New to Overclock.net
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Madamme Freedom fief
HELP!!!!!! My ASUS Z390-E refuses to cooperate with my 8700k. Each work in different combos, but not together!
The BIOS is latest. EDIT - No bent pins!
So, I recently purchased a combo of an i5-9400f & ASUS z390-e over ebay (open box). The plan was to "upgrade" the CPU to a delidded 8700k I had running in my son's machine. But now I have encountered problems, perhaps Motherboard, perhaps CPU related, I can't understand this weird behavior:
I tested the z390-E with the i5-9400f and two sticks of G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600c17 upon purchase, several weeks ago. All 4 RAM slots were tested (one pair then another pair), all went fine.
Just yesterday I tested the same 8700k on another solid board for my another build (Mobo GB z390AorusUltra) and it worked fine with the same kit. All 4 ram slots were tested, in dual channel mode again, and no problems.
1. I cleared CMOS, placed the 8700k into ASUS z390-E and RAM into recommended slots A2-B2 - orange RAM led turns solid, no post.
(Every time I cleared CMOS again after each RAM slots change that followed)
2. Tried one stick in RAM slot A2 as per ASUS single channel placement (mobo manual) - orange led on, no post.
3. Tried two sticks of RAM in A1-B1 - orange led on, no post.
4. Tried only one stick of RAM in A1 - orange led on, no post.
5. Tried only one stick in B2 - all fine, went into post & UEFI(!)
6. Tried only one stick in B1 - all fine,
went into post & UEFI.
7. Tried two sticks in B1-B2 - all fine, well, single channel - went into post & UEFI (yes, I then loaded optimized defaults)
8. Without clearing CMOS immediately tried ASUS recommended A2-B2 two sticks - no joy [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
9. Cleared CMOS, tried A2-B2 again. Orange led, no post again.
9b. Took out 8700k, installed the 9400f and everything's fine, RAM works, PC boots into UEFI & Windows.
10. Installed the 8700k into Z390 Aorus with the same RAM kit in slots A1-B1 and it works fine,
11. installed the 8700k back into ASUS and no, it refuses to post!!!
This was written between all these attempts. Latest Asus z390-e Bios. The socket is clean. Argh!
- If 8700k works with the same RAM, in dual channel, on a z390 Aorus Ultra,
- and ASUS works fine with this RAM and 9400f,
- why on Earth doesn't ASUS Z390-E works with the 8700k and this RAM???!!!
P.S. And I did used a different RAM kit (ADATA XPG 3000C16) and still the same problem.
P.P.S. My PSU is EVGA 850P2 and I changed two cables on two different connectors to the CPU power socket, just to make sure. Still, this is the same PSU that works fine with 8700k & z390 Aorus.
Last edited by DarthFK; 08-23-2019 at 01:27 PM.