Z370 / Z390 VRM Discussion Thread - Page 81 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Z370 / Z390 VRM Discussion Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #801 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 08:11 PM
⤷ αC
 
AlphaC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 11,209
Rep: 911 (Unique: 592)

http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/artigos/placas-mae/placa-m%C3%A3e-asrock-fatal1ty-z370-professional-gaming-i7-r36767/?nbcpage=3
Sinopower memory VRM
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
More Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming Pro i7 (the long name) boards with Sinopower fets

My theory is probably correct , Sinopower memory VRM on Fatal1ty Gaming Pro i7 / Taichi means Sinopower under the CPU VRM heatsink


Asus Z370-A Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sira12dp + SirA14dp variant sighting
http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/artigos/placas-mae/placa-m%C3%A3e-asus-prime-z370-a-r36768/?nbcpage=6


A MSI Pro Carbon review https://pctuning.tyden.cz/hardware/zakladni-desky/48817-msi-z370-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-herni-deska-pro-coffee-lake?start=6

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list


AlphaC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #802 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Neville0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 22
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brafall View Post

The Taichi is definitely better than the Extreme4.

If I understand correctly Asrock's line up according to performance looks like this:

Lower tier
  • Pro4
  • M Pro4
Lower mid-tier
  • Killer SLI
  • M-ITX/ac
Upper mid-tier
Extreme4
Gaming K6
Upper tier
Taichi
Professional Gaming i7


Feel free to correct me.

Which ITX board are you referencing? There's the Fatal1ty ITX/ac and the M-ITX/ac. The Fatil1ty ITX/ac is probably smack in the middle (not upper or lower) because the phases are not doubled and the M-ITX/ac is probably lower or lower middle if barley based on the vrm that they used.
Neville0 is offline  
post #803 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 12:30 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
RustySpoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 152
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

Asrock Fatal1ty ITX board is midend likely, it's got 5x 60A Intersil Smart powerstages.

Asus ITX board has been shown to throttle , which is understandable since the Onsemi 4C86N is package limited to 20A

I'm not sure if the Thunderbolt 3 USB 3.1 type C on the back of the Asrock Fatal1ty ITX is full speed USB 3.1 gen 2.


The STRIX-I throttling was reported in this thread , see post https://www.overclock.net/t/1638955/z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread/450#post_26415211

4C86N Datasheet says for continuous operation the limit is 14A or so at 25°C mosfet case temperature which is more or less impossible , plus the package limit is 20A

I can't believe I missed this in the thread. One of my boards is a Z370-I Strix. Shall I send it back? I'm a bit annoyed with myself as it seemed like it had a decent VRM setup.

What frequency would you run in to this issue?

Are there any better ITX boards?
RustySpoons is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #804 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:52 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
catacavaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 119
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpoons View Post

I can't believe I missed this in the thread. One of my boards is a Z370-I Strix. Shall I send it back? I'm a bit annoyed with myself as it seemed like it had a decent VRM setup.

What frequency would you run in to this issue?

Are there any better ITX boards?

if you are not planning on overclocking and/or using highspeed memory, that board is fine, the amount of power drawn when OC + High-speed mem makes the board shut itself down.
It was my mistake for overlooking the VRM configuration and just guessing that the 6 phases would be "more or less ok"

For the extra features like m.2, wifi, audio and whatever, i guess it would be tough to find an ITX board with better VRM that offers all those features.

But now that i learned my lesson and i cannot return it any more, im gonna run some matx tests and see which board can hold 5ghz + 3200mhz mem without overheating/throttling/shutting down


ps.: if your goal is to overclock on ITX, i would take a look at the ASRock fatality ITX and see what kind of VRM it holds

catacavaco is offline  
post #805 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:19 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
RustySpoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 152
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catacavaco View Post

if you are not planning on overclocking and/or using highspeed memory, that board is fine, the amount of power drawn when OC + High-speed mem makes the board shut itself down.
It was my mistake for overlooking the VRM configuration and just guessing that the 6 phases would be "more or less ok"

For the extra features like m.2, wifi, audio and whatever, i guess it would be tough to find an ITX board with better VRM that offers all those features.

But now that i learned my lesson and i cannot return it any more, im gonna run some matx tests and see which board can hold 5ghz + 3200mhz mem without overheating/throttling/shutting down


ps.: if your goal is to overclock on ITX, i would take a look at the ASRock fatality ITX and see what kind of VRM it holds


It's a Z chipset so bought it for overclocking. Surely they would have designed it for coping with an overclock.

