GIGABYTE X299 OVERCLOCKING THREAD - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE X299 OVERCLOCKING THREAD

post #11 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Hardware Enthusiast

Rep: 70 (Unique: 45)
Just a heads up to anyone using these Gigabyte motherboards. The current BIOS at default settings does not properly apply the AVX and AVX512 offsets.

The current BIOS allows the processor to all-core turbo up to 4.0 GHz and single-core turbo up to 4.5 GHz. This is not to spec since 4.0 GHz all-core AVX512 on the 7900X will either phantom throttle or pull 300W. And 4.5 GHz AVX512 may be unstable.

So for my 7900X, the system (running all stock settings) would crash or BSOD on single-threaded AVX512 since the weaker of the two "preferred cores" is unstable @ 4.5 GHz on AVX512 with stock voltages.

Until Gigabyte fixes this, I recommend manually entering an AVX offset of 2 and an AVX512 offset of 4. (Though Silicon Lottery mentioned in an email to me that the stock offsets are supposed to be 3 and 5 respectively.)

Even if you never intend to run any AVX or AVX512, I suggest applying these offsets anyway since you never know when an application may actually use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge0fsanity View Post

Anyone know if there are any differences between the gaming 7 and 9? I know the 9 has the led thing on the rear i/o along with covers for the back of the board and m2 slots. Is there anything as far as performance is concerned that would make the 9 worth the extra $100? This will be getting paired with a binned SL 7900x when i can get one.
These are only for 9 compared to 7:
1. M.2 to U.2 card;
2. PCIE card for additional M.2(four M.2 slots totally);
3. Two additional M.2 shields(9 has all three shields and 7 only has one shiled, check pic on official site);
4. Audio Card;
5. Base plate(something like a cover at the back of the motherboard);
post #13 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post

Just a heads up to anyone using these Gigabyte motherboards. The current BIOS at default settings does not properly apply the AVX and AVX512 offsets.

The current BIOS allows the processor to all-core turbo up to 4.0 GHz and single-core turbo up to 4.5 GHz. This is not to spec since 4.0 GHz all-core AVX512 on the 7900X will either phantom throttle or pull 300W. And 4.5 GHz AVX512 may be unstable.

So for my 7900X, the system (running all stock settings) would crash or BSOD on single-threaded AVX512 since the weaker of the two "preferred cores" is unstable @ 4.5 GHz on AVX512 with stock voltages.

Until Gigabyte fixes this, I recommend manually entering an AVX offset of 2 and an AVX512 offset of 4. (Though Silicon Lottery mentioned in an email to me that the stock offsets are supposed to be 3 and 5 respectively.)

Even if you never intend to run any AVX or AVX512, I suggest applying these offsets anyway since you never know when an application may actually use them.
Did you flash the latest BIOS? Check the updated changes info: Gigabyte added "Enhanced Multi-core Performance" allowing users to set all cores to match turbo ratio like x45. Also, check the FAQ please. It says Intel Turbo Boost 3.0 picks two cores to run at 45x, the rest will run 40x. With EMCP all cores will be boosted to 45x.

But always, to run all cores @4.5GHz, you have to make sure your cores won't go overheat. Or, the overheat protection will be applied. This may require high-end cooling system or a delidded cpu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Hardware Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuewarsTaner View Post

Did you flash the latest BIOS? Check the updated changes info: Gigabyte added "Enhanced Multi-core Performance" allowing users to set all cores to match turbo ratio like x45. Also, check the FAQ please. It says Intel Turbo Boost 3.0 picks two cores to run at 45x, the rest will run 40x. With EMCP all cores will be boosted to 45x.

But always, to run all cores @4.5GHz, you have to make sure your cores won't go overheat. Or, the overheat protection will be applied. This may require high-end cooling system or a delidded cpu.

I'm currently using F7a - the latest non-beta.

