Intel X299 (Socket 2066) VRM thread - Page 94 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Intel X299 (Socket 2066) VRM thread

post #931 of 1217 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoolman View Post

8700K is OOS everywhere. does it really have such high demand or the initial supply is just slow?

did you check every person who mentioned 7980XE or any HCC before sku is available to purchase if they worked for Intel?

and no I don't work for Supermicro, I just use lots of servers/workstations from various vendors and some HEDT platforms

If you wanted to pay $500 my local Microcenter had them.

I only asked because you have super in your name, I'm not accusing you of being a shill. smile.gif

Bottom line though is that Supermicro needs to improve distribution and send out more samples for review if they want to compete in the HEDT market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1217 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post

If you wanted to pay $500 my local Microcenter had them.

I only asked because you have super in your name, I'm not accusing you of being a shill. smile.gif

Bottom line though is that Supermicro needs to improve distribution and send out more samples for review if they want to compete in the HEDT market.

no Microcenter within 200 mile radius here

there are quite a few people on this forum with super in their name...

Supermicro's X299 lines was announced as C7X299, but they later posted them as C9X299 on their website. following post captured something that may or may not be a mistake
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-partially-updates-website-with-lga-2066-motherboards-with-c422-chipset-for-xeon-w.16394/

in any case, I do agree with you that Supermicro needs to step up for their X299 boards with the review and samples. otoh, I'm still not sure why they need to produce consumer line products when their main business is server/workstation with Xeon/Epyc
post #933 of 1217 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi, I want to ask a simple question.

the problem is the vrm power or the vrm cooling only?

If I put a waterblock over for example a strix-e, I can get the 400W without throtling?

thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1217 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelo View Post

If I put a waterblock over for example a strix-e, I can get the 400W without throtling?

thanks so much

The main problem is vrm cooling, but you still have to look at your vrm components to know how much amps each can pull. There was a chart somewhere grouping all the x299 boards by vrm capacity.

*UPDATE* found it: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/lga-2066-mainboard-vrm-liste-1167715.html
post #935 of 1217 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
⤷ αC

Rep: 909 (Unique: 591)
You'll be fine as long as you don't buy a MSI board with NIKOS fets on the back of the board.

a VRM monoblock equalizes the playing field among the X299 boards for the most part.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #936 of 1217 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedViper View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelo View Post

thanks so much

The main problem is vrm cooling, but you still have to look at your vrm components to know how much amps each can pull. There was a chart somewhere grouping all the x299 boards by vrm capacity.

*UPDATE* found it: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/lga-2066-mainboard-vrm-liste-1167715.html
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

You'll be fine as long as you don't buy a MSI board with NIKOS fets on the back of the board.

a VRM monoblock equalizes the playing field among the X299 boards for the most part.
Well, I have a working watercooling loop, with 2 1070 and 6700k, I probably make my own waterblock for the vrm....
I dont like monoblocks but its a good option too

Enviado desde mi ZTE Axon 7 mediante Tapatalk
post #938 of 1217 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

so, asus strix/prime-a with water will give me 400W?
And msi gaming pro carbon can get 600, or ~500 without overloading the cpu power connectors?
post #939 of 1217 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
⤷ αC

Rep: 909 (Unique: 591)
As a baseline, this is the temperature derating graph for IR3550 (the prior generation before IR3555)

VCCIN is 1.8V , so derate by another 25% (1.25x loss multiplier).

Elmor claimed eight IR3555 can do 340W on Apex.

If you want 400W with 1.8V VCCIN you're looking at ~223A of current. With an 8 phase board that's about 28A per phase. (32A with a 7 phase)

If you want 600W with 1.8V VCCIN you're looking at ~333A of current. With an 8 phase board that's about 42A per phase (48A per phase with a 7 phase). Per the temperature derating graph you'd have to be below about 60°C ambient/board temp if you want to leave a margin for error.

I don't want to give you wrong information, but that is what we know thus far.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #940 of 1217 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
Launched or not. VRM looks familiar with the same gimped number of SATA ports.

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/WS-X299-PRO/

Tags
x299 vrm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in