Looking at the VRM it appears to be 8 or 9 phase from what I can see, I'll have to have another look later.

I've just been reading up and others have theirs trip over 200w, yours is over 120w did I read that correctly. Maybe it's faulty.

I need to have a good look in to this.

The AsRock is no good as my NVMe will throttle.
RustySpoons is offline  
post #806 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
kevindd992002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Philippines
Posts: 11,019
Rep: 85 (Unique: 67)

Ok, this sucks. A local shop has 1 incoming 8700K tomorrow and I already had it reserved. The catch is that I also have to buy a Z370 board from them or they won't sell me the 8700K. The CPU is $400 so it seems to be a fair price considering low supply.

 

I'm waiting for the Code or Formula so I don't want any of the boards they sell plus the fact that their boards are priced even higher than what is already a high price tag on most Z370 boards now. My plan is to get a decent board and just sell it off here as I don't have any choice. People in my country (being a Third world one) are cheap so I'd rather not buy an expensive board because it's harder to sell. Which Z370 board is a bang-for-the-buck today that would server my purpose?


My Rig
(14 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW TridentZ Series
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS Drive)
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
SeaSonic Platinum-760 (SS-760XP) Power Supply
Cooling
Custom Watercooling Loop
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Dell S2716DG Gaming Monitor
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3
Mouse
Roccat Savu
Mousepad
Steelseries Qck
▲ hide details ▲
kevindd992002 is offline  
post #807 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:22 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
catacavaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 119
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpoons View Post

It's a Z chipset so bought it for overclocking. Surely they would have designed it for coping with an overclock.

Looking at the VRM it appears to be 8 or 9 phase from what I can see, I'll have to have another look later.

I've just been reading up and others have theirs trip over 200w, yours is over 120w did I read that correctly. Maybe it's faulty.

I need to have a good look in to this.

The AsRock is no good as my NVMe will throttle.

i was actually using some outdated software to check the power usage (god i did everything wrong this time around tongue.gif), with the latest HWInfo it shuts down at around 200w indeed (192ish to be exact)

catacavaco is offline  
post #808 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
RustySpoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 152
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Ok, this sucks. A local shop has 1 incoming 8700K tomorrow and I already had it reserved. The catch is that I also have to buy a Z370 board from them or they won't sell me the 8700K. The CPU is $400 so it seems to be a fair price considering low supply.

I'm waiting for the Code or Formula so I don't want any of the boards they sell plus the fact that their boards are priced even higher than what is already a high price tag on most Z370 boards now. My plan is to get a decent board and just sell it off here as I don't have any choice. People in my country (being a Third world one) are cheap so I'd rather not buy an expensive board because it's harder to sell. Which Z370 board is a bang-for-the-buck today that would server my purpose?

If you have to wait for your board you might as well wait for the CPU too. I wouldn't part with my cash in that shop with that kind of attitude.
RustySpoons is offline  
post #809 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:26 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
RustySpoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 152
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catacavaco View Post

i was actually using some outdated software to check the power usage (god i did everything wrong this time around tongue.gif), with the latest HWInfo it shuts down at around 200w indeed (192ish to be exact)

That sounds about right then for this set up. As ITX is not as popular there seems to be very little info on these boards. I'd love to know what power delivery is on all the ITX Z370 boards.
RustySpoons is offline  
post #810 of 4244 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:28 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
kevindd992002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Philippines
Posts: 11,019
Rep: 85 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpoons View Post


If you have to wait for your board you might as well wait for the CPU too. I wouldn't part with my cash in that shop with that kind of attitude.

 

Right but it's just that I want to be sure already. I have a pre-order for the 8700K in Amazon and B$H too and I'm not sure if it's best to just go ahead and cancel those since the board that I want isn't available yet.


My Rig
(14 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW TridentZ Series
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS Drive)
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
SeaSonic Platinum-760 (SS-760XP) Power Supply
Cooling
Custom Watercooling Loop
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Dell S2716DG Gaming Monitor
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3
Mouse
Roccat Savu
Mousepad
Steelseries Qck
▲ hide details ▲
kevindd992002 is offline  
Reply

Tags
K6 Motherboard , Msi , voltage regulator , z370 vrm , z390 , z390 vrm

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off