EVGA X299 Dark Owners - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

EVGA X299 Dark Owners

post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Does anyone have experience with both the x299 DARK and the Rampage 6 Apex? I currently have the Apex and while I've really enjoyed it, I'm thinking of revamping my setup and switching over to the DARK. I know they are physically very similar but the aesthetics, layout of the m.2's and beefier components have me looking away from ASUS.

There is a great sale going on right now ($200 off the DARK) which is very tempting.

Thanks in advance.

x299
(14 items)
CPU
7900x @ 4.8
Motherboard
Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan V
RAM
32GB F4-4000C17Q-32GTZR
Hard Drive
Intel 900p
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300
Power Supply
EVGA 1200 P2
Cooling
EKWB Supremacy Evo (x99, Full Nickel), EKWB Nickel/Acetal GPU block, 1x 360 GTS and 1x 360 GTX rads, D5 pump, ZMT tubing, Aquaero 6 LT
Case
Fractal Define R6
Operating System
Win10 Pro
Monitor
ASUS PG279Q
Keyboard
Razer Ornata Chroma
Mouse
Razer Mamba
Audio
HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless Headphones
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by wheatpaste1999 View Post
Any X299 Dark users that can comment on how exactly to use the per core overclocking on this board? As far as I can tell you cannot set Vcore/VID manually or adaptive per core. It actually looks like there's no way to disable the integrated voltage regulator. Is this right, or am I missing something obvious? I have another x299 setup with an Asus R6E and the per core overclocking has a lot more options, but the settings you can adjust in bios for that motherboard make more sense to me.

I've been messing with this board for a couple of weeks with a goofy setup including a delidded 7800x and an air cooler in a CaseLabs BH7 case. Obviously I'm extremely thermally limited, but that's why I'm trying to get everything really dialed in.

The per core overclocking on the Dark is weird because if you set Vcore/VID based off your best cores, then you're going to run your lower ratio cores with more voltage than necessary (and hotter). If you set Vcore/VID based off the lower ratio cores, then you'll be unstable/not enough voltage for the higher ratio cores. Final option seems to be to leave Vcore on auto and adjust ratios individually... but that really can't be the most optimized way to do this, right? Leaving Vcore on auto ramps up the voltage and heat pretty quick.

Anybody have any pointers?
The only way to use per core OC is offset voltage so from VID voltage +offset voltage.

Quote: Originally Posted by GXTCHA View Post
Does anyone have experience with both the x299 DARK and the Rampage 6 Apex? I currently have the Apex and while I've really enjoyed it, I'm thinking of revamping my setup and switching over to the DARK. I know they are physically very similar but the aesthetics, layout of the m.2's and beefier components have me looking away from ASUS.

There is a great sale going on right now ($200 off the DARK) which is very tempting.

Thanks in advance.
Not R6A but i came from R6E:
VRM Dark much much better than R6E with additional fan. The VRM temp is cool.
Ram overclocking much easier, the SA voltage is lower compare to R6E.
No need to care about vccin and LCC anymore, the Dark board will adjust it for you.

post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:03 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 86 (Unique: 56)
Hi folks, joined the club as well (just got my tracking number). Depending on your pov/purpose, the board's got its pluses and minuses and will suit my needs/wants just fine. Anyway, I'd been eyeing it for a few weeks on eBay for US $300 when it became available the other day via EVGA's site for $260. Couldn't pass it up at that price, which has since gone back up toward $300:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-29_14-01-30.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	235046

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 88 (Unique: 76)
New x299 Dark owner here. Was hoping to get some help on my ram.

It has no problem running dual channel at 4000 or 4133mhz, but in quad channel I couldnt even get 3600mhz to work.

Bios is up to date and so is everything else.

Here is the ram set. Its two sets and all 4 sticks are good and new, 32gb in total. They have samsung chips.

PVR416G413C9K

The xmps are 4000 and 4133mhz so I have to manually enter in for anything lower.

I went with these becuase the games I play, the higher the better and that Id know theyd work at any lower speeds.

My thirst needs quenching.

post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 14)
EVGA x299 Dark 1.18 bios mod, with the latest cpu microcodes and Intel Raid and Lan Modules:

https://mega.nz/#!V7xC2YyA!sRH4o9p3U...S5KXgDJyjjf430

Read the mobo manual and follow the usb pendrive recovery bios instructions to flash this mod.

Spoiler!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in