How to install ASUS Thunderbolt 3 card on an ASUS X99 MB - Page 8 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to install ASUS Thunderbolt 3 card on an ASUS X99 MB

post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Sorry ignore this post mistakenly added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

I wish i could help you guys out but after reading all 8 pages, I dont know of anything new to add. All I can say is that from the very first day I arrived at the solution and posted it. I have not experienced any problems. The card is still working and I have changed the port several times and followed the same procedures.

Dev24670
(35 items)
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6850K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard
Asus X99 Deluxe II
GPU
W4100
GPU
W4100
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX
Hard Drive
crucial
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
Hard Drive
Seagate hybrid
Hard Drive
Seagate hybrid
Hard Drive
Seagate hybrid
Hard Drive
Seagate expansion external 3.0
Optical Drive
Sony bluray burner
Optical Drive
Sony dvd-rw burner
Power Supply
Thermailtake 1500 Gold PSU
Cooling
Phanteks Heatsink
Case
Antec 1200 case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Planar 27" Multi-Touch
Monitor
Planar 27" Multi-Touch
Monitor
Hanns-G 23"
Monitor
Hannspree 23"
Monitor
Hannspree 23"
Monitor
Asus 19"
Monitor
Asus 19"
Monitor
Sony 47"
Monitor
Viso 52"
Keyboard
GIGABYTE
Mouse
Microsoft
Mouse
Intel
Audio
M-Audio Profire 2626
Audio
M-Audio Delta 66
Audio
Yahmaha HS80M
Audio
Yahmaha HS80S
Audio
ElectroVoice ZLX-12P
Audio
ElectroVoice ZXA1-SUB
▲ hide details ▲
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

JMTH I just wanted to say thanks HEAPS for taking all that time & effort to post this & update us, even as I post this after all that time you started this thread. You have truly saved us A LOT of time trying to figure it all out.

I've always had my Thunderbolt 3 card that came with my ASUS X99 Deluxe II plugged in but never had any TB devices to actually try it until now as I have bought an Audio Device. I always wondered why it wasn't even showing in my Device Manager but just assumed I needed something plugged into my TB card to see it in Device Manager but ofcourse this wasn't the case. It was simply plugged in & not even in a working state that whole time.

Instead of even TRYING to bother getting my ASUS TB card to work smoothly, I decided to take one of your recommendations & buying a GigaByte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card & I'm so thankful you did. Installed it in, double checked BIOS settings, downloaded latest drivers from Gigabyte & done!

Two Thunderbolt 3 ports working nicely & it's showing in Device Manager & my taskbar finally! ASUS is usually excellent quality in my many years of experience buying from them but that Thunderbolt 3 card is a big let down & troublesome.

Now I find out I can only expect the full TB 3 speed of 40/gbps if my cable doesn't exceed the 50cm's limit! That's just too short for me & my setup, so I have 2 choices if I want the full 40/gbps speed. Either buy an Apple "80cm" TB 3 cable which is the only passive cable I found over the 50cm limit which still provides the full 40/gbps speed, or buy an Active TB 3 cable which can provide the full 40/gbps speed at 2 meters.

Apparently the only catch with the Active TB 3 cables is that they can ONLY be used with TB 3 devices & not for normal USB-C 3.1 which doesn't bother me.\

Anyways just thought I'd also post this little info here for anyone actually wanting the full TB 3 40/gbps speeds.

Again JMTH we REALLY appreciate your informative posts & lovin my Gigabye Alpine Ridge. THANK YOU!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in