Updated: ASRock Z370 Z390 user discussion thread + Review: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac - Page 40 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Updated: ASRock Z370 Z390 user discussion thread + Review: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac

Old 01-23-2019, 04:17 PM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
What is the consensus for overclocking with the ASRock Z390 Extreme4?
Some existing threads:

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro vs Asrock Z390 Extreme4, My Experience!

Which ASRock Z390 motherboard for overclocking?

ASrock Z390 Extreme4 reasonable for overclocking 9700k?

Personally, I previously owned a Z77 Extreme 4 and was considering the Z390 Extreme 4, but after reading a bunch in the 2nd link above, I decided that Taichi probably had better power delivery and I found it for a black friday deal so it wasn't that much more. I've since seen a number of folks overclocking well with the Extreme 4 so I don't honestly know if the extra VRM that the Taichi has is really necessary or not for the level of OC I'm doing. Anyway, the Taichi has worked out well for me so I don't have any direct experience with the Extreme 4.

It's hard to find the specific references to the Z390 extreme 4, but there are a lot of them in the late 2018 portions of this thread: Z370 / Z390 VRM Discussion Thread and similarly here: ASRock Z370 Z390 user discussion thread + Review: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 09:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47
Quote: Originally Posted by jfriend00 View Post
Some existing threads:

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro vs Asrock Z390 Extreme4, My Experience!

Which ASRock Z390 motherboard for overclocking?

ASrock Z390 Extreme4 reasonable for overclocking 9700k?

Personally, I previously owned a Z77 Extreme 4 and was considering the Z390 Extreme 4, but after reading a bunch in the 2nd link above, I decided that Taichi probably had better power delivery and I found it for a black friday deal so it wasn't that much more. I've since seen a number of folks overclocking well with the Extreme 4 so I don't honestly know if the extra VRM that the Taichi has is really necessary or not for the level of OC I'm doing. Anyway, the Taichi has worked out well for me so I don't have any direct experience with the Extreme 4.

It's hard to find the specific references to the Z390 extreme 4, but there are a lot of them in the late 2018 portions of this thread: Z370 / Z390 VRM Discussion Thread and similarly here: ASRock Z370 Z390 user discussion thread + Review: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac.
Thanks for all the information.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
Old 01-28-2019, 04:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hi all,

I need some help overclocking my new CPU. I'm a bit rusty on overclocking (haven't done it since 2011). Can someone point out exactly what values I should be changing and why? My build is primarily for photo editing and gaming. I have done some reading on this CPU/MOBO combo and it sounds like 1.3 is the sweet spot for voltage, but really want to tinker this to my specific build. Any help would be appreciated especially screenshots from this MOBO's BIOS settings. I'm aiming for a a 4.8-5.0 OC as I'd like this to remain pretty quiet under full load. Thanks in advance!

Build

i7 9700k @ 3.6
AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
NXZT Kraken X62 (replaced stock paste with arctic silver 5)
Corsair Vengeance @ 3200
Gigabyte GTX 1080
NZXT H400i for the case and stock fans for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 05:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by k-shaps View Post
Hi all,

I need some help overclocking my new CPU. I'm a bit rusty on overclocking (haven't done it since 2011). Can someone point out exactly what values I should be changing and why? My build is primarily for photo editing and gaming. I have done some reading on this CPU/MOBO combo and it sounds like 1.3 is the sweet spot for voltage, but really want to tinker this to my specific build. Any help would be appreciated especially screenshots from this MOBO's BIOS settings. I'm aiming for a a 4.8-5.0 OC as I'd like this to remain pretty quiet under full load. Thanks in advance!

Build

i7 9700k @ 3.6
AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
NXZT Kraken X62 (replaced stock paste with arctic silver 5)
Corsair Vengeance @ 3200
Gigabyte GTX 1080
NZXT H400i for the case and stock fans for it.
Would really appreciate if someone could relate to your post/request, as my spec is really similar to yours:
i7 9700k @ default values
Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC (default bios P1.20) tried to update bios from this site https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390...index.asp#BIOS but it made my pc wont post, and I have to CMOS reset
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ default
NZXT H500i with Kraken X62

would really love to try to overclock this one, as my last OC was on i5 2500k and it seems ages ago..

also, if anyone wouldn't mind me asking, in this screen shot below, is my PC already using OC profiles? seems like the CPU speed and DRAM changing all the time (I haven't touch anything in the bios no in the ASRockATuning app)
https://imgur.com/eaMmoqL

sorry for the very newbie question

CPU: I7 9700K @5GHz 1.3V Fixed
Mobo: Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC Bios P1.20
RAM: Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3200
GPU: GIGABYTE 1070 8GB :/
Cooler & Case: Kraken X62 in H500i
PSU: Seasonic 750W XSeries Gold
Old 02-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Memory Overclocker

Quote: Originally Posted by rainergy View Post
Would really appreciate if someone could relate to your post/request, as my spec is really similar to yours:
i7 9700k @ default values
Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC (default bios P1.20) tried to update bios from this site https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390...index.asp#BIOS but it made my pc wont post, and I have to CMOS reset
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ default
NZXT H500i with Kraken X62

would really love to try to overclock this one, as my last OC was on i5 2500k and it seems ages ago..

also, if anyone wouldn't mind me asking, in this screen shot below, is my PC already using OC profiles? seems like the CPU speed and DRAM changing all the time (I haven't touch anything in the bios no in the ASRockATuning app)
https://imgur.com/eaMmoqL

sorry for the very newbie question
I don't know what you mean "using OC profiles". It is perfectly normal for the CPU speed and CPU voltage to be changing all the time. That's how modern processors work. The voltage and speed are varied automatically according to the load on the CPU and the demand for CPU power.

