ASUS X299 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS X299 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

post #21 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:25 PM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 394 (Unique: 182)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofblog View Post

I noticed that ASUS has begun posting BIOS version 0503 on their driver pages. DO NOT UPDATE! After installing BIOS 0503, I was unable to POST with anything higher than DDR4-2133, whereas I was running my 3200 CL16 G.SKILL DRAM at CL15 on the previous BIOS version.

Works fine for others. Maybe share your settings so the post is of more value to others?

Kaby Lake overclocking guide here

ASUS Z270 buyer's guide here

Broadwell-E overclocking guide read here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofblog View Post

I noticed that ASUS has begun posting BIOS version 0503 on their driver pages. DO NOT UPDATE! After installing BIOS 0503, I was unable to POST with anything higher than DDR4-2133, whereas I was running my 3200 CL16 G.SKILL DRAM at CL15 on the previous BIOS version.

I have the very same issue. My G.Skill 3200 16-18-18-38 64gb (two sets of 2 x 16gb: very same modules with consequent serial numbers) has been flawlessly working under 0402 bios with XMP. The new bios 0503 prevents me using ram clocks anything beyond 2400Mhz.

Clearing CMOS did not work regardless of methods: jumpers and batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Works fine for others. Maybe share your settings so the post is of more value to others?

I was trying to write this in ASUS ROG forum but couldn't get a log-in credential there. I am happy to see you monitoring this thread. Please look at the issue.
post #23 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:46 PM
Hardware Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatnim View Post

I have the very same issue. My G.Skill 3200 16-18-18-38 64gb (two sets of 2 x 16gb: very same modules with consequent serial numbers) has been flawlessly working under 0402 bios with XMP. The new bios 0503 prevents me using ram clocks anything beyond 2400Mhz.

Clearing CMOS did not work regardless of methods: jumpers and batteries.
I was trying to write this in ASUS ROG forum but couldn't get a log-in credential there. I am happy to see you monitoring this thread. Please look at the issue.

You will need to supply more info. What settings are you changing? Usually, this type of stuff occurs when the auto voltage rules change.

Combined kits can be a pain anyway (same make model only helps to some extent). Its not something the memory vendors or we endorse from a support perspective.

While you may be happy I'm here, I can't work without sufficient details. Just coming into the thread and making a 'me too' post doesn't help me help you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

You will need to supply more info. What settings are you changing? Usually, this type of stuff occurs when the auto voltage rules change.

Combined kits can be a pain anyway (same make model only helps to some extent). Its not something the memory vendors or we endorse from a support perspective.

I understand the XMP may not work if they are combined kits. The issue is that they worked flawlessly under 0209 and 0402 bios, by simply setting XMP enabled. I did not change anything regarding the voltages.

For 0503 bios, I have tried a variety of things. Setting XMP without any other manual settings did not work. Manual setting of ram modules beyond 2400 did not work. Specifically, here is the symptom of XMP setting: after the press of power button, the board "blinks" once and disappears.

I read a post in this thread that going back to 0402 bios may solve the problem. But there are some people observing better memory latency under the new bios.

I would like to provide you with as much information as I have. Thank you very much for your quick responses.
post #25 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 12:26 AM
Hardware Rep

Quote:

I understand the XMP may not work if they are combined kits. The issue is that they worked flawlessly under 0209 and 0402 bios, by simply setting XMP enabled. I did not change anything regarding the voltages.

For 0503 bios, I have tried a variety of things. Setting XMP without any other manual settings did not work. Manual setting of ram modules beyond 2400 did not work. Specifically, here is the symptom of XMP setting: after the press of power button, the board "blinks" once and disappears.

I read a post in this thread that going back to 0402 bios may solve the problem. But there are some people observing better memory latency under the new bios.

I would like to provide you with as much information as I have. Thank you very much for your quick responses.

