AsRock x299 Taichi and Taichi XE Discussion Thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AsRock x299 Taichi and Taichi XE Discussion Thread

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
AsRock x299 Taichi and Taichi XE Discussion Thread

Decided to start Taichi discussion thread since no one did

I'm not managing the thread but I figure its place where we can discuss this motherboard

After getting to know z97 Extreme6 AC , I'm disappointed with x299 Taichi XE a bit
* No Disabling each SATA port via UEFI
* No Buttons
* only five fan ports
* same as z97 ; use m.2 slot lose SATA port
* A-Tuning not as used as z97 so I just decided to uninstall since it might add issues to other similar programs
* memtest98 new version didnt run well with i9 until they released patchup version

I'm happy with
* 10 Sata ports
* had nice time doing Memory Tests ; learn more that the gskill 128GB sticks are worthy of this motherboard
( i should retry prime95 on my 4790K ) Running Prime95 on this mb was real fun esp seeing how noctua ippp 3000 fans run with H110i GT
* had fun running tests on EVGA 1070 Hyrbid ; find the rigid hoses make it hard to install the card / cooler ; u can dent the cooler when rigid hoses makes it fly somewhere

ToDo List
* Try out other UEFI features
* still trying to finish the build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 04:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
New 2.0 BIOS was made available today on the website, for the standard Taichi with the latest microcode from Intel. Should not take long to show up for the XE.

Notes:
Update Skylake-X CPU Microcode to revision 43 and Kabylake-X CPU Microcode revision to 84. (For CPU security update)
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

yaa BIOS update 1.4 for Taichi XE x299
Update Skylake-X CPU Microcode to revision 43 and Kabylake-X CPU Microcode revision to 84. (For CPU security update)
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299...index.asp#BIOS

now I like to see someone try this update??? yup I'm playing chicken ; not enough info and feedback

Microsoft calls it KB4090007: Intel microcode updates
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rocode-updates

Intel recently announced that they have completed their validations and started to release microcode for newer CPU platforms around Spectre Variant 2 (CVE 2017-5715 (“Branch Target Injection”)). This update includes microcode updates from Intel for the following CPUs:

Product Names (CPU) Public Name CPUID Intel Microcode Update Revision Microsoft Update Standalone Package Version
Skylake H/S 6th Generation Intel Core Processor Family 506E3 0xC2 V1.001
Skylake U/Y & Skylake U23e 6th Generation Intel Core m Processors 406E3 0xC2 V1.001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

so far no one at AsRock Forums responded to my sata port enable / disable question

if I keep away from m.2 strips ; i can employ the old school method of enabling disabling thru molex power switch to my multiple boot drives idea (GamesBoot ; RegularBoot ; TestBoot)

KingwinHDD-PS6 Hard Drive Power Switch Review
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/73...iew/index.html

OR
SATA device power switch 4 channel SATA hard drive HDD Power selector Module
https://www.amazon.com/device-switch.../dp/B01MAX56SA
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...d+power+switch

I'm debating going with the bottom one because I dont have any 5.25 bays available

I havent looked at UEFI M.2 port if it can do enable / disable ; i dont have an m.2
I can look at z97 but that might not correspond to x299 UEFI

update
some people complain about those power selector modules when all switch lights blinks then fallout power damages to associated components ; made in china??
not sure how many people got the problem
dont expect li-chian brand is any better ; sure is triple the price

Best solution I'd come up with is go all out old school
https://www.coolerguys.com/products/...-12v-and-5v-dc
at least coolerguys did the full cut off of the molex ; there is bypass version and thats not the right thing to have
then add molex to sata power
old school safer because u dont have to rely on "made in china" failures or just circuit failures due to heat and cheap soldering or failing electronic components

Last edited by hhuey5; 03-03-2018 at 02:49 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:06 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 874 (Unique: 577)
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299...index.asp#BIOS

BIOS 1.40 : Update Skylake-X CPU Microcode to revision 43 and Kabylake-X CPU Microcode revision to 84. (For CPU security update)

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:44 AM
The 6502 Still Rocks

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
2.00 for Taichi X299 ... terrifying. I was just starting to feel good about 1.70. I suppose I should check Cinebench R15 and then load 2.00 and see what the impact is. Quick, somebody else go first.

EDIT: Not much change to my R15 scores. Set CPU to stock with no OC. RAM running XMP 3200CL14. Score of 1738 - 1740 before (1.70) and after 1725 (2.00). Surely this BIOS breaks something we like?

EDIT: Found an app in my system tray I forgot to kill. Back to 1740 with the 2.00 BIOS. Apologies.

Last edited by Master Chicken; 03-03-2018 at 09:41 AM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
1.40 on i9 XE.
My 7900x was stable at 48x AVX -5 AVX512 -5 1.295v and now is not.
Specific per core still doesn't work.
I'm a little bit pissed off.
Regards
Kappa

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hi all
i'm new here i'm waiting for x299 taichi replacing asus x299 tuf mark1. The last one first had problems with usb ports then to controller raid... i just had asrock mobos without problems hope coming back to this brand to be happy again.
Tomorrow i'll mount my machine: which bios does work better for you? Just downloaded the last one 2.0. I'm going to start with this having a m2 960 Samsung evo for better compatibility.
In asus mobo i could achieve with 7820x 4.7ghz @1.18 core volt with lovely temps never more over 75°.
i'd really love to do same or better with taichi.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

i've experienced two asrock mb and not had any problems

as fars as asus ; 20 yrs ago it was DOA ; i was interested in asus workstation mb (2016) but read in threads of some people returning their MB ; it appear commercial mb doesnt have same QC as consumer ; I've not looked at asus threads (z97 / x299)

i've not had any recent msi or gigabyte boards but somehow I picked asrock over them

so will I do future build with asrock ; time will tell

Last edited by hhuey5; 03-06-2018 at 10:07 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

All mounting procedure was easy and fine.
First upgraded the bios without problems then proceded to set it.
At now i'm fully satisfied and pleased, expecially in jobs where asus failed or missed:
at first boot bios managed perfectly if it was by pendrive or disk
bios by self detected raid mode
no problem with samsung nvme m2
auto overclock 4.7ghz perfectly stable even if with higher vcore voltage
higher stable overclock 4.8ghz @1.21 vcore on 7820x never reached it on asus
boot time really faster
At the bottom line optimum choice asrock all life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in