If you want to see the range of speeds and voltages, then run HWiNFO64 and it will show you current min, max and average values for all sorts of things, including the CPU speed and voltages.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case
Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

I don't know what you mean "using OC profiles". It is perfectly normal for the CPU speed and CPU voltage to be changing all the time. That's how modern processors work. The voltage and speed are varied automatically according to the load on the CPU and the demand for CPU power.

If you want to see the range of speeds and voltages, then run HWiNFO64 and it will show you current min, max and average values for all sorts of things, including the CPU speed and voltages.
What I meant is that, is there any chance the mobo or the default phantom gaming tuning app could set OC profiles/overclock values automatically by itself? because I really only set up the hardware and touch nothing in the bios and from RealTemp and HWiNFO64 it seems like my cpu already have 4.9Mhz and my highest temp already reached 61C, which again is odd as I never really tweaked anything, just setting up the hardware, boot, install drivers, done.

https://imgur.com/t97QKDd

anyway thank you for the reply mate
Old 02-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Memory Overclocker

What I meant is that, is there any chance the mobo or the default phantom gaming tuning app could set OC profiles/overclock values automatically by itself? because I really only set up the hardware and touch nothing in the bios and from RealTemp and HWiNFO64 it seems like my cpu already have 4.9Mhz and my highest temp already reached 61C, which again is odd as I never really tweaked anything, just setting up the hardware, boot, install drivers, done.

https://imgur.com/t97QKDd

anyway thank you for the reply mate
No ASRock board I know of defaults to a CPU overclock. The default configuration for the i7-9700k is to run all cores at 3.6GHz, with a one core turbo mode up to 4.9GHz. Overclocking is typically about enabling all cores to simultaneously run faster than 3.6GHz.

I guess I'm lost as to what your exact question is?

Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

No ASRock board I know of defaults to a CPU overclock. The default configuration for the i7-9700k is to run all cores at 3.6GHz, with a one core turbo mode up to 4.9GHz. Overclocking is typically about enabling all cores to simultaneously run faster than 3.6GHz.

I guess I'm lost as to what your exact question is?
Ah I see what you meant, thank you mate.

Edit: I just tried for 5GHZ by setting the Dram Voltage at 1.300V, CPU Load Line Calibration: Level 1, Normal Mode, CPU Cache Ratio 4800, and use the XMP Profile 2.0
When I check the HWiNFO64, why does the Maximum Volt shows my voltage for 5Ghz at 1.379V and not 1.300V? Is it related to Intel boost or adaptive vcore mode? Where should I look into the bios to turned them off, if the correct thing to do is for me to turn them off?
https://imgur.com/jmoK05a

And also when running AC:Odyssey my RealTemp shows max of 87C, is it safe? (using kraken x62 pre-applied thermal paste)

Sorry for the stupid question

CPU: I7 9700K @5GHz 1.3V Fixed
Mobo: Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC Bios P1.20
RAM: Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3200
GPU: GIGABYTE 1070 8GB :/
Cooler & Case: Kraken X62 in H500i
PSU: Seasonic 750W XSeries Gold

Last edited by rainergy; 02-07-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16
So I run Prime95. It seems stable but I do get some fairly extreme temps, for a very short time before I shut down. I believe this is due to AVX. Do I understand AVX correctly so that when I set "AVX Offset" = 4, it till downlock 400 mhz from my regular cpu clock when an AVX instruction set is running?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Memory Overclocker

Ah I see what you meant, thank you mate.

Edit: I just tried for 5GHZ by setting the Dram Voltage at 1.300V, CPU Load Line Calibration: Level 1, Normal Mode, CPU Cache Ratio 4800, and use the XMP Profile 2.0
When I check the HWiNFO64, why does the Maximum Volt shows my voltage for 5Ghz at 1.379V and not 1.300V? Is it related to Intel boost or adaptive vcore mode? Where should I look into the bios to turned them off, if the correct thing to do is for me to turn them off?
https://imgur.com/jmoK05a

And also when running AC:Odyssey my RealTemp shows max of 87C, is it safe? (using kraken x62 pre-applied thermal paste)

Sorry for the stupid question
You said "Dram Voltage at 1.300V". That has to do with you memory, not your CPU. Your question doesn't say anything about your CPU voltage settings so I don't know if you're running at a fixed voltage or running adaptive or what or what your CPU voltage settings are. Please work on being clearer with what you write so we can progress faster.

87C is higher than you want - won't immediately cause damage, but you'd like it lower for long term use. I try to make sure that peak temps when running a really hard stress test that my CPU would probably never actually see with a real app stays under 90C or so. That should mean that a real app won't get beyond 82C or so, though that obviously depends a bit on what real apps you run.

Last edited by jfriend00; 02-08-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in