Official MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard thread - Page 19 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Official MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard thread

post #181 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:25 AM
WAT

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by magnus71 View Post
MEG ACE is performing really good with 9900k and network but got many troubles with an NVME x4 ssd.
I've build the rig following directions from the manual. Windows 10 is the latest version and UEFI BIOS is updated.
SSD is Crucial P1 1 TB. I'm monitoring temps with HWinfo booting and installing Steam games is ok but during copy of big files after few minutes SSD start to overheat and hitting high temperatures, over 70 C, resulting in an error and stopping task, no throttling or reducing speed.
I was thinking it was a bad NVMe and I was looking for a firmware update but no ones are possible.
But then I tried to extract rar archive from one mechanical hd to another and there were CRC errors that stops the extraction.
PSU is giving enough power (1300w) and voltages 5 and 12 are quite ok, it was providing juice to my previous config.
I used MSI Dragon to enable and disable setting fast HD, not sure correct names now.
What could be the cause of such issues?
I was even trying default settings in BIOS but uptill no progress.
Any help will be appreciated.
I would contact MSI. I am convinced there is something off with the PCH on these. I had issues of downloading files and it would finish downloading but there would be a delay in the final write process to any of the HDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
File corruption was due to a faulty DDR4 module and it's on his way to RMA for G.Skill.
For NVMe I put an heatsink, made by me, on it after removing labels.
I removed the one with pads supplied with motherboard and I applied an heatsink with a little of thermal glue on the chips, now temperatures are in idle 40° Celsius and under heavy duty on 59°.
post #183 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I have mine set up as of last week. Only new are CPU and this motherboard. NO Overclock just yet on teh 9700K, yet in CPU-Z it is fluctuating between 4.7 adn 4.8 GHz???? Also, my Ram 3600 G.Skill trident 15 cas is default at 2133????? Why? I have not touched the Bios yet as it is running so smooth I do not want to f anything up. Vcore is .97. The NIC is fine and internet snappy. I also have the bandwidth limited to 900 MB instead of the full Gig, and 37 upload instead of 42 (max). It's very snappy web surfing. I'm scared to overcloak cause it's so zippy as it is. Heat is 35 idle @ .97 volts with H115i in a push/pull top radiator config. 2 ssds and 2 hds. ASUS strix 1080ti idle at 54, but with fan curve 31.

I could turn the knob at the bottom and get a 5.7 GHz overclock but I won't. Does that auto overclock make your voltage adaptive?

For the first time I've not wanted to overclock because everything is zippy how it is. The 4790K, the 7700K I've owned in the past I've OC'd the crap out of. Now, I just don't wanna ruin a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 38)
I'm on the fence between the Ace, and the Godlike... I've read through a lot of the comments here, with mixed reviews. I plan on buying either one of them this weekend, with a theme in mind for my build, but I'm not sure which of those two boards I should get.

Any advice on whether this board is solid, or do you recommend a different choice?

Last edited by ProfeZZor X; 03-10-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #185 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:36 PM
WAT

Quote: Originally Posted by ProfeZZor X View Post
I'm on the fence between the Ace, and the Godlike... I've read through a lot of the comments here, with mixed reviews. I plan on buying either one of them this weekend, with a theme in mind for my build, but I'm not sure which of those two boards I should get.

Any advice on whether this board is solid, or do you recommend a different choice?
The biggest issue with this board is things related to the PCH and Networking, which I think both the Ace and Godlike share, but I would verify that.
post #186 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by HBizzle View Post
The biggest issue with this board is things related to the PCH and Networking, which I think both the Ace and Godlike share, but I would verify that.
To piggyback off this the meg ace is a fantastic board with great potential. And depending on your luck with your cpu bin you can overclock extremely well on this board. Its pretty effortless to be honest. My 8700k has been at 4.8 on all cores running 1.200 vcore for the past 8 months (since build completion) and has yet to see temps above 67c. (unless using avx stressing)
But besides that the Power delivery is very robust and way more than enough for any kind of tweaking. Besides a few fan headers being placed in awkward positions the lay out i feel is clean and intuitive. And as long as you keep your bios and drivers up to date you shouldn't have an issue.

All in all i landed on the ace because i could not justify spending $600 on a mainstream motherboard, all of the same features are on the ace and you wont be missing out on any new tech between the two. They both take advantage of intels newest offerings and usb c as well as 3.1 support. Nvme/m.2 slots aplenty on here. And good o'l sata 6 and even stand alone pump header if you chose an aio or open loop cooling.

CPU
I7 8700K
Motherboard
MSI MEG ACE
GPU
ASUS ROG STRIX 1070
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO m.2 1TB
Hard Drive
Hp NVME m.2 120GB Boot Drive
Power Supply
Corsair 850 modular
Cooling
Corsair H115i pro
Case
Fractal Define R6 TG black
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Dell s2417dg 24" 165hz G-Sync Tn panel
Keyboard
Corsair K65 RGB
Mouse
Corsair m65 RGB
Mousepad
Corsair desk mat
Audio
Astro A40's with Mix Amp Pro
Audio
Logitech speakers and subwoffer
Other
White and brushed aluminum Glass top desk
Other
Gaming chair
▲ hide details ▲
post #187 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

I also wanted to make this separate post in hopes a few of you guys who have a MEG ACE could lend me a few brain cells. Yesterday (3/14/19) my pc SHUTDOWN without warning. I know that is vague but its all i have to go off of.

