Fan motherboard plugs - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Fan motherboard plugs

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I was just wondering if it was preferable to plug a case fan into a normal 12v plug, or onto a fan plug on a motherboard, since I thought I heard once that can be dangerous, if it shorted, it could damage the motherboard. Any truth to that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 278 (Unique: 169)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravener
I was just wondering if it was preferable to plug a case fan into a normal 12v plug, or onto a fan plug on a motherboard, since I thought I heard once that can be dangerous, if it shorted, it could damage the motherboard. Any truth to that?
Yes, plug it into the PSU and not the mobo if it is a case fan and has a molex connector. Ive read that a fan is a fan is a fan. But just to be safe.

Blah
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 472 (Unique: 266)
:withstupi good advice! Plugging fans into PSU (even getting adapters if necessary) takes stress off the mobo...which is always good.

Intel Overclocking Guide
RAM 101 (Intel systems in particular)

All statements, posts, recommendations, etc. are my 2cents.gif. Sometimes they're worth a nickel, sometimes they're worth a penny, but I always do my best to at least ensure that my opinions are educated ones. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 11:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
The only real advantage is being able to monitor the fan speed, but that can be done with a fan control thingy (I don't know the proper term) you can put it right in your CD Drive bay, some even fit in the floppy.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 12:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 297 (Unique: 183)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravener
Definitely plug it into the molex connector on the power supply. A "dead short" on a fan connected to the mobo can destroy the mobo. If you are wanting control over the case fans, take "Ender's" advice and buy a controller for the case fans.

I would only connect the CPU and the Chipset fan, if you have one, to the mobo. Think of it this way, the more things you connect to the mobo the more juice that will be pulled through the mobo, let the mobo use what it needs to supply the AGP, PCI, Ram, CPU, etc. and let the power supply take the punishment. it's alot cheaper to replace the power supply than the mobo.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Thanks everyone. Good advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in