Bios flashback for Asus z170-ar? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bios flashback for Asus z170-ar?

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Bios flashback for Asus z170-ar?

After I updated to the latest bios for my Asus z170-ar mobo I have been experiencing massive amounts of input lag in game. Asus have prevented flashing back using the asus ez flash utility, but I was wondering if maybe someone is holding back a potential work around, I have already seen forum threads with people having no luck, but I really don't want to have to buy a new mobo especially when the actual hardware isn't faulty. Also if someone has knowledge on which mobo brand prioritizes low input lag, because asus definitely does not this is the second mobo of theirs I have had issues with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:40 AM
B10S TInk3r

Upload a dump/backup of your BIOS here using Intel Flash programming tool.

fptw -d backup.bin

If you get error 26, or any "access" errors, you may not be able to easily backup the entire BIOS, but still may be able to reflash some portions.
If the ME is locked, then you may not be able to flashback without an offboard flash programmer (USB CH341A)

There is a trick w/ USB Flashback for Asus, renaming the BIOS to EraseAll or Eall, I can't remember exactly, but I'm not sure if it works in all instances like this.
Usually Intel and Asus may block backward flashing if ME is of concern, if ME region or FD is locked this will be the case no matter what without a flash programmer (Or hot flash on another board with unlocked FD/ME).

There is also this trick (Section E) if it is FD/ME locked, involves shorting live board, to get around locked FD/ME so you can flash, but yeah it's a live short so little risky.
https://www.win-raid.com/t3553f39-Gu...Servicing.html
Attached Files
File Type: zip Flash Programming Tool.zip (2.88 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 06-12-2018 at 09:04 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by HelpDatBIOS View Post
Upload a dump/backup of your BIOS here using Intel Flash programming tool.

fptw -d backup.bin

If you get error 26, or any "access" errors, you may not be able to easily backup the entire BIOS, but still may be able to reflash some portions.
If the ME is locked, then you may not be able to flashback without an offboard flash programmer (USB CH341A)

There is a trick w/ USB Flashback for Asus, renaming the BIOS to EraseAll or Eall, I can't remember exactly, but I'm not sure if it works in all instances like this.
Usually Intel and Asus may block backward flashing if ME is of concern, if ME region or FD is locked this will be the case no matter what without a flash programmer (Or hot flash on another board with unlocked FD/ME).

There is also this trick (Section E) if it is FD/ME locked, involves shorting live board, to get around locked FD/ME so you can flash, but yeah it's a live short so little risky.
https://www.win-raid.com/t3553f39-Gu...Servicing.html
Okay you seem like you have a lot of knowledge definitely coming to you for bios help in the future. Honestly might try one of your risky methods because why not, the board is already dead imo, input lag is so bad and random stutters. I'll get back to u with either good or bad news. If all else fails I'll probably buy an msi board unless you think there is a better brand, gigabyte maybe? Those are the 2 Ive heard good things from anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:52 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 941 (Unique: 578)
Buy a replacement BIOS chip/EEPROM on eBay for ~$10. I bought two for my Z170-E (from bios_store and biosdepot) and both work great. I wanted a modified BIOS flashed to mine and both were happy to flash it for me.

bios_store is in TW and took forever to get to me (2+ months) but it was $5 shipped. biosdepot is in USA and was ~$15.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:34 PM
B10S TInk3r

I agree, above is a good option too! I would do that, or purchase a CH341A flash programmer, before shorting anything.
Those programmers are very cheap and you can find a seller in your country so you wouldn't necessarily have to wait on a China shipment.

No matter what you do, make a backup/dump of your current BIOS using either Asus AISuite, or AFU, or Intel Flash Programming Tool (FPT).
That way you always have a copy stored where you can get your motherboards serial, UUID and Lan MAC to put into the new BIOS files you use.

Here is backup commands for AFU and FPT, along with both programs attached. Right click main apps folder name while holding shift (ie right click afuwin64 folder or WIN folder for the Intel app, inside main)
select "open command window here" then run commands below per the program you use (Or use both, so dual backups just in case)

afuwinx64.exe backupBIOSname.bin /0

fptW -d backupbios.bin

AISUite I am not sure the process, I've not used, but I assume you install and open it after downloading from Asus on your boards download page, then find option to backup to desired location

I can create a BIOS for you once you have a programmer, with any combo of items you need, like new BIOS but old Intel ME, old BIOS w/ new microcodes, new BIOS with old microcodes etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Make BIOS Backup.zip (2.14 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 06-13-2018 at 08:01 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by HelpDatBIOS View Post
I agree, above is a good option too! I would do that, or purchase a CH341A flash programmer, before shorting anything.
Those programmers are very cheap and you can find a seller in your country so you wouldn't necessarily have to wait on a China shipment.

