Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 / 8700K Overclocking settings - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 / 8700K Overclocking settings

post #31 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 675 (Unique: 477)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post

i have all the energy saving options off in the bios and windows but for like a split second vcore will drop to under 1v

i only catch it because it shows in HWinfo under the min tab. majority of the time it idles and stays at 1.248 under load which is perfect.

Is this a software issue with HWinfo?

Could just be the system going into idle mode. There are so many power saving features on these boards, there may be some built in.

Home PC
(13 items)
CPU
Intel G3440
Motherboard
Asus B85M-E/CSM
GPU
EVGA GTX 950
RAM
Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB x2 / 3TB x 2 - WD
Optical Drive
LG CH12LS28 Bluray
Power Supply
Corsair CX430 V2
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan
Case
NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Bit
Monitor
Samsung 75" TV....
Keyboard
GooBang Doo MX3
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robilar View Post

Could just be the system going into idle mode. There are so many power saving features on these boards, there may be some built in.

Ah so even do C-States are off there may be other hidden power save features?

Like i said i can only catch it because its in the min tab on HWinfo because if i sit there and watch it will just sit at 1.248

post #33 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 675 (Unique: 477)
More than likely. You have to assume that there are features on the boards that are not controlled by the bios, hard coded.

Home PC
(13 items)
CPU
Intel G3440
Motherboard
Asus B85M-E/CSM
GPU
EVGA GTX 950
RAM
Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB x2 / 3TB x 2 - WD
Optical Drive
LG CH12LS28 Bluray
Power Supply
Corsair CX430 V2
Cooling
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan
Case
NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module
Operating System
Windows 10 64 Bit
Monitor
Samsung 75" TV....
Keyboard
GooBang Doo MX3
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 07:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
Has anyone successfully utilized adaptive voltage with this board (or DVID as it's referred to in the BIOS)? No matter what I do the option is always grayed out for me. The only posting I've found on this seems to state you need to set your Vcore to "normal" , but I have no idea what this means.

I have my 8700K at 4.8ghz and 1.25 Vcore in BIOS, XMP profile enabled for memory, EIST enabled and all C-states just left on auto. I have set LLC to "Turbo" and that's pretty much it within the BIOS. I'm solid at 1.25 manual Vcore and my CPU downclocks as it should at idle. I just want the Vcore to also go down while idling instead of always staying at 1.25! So frustrating coming from 3-4 generations of Asus boards which I can easily navigate through.
post #35 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Z370 gaming 5, first sensor in hwinfo64 while idle or under load using real bench 2.56 stress test mode with 16gb ram at xmp, I get a lot of vdroop under all voltage readings for everything under the first sensor.

For example, CPU set to 1.26 manual bios, while stressing real bench, drops to 1.248 stays there, jumps to 1.272 once in awhile or may drop even lower to 1.23.

12 volt fluctuates, vccsa, vccio, ddr, they all drop lower than what's set in bios according to first sensor readout. I have llc at Turbo, overclocked 8700k to 4.7ghz

On an z370 msi board with same psu this did not happen but they had throttle issues from vrm temps going wacko.

On my msi carbon z270 with mild overclocked 7700k and same psu no crazy voltage fluctuions in sensor readings from hwinfo64..

Is this a gigabyte thing? Is it a defect, bug or glitch? Can system be trusted for long term stability with voltages that drop? Is it just a sensitive sensor??

Is it happening to all gigabyte gaming 7 and 5 owners of z370 series?

I have in my office a gigabyte system with an i5-750 from many years ago and it's runnng real bench stress test max overclock on everything with poor quad CPU and it does not have voltage fluctuations every second or at all and I got everything in that old ass system over locked to max using an old corsair vx 450w psu full load and it runs stable..

Got a gigabyte z97 sli with an i54690 and I have to see now if that system has vdroop on everything or not.

Can bios update fix this or am I screwed with my 2nd z370 board being defective?

Newegg won't let you refund or exchange for different one only same replacement item. If the board is crap what do I do???
post #36 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk21 View Post

Z370 gaming 5, first sensor in hwinfo64 while idle or under load using real bench 2.56 stress test mode with 16gb ram at xmp, I get a lot of vdroop under all voltage readings for everything under the first sensor.

For example, CPU set to 1.26 manual bios, while stressing real bench, drops to 1.248 stays there, jumps to 1.272 once in awhile or may drop even lower to 1.23.

12 volt fluctuates, vccsa, vccio, ddr, they all drop lower than what's set in bios according to first sensor readout. I have llc at Turbo, overclocked 8700k to 4.7ghz

On an z370 msi board with same psu this did not happen but they had throttle issues from vrm temps going wacko.

On my msi carbon z270 with mild overclocked 7700k and same psu no crazy voltage fluctuions in sensor readings from hwinfo64..

Is this a gigabyte thing? Is it a defect, bug or glitch? Can system be trusted for long term stability with voltages that drop? Is it just a sensitive sensor??

I have in my office a gigabyte system with an i5-750 from many years ago and it's runnng real bench stress test max overclock on everything with poor quad CPU and it does not have voltage fluctuations every second or at all and I got everything in that old ass system over locked to max using an old corsair vx 450w psu full load and it runs stable..

Got a gigabyte z97 sli with an i54690 and I have to see now if that system has vdroop on everything or not.

Can bios update fix this or am I screwed with my 2nd z370 board being defective?

Newegg won't let you refund or exchange for different one only same replacement item. If the board is crap what do I do???

I'm thinking its a BIOS issue because i have the same problem

BIOS vcore set to 1.255 and in CPUz it shows as 1.248v and it will fluctuate from 1.248 to 1.260 but HWinfo catches it going to a max of 1.272 and a low of 1.224 for probably a split second. Either software issue with the monitoring programs or BIOS issue with the board.

The Gaming 7 is rock solid though and games for some reason run smoother on it then my ASUS Z370 thumb.gif

post #37 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk21 View Post

I think it is a sensor + BIOS bug. My Gaming 7 does this after about 10 minutes under heavy load / stress testing. I've seen Vcore show .600 in HWInfo and go all the way up to 2.49. Same thing in OCCT. My VRM MOS reading disappears from HWInfo too when this happens. Makes it impossible to delid and truly test the chip because I'll never get an hour long info / monitoring. I'm giving it 1 more BIOS revision and if it isn't fixed will sell the board. I have other issues with this board though on top of this one.
post #38 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 07:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

It was driving me crazy!

knowing its not me and just a bug with the bios makes me feel better thumb.gif

post #39 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 08:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post

It was driving me crazy!

knowing its not me and just a bug with the bios makes me feel better thumb.gif

I have the same experience as you. Games that stuttered on my Asus Z270 IX Hero run silky smooth on the Z370 Gaming 7. Using same Nvidia driver, didn't even reinstall Windows 10. Could be the latest Windows Update, who knows. But it is a big difference. This sensor issue is insanely annoying even though I know my board / chip are perfectly fine at 1.25 Vcore. Luckily the CPU core temp sensors aren't wonky, that would be an absolute deal breaker!
post #40 of 742 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 08:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post

I have the same experience as you. Games that stuttered on my Asus Z270 IX Hero run silky smooth on the Z370 Gaming 7. Using same Nvidia driver, didn't even reinstall Windows 10. Could be the latest Windows Update, who knows. But it is a big difference. This sensor issue is insanely annoying even though I know my board / chip are perfectly fine at 1.25 Vcore. Luckily the CPU core temp sensors aren't wonky, that would be an absolute deal breaker!

oh man no way!

yeah i didn't even do a new windows 10 install and the Gigabyte Z370 is so smooth in games compared to the ASUS, no idea why.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in