Note the voltages and timings (all of them) that are being applied in the previous builds, and set the same manually in 0503.

post #26 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 06:51 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 266 (Unique: 139)
Quote:

Hello

Reflash 0503. Manually set the primary timings, memory speed and memory voltage. Set SA voltage to 1.0V or 1.10V. All other settings can be left at default. Don't mess with the settings in the ODT, IO or Skew sections of the BIOS. As I noted previously I have seen no issue with memory compared to previous BIOS versions up to 3733MHz memory speed.
post #27 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 07:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Note the voltages and timings (all of them) that are being applied in the previous builds, and set the same manually in 0503.

Thanks. Previously I had everything except for the XMP left at default. The same ram timing and voltage did not work in 0503. I don't know whether the XMP changed any other things under 0402, though I did not notice any changes at the bios exit screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praz View Post

Reflash 0503. Manually set the primary timings, memory speed and memory voltage. Set SA voltage to 1.0V or 1.10V. All other settings can be left at default. Don't mess with the settings in the ODT, IO or Skew sections of the BIOS. As I noted previously I have seen no issue with memory compared to previous BIOS versions up to 3733MHz memory speed.

Thanks. I may first go back to 0402 via USB flashback. I left the ram settings at default except for the XMP. Btw, what is the SA voltage?
post #28 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 08:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I had to join to post my experience. Lurked here for years. This is just too important.

I tried BIOS 0503 direct from the Asus X299-A motherboard support page; coming from 0402.

BIOS 0503 caused a boot failure in my system.

In order to clear the CMOS, I had to even take off my HB SLI bridge and bottom video card just to clear the CMOS. OK, so with that out of the way, I have a set of fresh clean settings. Booted up back into Windows with no BIOS changes. Everything seems OK.

Now back to the BIOS because I need to enable XMP on my G.Skill kit, 4x8GB 3200 Mhz. Selected XMP, changed no other settings. Save settings, reboot. Boot failure.

Here are my relevant PC specs.

Intel Core i9 7900x
Asus Prime X299-A
G.Skill 4x8GB, 3200 MHz C16, full Quad Channel Kit, F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR
2x MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X in SLI with MSI SLI HB Bridge

Upon bootup failure, the on-board LED codes were: 11, 52, and 55, on different boot attempts. Those numbers were freeze and boot would not proceed.

I have decided to keep 0503 for now, with the default 2133 MHz RAM setting to see if anyone else has some work-arounds and/or a quick BIOS hotfix will be provided within the next week. The reason I don't want to do diagnostics today (mostly since I am busy with work), but because in order to access the clear CMOS header, I have to remove my second video card every single time. So I am currently uninterested in manually setting RAM values one-at-a-time to diagnose the root cause.

Another annoying thing I have to do each time: delete/recreate my Intel RAID 0 array of SSDs for games, 4x 240 GB drives. Since the settings are lost every time I reset the settings, I not only have to press CTRL+I to setup the array, but also run Testdisk in Windows to recover the volume. Thankfully that tool works so well.

Needless to say, XMP and BIOS 0503 is causing me trouble--big trouble.
post #29 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 08:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
can confirm bios 0503 caused ram problems

my gskill 3200 cl16 will not boot except on 2133

if I try to boot on the xmp profile, the system will not boot up at all (instant shut down loop)

the only way to get it start booting is by removing the cmos battery

manually setting ram timings/voltage/vccio/system agent voltage does not work

I'm using x299-e and 7900x

everything runs fine on bios 0402

please fix asap
post #30 of 2262 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 08:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsusPrimeX299GS View Post

I have decided to keep 0503 for now, with the default 2133 MHz RAM setting to see if anyone else has some work-arounds and/or a quick BIOS hotfix will be provided within the next week. The reason I don't want to do diagnostics today (mostly since I am busy with work), but because in order to access the clear CMOS header, I have to remove my second video card every single time. So I am currently uninterested in manually setting RAM values one-at-a-time to diagnose the root cause.

I am also keeping 0503 since I am busy with work as well.. not 100% sure whether the rollback to 0402 via USB bios flashback button works. EZ flash in the bios setup says it is "invalid" bios. CPU overclock is working flawlessly under 0503..

My ram is two sets of F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in