Official MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard thread - Page 24 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Official MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard thread

post #231 of 236 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post
Has anyone tried the new v18 BIOS? I have crazy freezing on the v17 version which seems to be a highly reported problem. Also, 1T for RAM is reported broken in v17 as well. Wondering if v18 fixes these issues but am a bit wary to update.

Are most people here running v16 of the BIOS?

http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B12v18.zip
Where did you find it?

Inviato dal mio POCO F2 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 236 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 09:01 AM
Melted Cheese

Rep: 252 (Unique: 218)
Quote: Originally Posted by shocker94 View Post
Where did you find it?

Someone posted it on the win-raid intel bios modding forums to be custom modded and the download is straight from MSI. It does not show up on the support page for me but the info that comes with it says:

1. This is AMI BIOS release

2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities

3. 2020/5/26

»The Intel Crapper•24/7 RØCK SØLIЫ
i7 80806k»5ghz16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3866C18D»MSI MEG Z390 ACE»MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X TrioSamsung 27" QLED»1440p 144hzThermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1200W Platinum»EVGA CLC 280•Arctic Cøøling P14 PWM Static Pressure Optimised Fans Black»Windøws 10 x64 Pro 20042TB NVMe M.2 & 1.5TB SATA III Solid State Storage
post #233 of 236 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 05:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm having serious issues with the 170 BIOS also.. Under load it powers off and reboots, not a normal reboot, you hear a click and it powers off and reboots.
Also linpack errors out the wazoo when using adaptive voltage. Also requires way more vcore than original bios (and v12 bios). I'm going to try and flash it with the 160 BIOS and see what happens.
Not sure if i want to try a beta bios. Has anyone else seen weird issues with it? POwering off and back on, it will turn off under load, then rebooting again it won't turn off under load but has weird crashes... so odd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by f00zz View Post
I'm having serious issues with the 170 BIOS also.. Under load it powers off and reboots, not a normal reboot, you hear a click and it powers off and reboots.

Also linpack errors out the wazoo when using adaptive voltage. Also requires way more vcore than original bios (and v12 bios). I'm going to try and flash it with the 160 BIOS and see what happens.

Not sure if i want to try a beta bios. Has anyone else seen weird issues with it? POwering off and back on, it will turn off under load, then rebooting again it won't turn off under load but has weird crashes... so odd.
Seem more like a psu issue. I'm using adaptative, i don't have any problem.

post #235 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by shocker94 View Post
Seem more like a psu issue. I'm using adaptative, i don't have any problem.

Definitely something with the BIOS as it didn't happen on previous BIOS. Also, setting voltage higher past 1.4v now seems to fix the problem but i don't want to run it at 1.4v
I guess ill keep it at auto/auto which also sets it to 1.4 and spikes to 1.5 occasionally during avx tests which is nuts for 9900k but it doesn't power off.
When the BIOS has weird issues, I can run OCCT power or linpack tests and it powers off within 1-15 minutes every time, and errors are detected fairly fast.

When it's working properly I can run the same tests for hours with no shutoff/errors. The newer bios seems to have required me to set much more voltage than previous, especially for AVX tests.
Will test next version and see if anything changes.. Not sure why it would cause that. I suspect it's something with the microcode changes or how the bios reads the VID.
I noticed setting adaptive voltage manually in the BIOS v17 and then setting the vcore manually, the manual vcore setting does nothing.. I can change it from 1.2 to 1.4 and nothing changes in hwinfo64. Leaving it at auto auto , the voltage changes like it should but goes pretty darn high when AVX is on 1.4+.
This is on 9900k. SO it may be that the way I had the configuration previously using adaptive and setting a vcore ceiling no longer works in v17.

Also having a problem with dynamic cpu , If i set the CPU multiplier to 50 , and then i set it to dynamic, it ALWAYS sits at 5ghz in hwinfo 64. The only way I can get it to work right is forcing all core turbo and then they go 5ghz when under load, and 800 when idling. Setting multiplier to 50 and setting it to dynamic should have the same result, but it doesn't work..
post #236 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 11:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by f00zz View Post
Definitely something with the BIOS as it didn't happen on previous BIOS. Also, setting voltage higher past 1.4v now seems to fix the problem but i don't want to run it at 1.4v

I guess ill keep it at auto/auto which also sets it to 1.4 and spikes to 1.5 occasionally during avx tests which is nuts for 9900k but it doesn't power off.

When the BIOS has weird issues, I can run OCCT power or linpack tests and it powers off within 1-15 minutes every time, and errors are detected fairly fast.

When it's working properly I can run the same tests for hours with no shutoff/errors. The newer bios seems to have required me to set much more voltage than previous, especially for AVX tests.

Will test next version and see if anything changes.. Not sure why it would cause that. I suspect it's something with the microcode changes or how the bios reads the VID.

I noticed setting adaptive voltage manually in the BIOS v17 and then setting the vcore manually, the manual vcore setting does nothing.. I can change it from 1.2 to 1.4 and nothing changes in hwinfo64. Leaving it at auto auto , the voltage changes like it should but goes pretty darn high when AVX is on 1.4+.

This is on 9900k. SO it may be that the way I had the configuration previously using adaptive and setting a vcore ceiling no longer works in v17.

Also having a problem with dynamic cpu , If i set the CPU multiplier to 50 , and then i set it to dynamic, it ALWAYS sits at 5ghz in hwinfo 64. The only way I can get it to work right is forcing all core turbo and then they go 5ghz when under load, and 800 when idling. Setting multiplier to 50 and setting it to dynamic should have the same result, but it doesn't work..
I'm using the new version 1.80. Works fine for now. Try it and see if the issues are disappeared. If not, use the last working build, there's no need the last version if it doesn't work well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in