No matter what you do, make a backup/dump of your current BIOS using either Asus AISuite, or AFU, or Intel Flash Programming Tool (FPT).
That way you always have a copy stored where you can get your motherboards serial, UUID and Lan MAC to put into the new BIOS files you use.

Here is backup commands for AFU and FPT, along with both programs attached. Right click main apps folder name while holding shift (ie right click afuwin64 folder or WIN folder for the Intel app, inside main)
select "open command window here" then run commands below per the program you use (Or use both, so dual backups just in case)

afuwinx64.exe backupBIOSname.bin /0

fptW -d backupbios.bin

AISUite I am not sure the process, I've not used, but I assume you install and open it after downloading from Asus on your boards download page, then find option to backup to desired location

I can create a BIOS for you once you have a programmer, with any combo of items you need, like new BIOS but old Intel ME, old BIOS w/ new microcodes, new BIOS with old microcodes etc.
Hello sir,
I would like to take you up on that offer, if I may please... And of course if you are still offering (I HOPE SO )

I have an ASUS z170-AR motherboard, and I currently have the 3801 BIOS version flashed onto it (the latest from the asus website). I am using the 6700k skylake processor, so kabylake compatibility does not concern me (as the latter versions of bios's are said to be supporting of, according to some forum posts and internet reading). But I am by no means an expert of any sort in the case of creating new bioses or knowing what microcodes or Intel ME does and such. However, I do have a CH341A flash programmer.

this is the complete package i received.
It also has a little black 8 pinned chip, which I am not sure what to do with. And of course a usb-mini to usb2.0 wire to connect it.

Um, all I essentially want, sir, is to be able to turn on/off the HPET from the BIOS. (Which currently Asus motherboards do not provide the ability to do so). I would also not mind if you could throw in whatever safe options there are for other things. I am not too sure if the ME options matter or whatnot, but I would really very much appreciate it if you could provide me with a modded file I could flash using this programmer.

Thanks again sir, and if any questions obviously I have just signed up and will be available

Last edited by Woofer14123; 10-26-2018 at 12:42 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:16 PM
B10S TInk3r

@Woofer14123 - 8-pinned PCB goes into the programmer at the 4/4 slot for 25xx BIOS, then cables go from that to motherboard SPI header or other cables used (SOIC8 test clip cable with cli[/clamp) for motherboards with soldered on BIOS

Your board BIOS is removable, so you have to very carefully pry out your motherboard BIOS chip, it's between the PCIE slots near bottom. Use something wooden or plastic, if you did not get a chip/IC puller with your kit.
Wiggle a little at a time from each side, going more carefully and slowly as you near getting it out, because it will bend super easily and the closer you are to getting it out the more prone it is to bend towards one side and trash the legs.
You can stop midway through and slide a thin ribbon or thin set of wires/cables though/between the chip and the socket, then pull snugly straight upwards. Anything you can think of that is thin enough to slide through there will work, thin plastic strip, piece of strong paper etc.

Order you one of these as soon as you can, this way you wont ruin BIOS chips, those legs can bend and break very easily
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123167465408

Once you have the chip out, notice the notch in the socket, the BIOS must always go back into the socket this same way, matching notch is found on the BIOS chip itself, like half-moon or half circle notch on one side of the chip. These always line up
On the programmer, your BIOS chip goes into the rear-most 4/4 slot (Nearest the lever), with the notch in BIOS in the middle of the slot. See the small white diagram on the programmer near rear of the slots w/ lever, there is a little diagram there showing how it goes into programmer (You have 25x)

Here is package of several versions of software, and driver. https://www.sendspace.com/file/gtcmvd
Install the driver first, then for Asus Z170 I found 1.30 software usually works OK. Put your BIOS in, connect the USB cable to programmer and your PC, then open the software.
choose identify chip and if it's W26Q64FV choose BV instead, or visa versa, sometimes you have to try a few if exact match does not work (In this case, I know exact match does not work for W26Q64FV)
Then click read, and then verify, if you get a message buffer/memory and chip match, then click save and upload the file for me to modify for you. Also save a copy somewhere safe so you'll always have a backup of your board details.

To write, I do the following:
1. On the "Auto" menu, uncheck erase and blank check, leaving write/verify checked
2. Erase Chip
3. Blank check
4. Open BIOS file to write
5. Hit auto and wait, once you get memory/buffer and chip match then it's verified and ready to be put back into board.