Windows did not have an update scheduled i did not shut it down with a physical button or in windows, it just shut off.
After it had shut down it attempted to reboot its self but it would not come on. Basically it powered off i heard the click of my psu and it tried to reboot but could not. It was as if i was flipping a light switch, it would come on then off again in about 1 second intervals.

After it tried to power cycle 3 times i quickly flipped the switch on my psu to cut the power. It came back on with out issue but it happened a second time about an hour and a half later.

Both times i was playing a game (League of Legends) not a very intense game and the second time was fallout 76 also not too demanding.

If you guys have any idea of where i can start to locate a possible failure please chime in i already have run a memory (RAM) diagnostic and it checked out ok. so that leaves mobo psu cpu or gpu.

Also i apologize if this post belongs on another thread but i thought it would be appropriate since we all have the same main board. Thanks in advanced!

CPU
I7 8700K
Motherboard
MSI MEG ACE
GPU
ASUS ROG STRIX 1070
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO m.2 1TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Corsair 850 modular
Cooling
Corsair H115i pro
Case
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K65 RGB
Mouse
Corsair m65 RGB
Mousepad
Corsair desk mat
Audio
Audio
Other
Other
Gaming chair
▲ hide details ▲
post #188 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by HBizzle View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by D-Dow View Post
I have mine set up as of last week. Only new are CPU and this motherboard. NO Overclock just yet on teh 9700K, yet in CPU-Z it is fluctuating between 4.7 adn 4.8 GHz???? Also, my Ram 3600 G.Skill trident 15 cas is default at 2133????? Why? I have not touched the Bios yet as it is running so smooth I do not want to f anything up. Vcore is .97. The NIC is fine and internet snappy. I also have the bandwidth limited to 900 MB instead of the full Gig, and 37 upload instead of 42 (max). It's very snappy web surfing. I'm scared to overcloak cause it's so zippy as it is. Heat is 35 idle @ .97 volts with H115i in a push/pull top radiator config. 2 ssds and 2 hds. ASUS strix 1080ti idle at 54, but with fan curve 31.

I could turn the knob at the bottom and get a 5.7 GHz overclock but I won't. Does that auto overclock make your voltage adaptive?

For the first time I've not wanted to overclock because everything is zippy how it is. The 4790K, the 7700K I've owned in the past I've OC'd the crap out of. Now, I just don't wanna ruin a good thing.
You can push your chip reliably to the turbo frequency on all cores for a simple and what i believe to be a mild OC. That's usually what i do with all of my K series chips. You have the same cooler as i do (H115i). My 8700k runs at the same temps stock as yours and will run about 3-4 c higher with a mild OC at idle. Under load can vary from chip to chip and mobo to mobo but not by much unless you got a bad draw at the silicon lottery.

Personally, i dont believe you would ruin anything by at least trying to squeeze some more performance out of a K series chip. That's what they were built for, Plus the ACE has some of the best cpu power phases around for this generation so far, so clean reliable power this board does well.

CPU
I7 8700K
Motherboard
MSI MEG ACE
GPU
ASUS ROG STRIX 1070
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO m.2 1TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Corsair 850 modular
Cooling
Corsair H115i pro
Case
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Keyboard
Corsair K65 RGB
Mouse
Corsair m65 RGB
Mousepad
Corsair desk mat
Audio
Audio
Other
Other
Gaming chair
▲ hide details ▲
post #189 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM
WAT

Quote: Originally Posted by Cave_Johnson View Post
I also wanted to make this separate post in hopes a few of you guys who have a MEG ACE could lend me a few brain cells. Yesterday (3/14/19) my pc SHUTDOWN without warning. I know that is vague but its all i have to go off of.

Windows did not have an update scheduled i did not shut it down with a physical button or in windows, it just shut off.
After it had shut down it attempted to reboot its self but it would not come on. Basically it powered off i heard the click of my psu and it tried to reboot but could not. It was as if i was flipping a light switch, it would come on then off again in about 1 second intervals.

After it tried to power cycle 3 times i quickly flipped the switch on my psu to cut the power. It came back on with out issue but it happened a second time about an hour and a half later.

Both times i was playing a game (League of Legends) not a very intense game and the second time was fallout 76 also not too demanding.

If you guys have any idea of where i can start to locate a possible failure please chime in i already have run a memory (RAM) diagnostic and it checked out ok. so that leaves mobo psu cpu or gpu.

Also i apologize if this post belongs on another thread but i thought it would be appropriate since we all have the same main board. Thanks in advanced!
Should run HWINFO and see what it shows for voltage etc...

What type of stress testing have you done?
post #190 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 398 (Unique: 284)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cave_Johnson View Post

This is always a power fault somewhere.
It could be the power supply dying. It could be the PSU detecting a surge somewhere else or a short and tripping itself to protect your system.
It could be something dying on the motherboard itself (this is a potential fire or magic smoke risk if that's the case).

Best thing to do is to DISASSEMBLE everything. Take off all PSU cables, remove the video card, remove all other connectors and PCIE cards, remove RAM, check ALL motherboard mounting screws or standoffs for shorting, remove all fan cables, remove all modular cables from the PSU. Check all cables for any burn or scorch marks, then reassemble everything carefully and make sure everything is fully seated. I mean __everything__.

Then hook up all modular cables and reattach and then power up again. Test results.
Post back about what happens.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in