The issue with the AVX offsets isn't about the 45x turbo. It's about the "Auto" settings for the AVX/AVX512 offsets being completely messed up.
post #15 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I'm currently using F7a - the latest non-beta.

The issue with the AVX offsets isn't about the 45x turbo. It's about the "Auto" settings for the AVX/AVX512 offsets being completely messed up.
Did you turn AVX and AVX512 to 2 and 4? What can you get from these AVX settings?
post #16 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Hardware Enthusiast

Quote:

Did you turn AVX and AVX512 to 2 and 4? What can you get from these AVX settings?

If you manually set the AVX and AVX512 offsets, the BIOS will do the right thing. As in drop the multiplier by exactly that amount compared to normal code for that particular core. And by doing that, I can get the behavior I want.

The problem is with the "Auto" settings. The "Auto" settings (all BIOS options at stock/default) applies zero offset for both AVX and AVX512 on both the 4.0 GHz all-core turbo as well as the 2-core 4.5 GHz turbo.

OTOH, "Auto" doesn't mean zero. If you mess with some of the other settings, it may be non-zero. But it's inconsistent, and it never seems to apply the offset when it actually needs to.

More context along with other people with the same problem: https://www.overclock.net/t/1632870/skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-combined-discussion/770#post_26214813
post #17 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes, you are right. I checked the user manual(Page49) and it says Default:Auto, not zero. This will bring unstable number for AVX and AVX512 Offset because "Auto" means changing all the time. Silicon Lottery did AVX and AVX512 Offset at 3 and 5. You set them to 2 and 4. Did you see any obvious difference? Is it only a 0.1GHz difference for CPU frequency?
post #18 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Hardware Enthusiast

Quote:

Silicon Lottery did AVX and AVX512 Offset at 3 and 5. You set them to 2 and 4. Did you see any obvious difference? Is it only a 0.1GHz difference for CPU frequency?

Yeah, the multiplier offset is exactly what it is - a multiplier offset. So I currently run my machine at 4.2/4.0/3.8 GHz all-core turbo. (scalar/AVX/AVX512) The all-core turbo is 42x, AVX and AVX512 offsets are 2 and 4 respectively.

I have not tried to push the all-core scalar-code frequency beyond 4.2 GHz. Because of these offsets, we're basically doing 3 overclocks at once and there's no way to dial-down the voltages on a per-core/per-code-type basis. For example, let's say I can run all-core scalar-code @ 4.7 GHz. But to do that, I need to increase the vcore. But increasing the vcore will make my 3.8 GHz AVX512 overclock overheat.
post #19 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Yeah, the multiplier offset is exactly what it is - a multiplier offset. So I currently run my machine at 4.2/4.0/3.8 GHz all-core turbo. (scalar/AVX/AVX512) The all-core turbo is 42x, AVX and AVX512 offsets are 2 and 4 respectively.

I have not tried to push the all-core scalar-code frequency beyond 4.2 GHz. Because of these offsets, we're basically doing 3 overclocks at once and there's no way to dial-down the voltages on a per-core/pre-code-type basis. For example, let's say I can run all-core scalar-code @ 4.7 GHz. But to do that, I need to increase the vcore. But increasing the vcore will make my 3.8 GHz AVX512 overclock overheat.
Are you running Intel Turbo or locked all-sync frequency?
post #20 of 612 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Hardware Enthusiast

Quote:

Are you running Intel Turbo or locked all-sync frequency?

Individual:
  • 1-2 cores: 4.5 GHz (4.3 AVX, 4.1 AVX512)
  • 3-4 cores: 4.3 GHz (4.1 AVX, 3.9 AVX512)
  • 5-10 cores: 4.2 GHz (4.0 AVX, 3.8 AVX512)

I kept the max turbo per core the same. So only the two "preferred cores" are allowed to reach 4.5 GHz. But any core is still allowed to do 4.3 AVX and 4.1 AVX512. IOW, the per-core turbo limit is applied *after* the AVX/AVX512 offsets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in