Upload your backup for me and I will modify for you. First I'll unlock the FD (Flash Descriptor) so you can flash with FPT easier next time around (Be sure you do this yourself on next BIOS too so it stays unlocked - here's how, see image in second spoiler at section "B")
Then I will unlock "BIOS Lock and SMI Lock" if set, this way you don't get other FPT error when trying to flash modified BIOS, these would be reset next time you flash, Here is a guide on how you get around this next time (or you can always use programmer again!) https://www.win-raid.com/t3908f16-GU...-Mod-BIOS.html
Then I will modify any settings you need changed or enabled for viewing (ie made visible to you in BIOS, that's not currently visible)
You can see all hidden settings in AMIBCP 5.02.0023 in the setup config tab, then expandable sections on left side. Google this, you will find, if not send me PM and I will send you.

And yes, I can also update all CPU microcodes if you want, and Intel ME too if you want that updated, just let me know when you post your backup.

By the way, my guide linked right above, will get around FPT 368 error (BIOS region protected) and other similar errors, I wrote the replies in this thread long ago, before I figured out that method and recently created this guide.
So for anyone reading this in the future, this guide will help you flash modified BIOS without having to use programmer, usually. Error 26 will need programmer, can be unlocked in modified BIOS for next time around, but that needs programmed to the board first.
https://www.win-raid.com/t3908f16-GU...-Mod-BIOS.html

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 10-26-2018 at 11:24 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:26 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 941 (Unique: 578)
I think @HelpDatBIOS has the best "specialty" knowledge of anyone on OCN ... I rarely know what you're talking about but it's always interesting

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 04:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

@HelpDatBIOS

So I just placed an order for the 3 dollar bended tong things (to remove chips / BIOS in my case from my mobo so i can proceed with the process you've provided for the current bios file etc.), and while I wait I wanted to ask a few questions if i could:

I looked around a bit, and it seems that the sound card (onboard one) can be "unlocked" ? and the broadband NIC (GIgabit is the same thing right?) can be unlocked? What the heck does this all mean anyway! Will they be improved in functionality - or will their hardware drivers (firmware type of stuff) be upgradable as a result, allowing in-theory better usage of the hardware, or simply unlocking it takes care of all of the performance improvements since the better firmwares are that readily available? Also, IF that is the case (even with any of these onboard hardwares i've mentioned), will you, sir, be including the latest firmware/better performance one?

I mainly play FPS on Windows 7, as I hate 8.1 or 10 cuz of bloatware and i like the simple windows XP look . I want performance, not bubbly things... But anyways, similarly, I would like to remove the ME feature (I think it's for remotely controlling a computer even when it's offline and such? - sounds terrible as i only use it locally.) And all the junk I could get rid of for better ram clock timings or response times and all that "maximum gains" stuff... I mean who wouldn't? haha, I apologize if I sound too enthusiastic and like a total fool, but I just thought I'd mention and possibly get some information. As I don't understand other than unlocking the actual options or some sort of compatibility issues why would anybody wish to flash a modded bios on their motherboard?

Last edited by Woofer14123; 10-27-2018 at 04:24 AM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 11:20 PM
B10S TInk3r

Thanks @The Pook that's funny stuff! (How am I supposed to tag you with a space in your name?)

@Woofer14123 , you don't have to wait for one of those, but if you don't feel confident I would understand. I've bent a few chips pretty bad, few times even with the chip puller too, so it's understandable.
I've dropped them on the desk or floor and they've bent too, it's far to easy to bend these things! If you want, you can order same or similar chip on ebay, maybe from closer seller too, so you could try wedging it out and then if it breaks you'll have another on the way.
Usually you can bend the legs back as long as it's not too terrible of a mess

I'm with you, I have no clue what unlocking a sound card or onboard LAN would do, or why they can be locked or unlocked etc? Lost me there too, did what you read explain more, why it's locked or unlocked, and what unlocking does?
If you are talking about updating BIOS modules, for audio or LAN then yes, that can be done, especially for LAN, maybe for Audio if there is a specific module and you know where the update or a BIOS with the update is then I can probably do that for you too.

You can disable ME, but it can cause you issues, ME on your end is used for controlling many things, clock speeds, crystal frequencies, device timings, etc many things relating to how the board actually runs.
I do not advise considering this as a viable option for any normal home user, daily computer use etc. Maybe if you are part of Anonymouse you might need to do this, but if that was the case you'd already be using Linux or Backtrack

People flash modified BIOS for all kinds of reasons, to update certain BIOS level drivers (Roms/Modules etc) like LAN orom, RAID Rom, CPU microcodes, Intel ME, and often many simply mod to unlock settings that the manufacturer may have hidden or just not enabled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in