Bios flashback for Asus z170-ar? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bios flashback for Asus z170-ar?

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
My chip puller device just arrived yesterday. So, the steps, just to make sure again (sorry for reptition, a "yes" alone would suffice, and i apologize for asking so many times. I'm just concerned so I don't break a part due to rushing it like the amateur i am given these topics...

I should remove the BIOS chip from motherboard, noticing which side the little "moon crater" is facing, then put that bios chip into my "CH341A flash programmer 25x" device in the back portion with the moon facing the middle part. And plug that device into one of the usb ports and that should be enough to boot up with the computer recognizing the bios being present? (this part kind of baffles me - although i am not in any way doubting it would work, just wnated to double check)... Not like it'll break anything either way (I hope to god it doesn't! heh).

Then after following the steps of :
[afuwinx64.exe backupBIOSname.bin /0

fptW -d backupbios.bin ]

I should have a backup .bin file that I can upload here for you to edit and hopefully return to me with the updated qualities and such that I have requested previously? Or whatever you think is best? Well, we we can probably discuss those options later when we cross that bridge, first I need to know exactly what it is I need to upload for you to be able to edit the file. Also, after having this updated file (that I would be receiving from you), may I simply go through the EZ-Flash option available in bios and flash it off there? (as it currently says this bios version is outdated, or not a valid bios file; if I try an earlier bios version, or if i try an edited file according to my expertise - respectively.)

edit:
Here is package of several versions of software, and driver. https://www.sendspace.com/file/gtcmvd
Install the driver first, then for Asus Z170 I found 1.30 software usually works OK. Put your BIOS in, connect the USB cable to programmer and your PC, then open the software.
choose identify chip and if it's W26Q64FV choose BV instead, or visa versa, sometimes you have to try a few if exact match does not work (In this case, I know exact match does not work for W26Q64FV)
Then click read, and then verify, if you get a message buffer/memory and chip match, then click save and upload the file for me to modify for you. Also save a copy somewhere safe so you'll always have a backup of your board details.

Sorry, I forgot these are the instructions you have given as to what exactly you wanted me to upload. I will get on this ASAP and should have it to you within an hour or so. And you can then at your convenience get to it as you like. Again I really do appreciate this help, may God reward you greatly and abundantly!

I do hope I don't run into any issues.

edit2:
well, i thought i could just use the same computer to do this, but I believe I need another windows PC to do this and I only have unix ones available at home (macbooks n such), so I will have to wait till next week sometime to do this, *sigh*

Last edited by Woofer14123; 11-24-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 01:08 AM
B10S TInk3r

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
@Woofer14123 - Don't rush, slow and steady!
25xx on the programmer is the middle area, here's a unfinished guide I noticed someone working on this week with images, this will help!
His guide is about using the cable, but the images will make it more clear to you which area your chip goes into. Moon part of your chip is pin 1/8 side (pin one goes by lever, that's only possible way )
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thre...41A-programmer

And yes, that's all you have to do. Make those backups you mentioned first, if that is not what is attached above, I haven't checked yet. *Edit, sorry, just realized that's the link I gave you for CH341A software
You can do this on the problem computer, if it's working? Any windows system that your can run the programmer on will work for putting back into the BIOS the new fixed BIOS.
So yes, this can all be done on same machine, but you'd need two BIOS chips unless you pull out the chip while in windows. Which is possible to do, but only if you are familiar with doing and have it ready
before the board is turned on, ie loose and with something attached so you can pull it out easily.

System is working correct? Sorry I am not sure, since most people only purchase programmer after they have major BIOS issue, good you did in advance if you did!
You just want updated microcodes (Lastest, or certain one older?), and Intel ME updated (To latest version?), along with BIOS settings unhidden too correct?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

@HelpDatBIOS

Okay sir. I believe I am ready, however I'd like to point out a few things first.

I installed the driver first. And used the 1.3 version as you explained.
When I clicked "Detect" it would keep showing two values : W25Q128BV and W25Q128FV. In that order. Just two of those to select from in a list.
I tried going with each(first being BV, and second being FV) and then clicking read (and it would automatically go ahead and verify right after), but each would end in some sort of verifying error...

