and 4.8 at anything under -0.020

Given the rather large jump needed to get from 4.5 to 4.8 I think I'm just going to settle on 4.5 and call it a day. I played Wildlands, The Division, WoW, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of Mordor for a few hours and had no issues; everything ran much smoother. I didn't have HWiNFO running for most of it but the separate thermistor display in my loop was showing 45-48 celcius the entire time.

I'm going to try some further undervolting on the input voltage. That seems to drop temperatures quite a bit at idle but I'm trying to localize where exactly. The little generic OLED display on the motherboard (this is a funky thing) showed the drop and the 'CPU voltage' at 1.608v when I set it to that 4.5 stable result.

If this is the wrong place for this report let me know; there seems to be no other real non-dick swinging thread to put it in.

Hello

Any voltage value entered in the adaptive turbo field lower than default is simply ignored and the default value is used instead.
post #508 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 02:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:

I'm getting the EK monoblock on its release so can't help more than that.

Yo MoonScryer,

could you please measure out the coordinates of both vrm-cooler screw wholes?
For example this way: Take the front side of the board, start from the edge of the left side to the middle of the left screw whole (x= ?? mm), then form the top of the board to the middle of the left screw whole (y= ?? mm), then from the edge of right side of the board to the middle of the right screw whole (x²= ? mm), finally from the edge of top to the middle of the right screw whole (y²= ? mm). Each taken measure line from the edges of the board has to be measured in an angle of 90° (I guess you know that biggrin.gif ).
Could you do this for me?

Regarding the board layouts my X99 cool block seams to fit. Well, I am not sure about it!

[email protected],0 [email protected]@ MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK|EVGA XC Ultra Gaming 2080 [email protected]²O_watercool_Waterblock H²[email protected]|Corsair AV860W|4*8 GB [email protected] [email protected] |Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB, Samsung 970 evo, 1 TB| Corsair Obsidian 750D| ASUS Swift PG279Q|Windows 10 Prof. 64 bit
post #509 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 04:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praz View Post

Hello

For most thermal Interface pad type material the thermal resistance of the material is linearly proportional to its thickness. Also as the board is not flat and smooth at this application area heat is being transferred at points with sufficient contact only. It is unlikely that an increase of the thermal material thickness would provide much benefit other than a placebo for some users/reviewers.
indeed. but making contact with the pcb is essential to cool down the vrm too. therefore it is all about the design of standoff of the backplate.
touching only those ceramic caps is not enough imo.

on gpu vrm, those aib tends to use thick thermal pad(1.5mm or 2mm) on vrm, because of the importance of indentation.

given a good vrm heatsink design for the front of the vrm, we dont need to worry about the backplate...
what a shame for us to talk about the backplate. this time the x299 precludes lots of air cpu cooling and some aio cooling....the real high end platform...
der8auer is damn right, 50/50, to not just intel but those partners too.
post #510 of 1217 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praz View Post

Hello

Any voltage value entered in the adaptive turbo field lower than default is simply ignored and the default value is used instead.

@Praz - below is a screenshot of my BIOS. Are you saying the 1.050v result is ignored? I obviously can't change it but its the result of the two above.

Tags
x299 vrm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in