So I looked back at your instructions which mentioned W26Q64FV/BV, and then I tried manually selecting up a few notches in that last list-button, and selected W25Q64BV and FV both, one by one, and tried to do the read (auto verify after..) and both verified as matches. I was kind of confused as to why both matched, but the file sizes for each are exactly the same, and I did not go through any other chip models or anything, but I will go ahead and upload these two (BV and FV) ? I suppose they are the same thing, but I thought there might be an issue when flashing or afterwards, so it's better to be safe than sorry, so I am uploading both and hope you could do all the "soup up" and "ricing" to my bios prior to me flashing it using the same tool and techniques as you have explained in that original elaborate post.

edit:
2nd file in here

edit2:
System is working correct? Sorry I am not sure, since most people only purchase programmer after they have major BIOS issue, good you did in advance if you did!
You just want updated microcodes (Lastest, or certain one older?), and Intel ME updated (To latest version?), along with BIOS settings unhidden too correct?

Yes sir, my system is working good and well, and there wasn't a certain "problem" that caused me to address this bios-customization project per se, but I want updated microcodes (why not?), and intel ME updated (latest would be good ), along with BIOS settings unhidden, yes. Mainly that last part. As I want to disable HPET which my bios does not show, and there are a lot of other options such as xhci and such for usb ports that i'd like to disable or fiddle with if possible. Sorry for so many edits, I was hyper haha
Attached Files
File Type: zip z170ar_woofBV.zip (6.14 MB, 6 views)
File Type: zip z170ar_woofFV.zip (6.14 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by Woofer14123; 12-14-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:20 PM
B10S TInk3r

Thanks @Woofer14123 - choosing 64 may be verifying FF's or 00's, did you check the file in Hex? Or, it may also be cutting the BIOS in half.

You may need to use 1.31 or 1.34 (Which I've uploaded for you here, it was just released so wasn't included in package I linked before)
I'll assume as I type this those files you attached are either blank or only half the BIOS dump, I've never seen anyone do like you mentioned, so do not know the outcome.
I do know, you'll want to be picking the correct size model, so we need to find software version that does work with your W25Q128 chip.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...21323722791218

Yes, as suspected, those are incomplete BIOS dumps, only 8MB, should be 16MB. Please try again with 1.31 and 1.34 software, choose W25Q128

And thanks for your answers, we can do all that!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hello, so I tried some more versions and such... I didn't change anything on the actual device (ch341a) nor could i have.. :/

version 1.19 seemed to allow me to read and verify. W25Q128BV. FV doesn't work, only BV (in 1.19 there's no option to select anything other than whatever detect chip finds valid for ya anyway). Anyway, that last sentence is excess and unnecessary info lol

Version 1.31 was able to actually read and verify as well! To my surprize. Version 1.34, would immediately give me a read and or access error (depending on if i tried to install a different driver or way of installing drivers?? not sure lol), but also the verification failed each time, I tried like 5 of them, FV,CV, BV, FW, DW... All failed verification.

Attached are two files (16 mb ) - since they're done with W25Q128 as you suggested was the correct size. (And I do remember personally from the reading bios files with AMI tools it had this exact same size 16,777,216. But I always thought it was wrong, since the .cap file (from asus website if downloaded the latest bios version - 3801 which my BIOS version is currently flashed to) is 16,779,264. And well, largely because I could not get the AMI to flash/save the changes to my bios version.

TL;DR: Either way, enough rambling... Sir, I hope these are helpful. Version 1.19 and 1.31 were able to read and verify, and they are attached with the respective names.
Attached Files
File Type: zip z170ar_1_19.zip (8.23 MB, 6 views)
File Type: zip z170ar_1_31.zip (8.23 MB, 5 views)
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

@HelpDatBIOS sorry didn't know if you read my latest post or not wanted to tag ya just to be sure
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 04:38 AM
B10S TInk3r

@Woofer14123 - Sorry for the delay!! Read and verify is only half the battle, as mentioned you can read/verify all zeros or all FF's. Always check file with hex or drop in BIOS tools and make sure it loos like a complete actual BIOS, when compared to a stock one.
There is only one driver that needs installed, and only once for any of these versions, install it and that's all you never need to install any other.

Cap BIOS is always 2 or 4KB larger than the actual BIOS rom/bin file, the capsule is only security feature and is not written to the BIOS chip at all, only the rom/bin if written to the chip/

Your files attached above are identical and proper, so either of those versions of the software work for you when reading, but both may not when writing, so if you get errors on verify after write or can't boot try the other version instead.

Here is mod BIOS for you to program back, enabled three settings to be visible for you.
@ Advanced >> PCH Configuration page
High Precision Timer
TCO Timer
SPD Write
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...44345905612806

To program to chip, here is my method. Edit the auto button, uncheck erase and blank check, do those manually, leaving only write/verify auto.
Then erase, then blank check, then open BIOS file and hit auto for read/verify
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

i am so glad it worked! all went smoothly. i used the 1.31 version to write and everything you mentioned is now visible, and ill keep you updated once i get home and play the game to see if it helped. and if it did (which was the prime objective) i will be so happy yeeeeee
edit:
@HelpDatBIOS OMG dude. I love you so much broooo, you got no idea what you helped me with !! .

It is SO VERY NICE now, in my game... Just as expected! It's nice and smooth and no more missing shots where I KNOW I HIT THEM etc...

tldr; it is just as nice or even nicer than expected.
I wish you well forever my dear brother.

Last edited by Woofer14123; 12-28-2018 at 06:11 PM.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

@HelpDatBIOS
hello again sir,

So I did figure out how to disable/enable further options within my bios using AMI 5.0 gui utility or something (one of those... downloaded a bunch off their site). And I had been able to do it before as well, just never knew how I could flash it...

My question today is (if you don't mind) sir, that can I just download an older version bios off the motherboard manufacture's website and flash it as is (using the BIOS tools within that same computer - since you unlocked my bios security thing?). Or would I have to go through a process to make that new bios be unlocked since it's not like I'm using the modded version you gave me and playing around with enable/disable settings inside it.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, would you be so kind enough as to tell me how to remove the security so that I can flash any bios I want with the CH341A device? Also how much more complicated is it to keep a different version of ME and CPU code?

I ask this because although I do have a whole lot of new options I can have shown and play around with them and such, but I actually can not find the actual settings earlier bioses offered... And I was looking at the manual of the motherboard and the pictures they have in there have some options that are way too good to pass up on! Also I've heard that later bios versions (I was a fool to update bios, I thought it'd magically make things faster... lol), only add support for further newer generations of CPU's (like 7th and 8th gen...). I just have the 6th gen i7-6700k CPU. So I don't need all those new bioses anyways...

Ty ty again sir, my pc is so much nicer now but yes, I always have this nerd nature to want to do better and more tinkering hehe
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:19 AM
B10S TInk3r

@Woofer14123 - sorry for the long delayed reply, I've been busy and haven't got into the site lately. Great the mod BIOS is working for you better now, and you're not missing those kill shots

Anytime you can flash stock BIOS using EZ Flash, unless it stops you from doing that due to security issues or version rollback issues. There is ways around that too, google asus BIOS rollback.
If you want to enable the settings I changed for you on some older BIOS, then you have to modify with AMIBCP and then put back on using your programmer, or Intel FPT.
For either of those, I suggest you flash to that stock version, then dump the BIOS via FPT or programmer, then modify that, then put it back same way you dumped it.

There is no security that can be stopped when using CH341A, you can program anything you want with that. If you don't dump and modify backups though, you will loose your serial #, UUID, DTS Key, LAN MAC ID etc. So always dump BIOS, mod it, then program back, don't program stock from Asus
Once dumped, you can edit in any CPU microcodes you want, or ME version using this ME Cleanup guided method - https://www.win-raid.com/t1658f39-Gu...alization.html
Here's my guide on ficing _FIT_ table if you edit the microcodes, little bit on microcode editing in that but it's copy/paste so not much for me to say on that in the guide
https://www.win-raid.com/t4032f16-GU...ITool-Hex.html

I doubt settings are missing from new BIOS that were in old BIOS, maybe a rare setting here or there but not usually, probably just in another location. New BIOS add a lot more than CPU compatibility, they fix issues/bugs, add improvements and enhancements all kinds of stuff like that, not just making CPU's work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in