(Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Owners Thread) - Page 280 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Owners Thread)

post #2791 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Go back to F7 right now and test the same settings and tell me if you get a WHEA error. The faster you go back the faster you'll find out.
Make sure all current, current protection and power limits are set to the same thing.
Oh wait you're at work right now?
Yeah I had some time this morning to update BIOS and work at home and now I'm at office. About a month ago I removed MX-4 and replaced with NT-H1 paste. I did my usual Prime small fft avx testing and all was fine. So I believe going back to F7 will be fine. I'll adjust voltage settings a bit tonight and see what happens. If it is out of control and I need a lot more voltage I'll decide on either reverting to F7 or switching boards. I'm not happy about having to sit and re-test for at least a few hours, again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 370 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post
Yeah I had some time this morning to update BIOS and work at home and now I'm at office. About a month ago I removed MX-4 and replaced with NT-H1 paste. I did my usual Prime small fft avx testing and all was fine. So I believe going back to F7 will be fine. I'll adjust voltage settings a bit tonight and see what happens. If it is out of control and I need a lot more voltage I'll decide on either reverting to F7 or switching boards. I'm not happy about having to sit and re-test for at least a few hours, again.
The most effective way to test is to go back to F7 without increasing voltage on F8, then verify that in fact F7 will run for hours, that way you waste less time testing and can easily get to a conclusion, e.g. whether your chip just happened to require more voltage suddenly than before, or whether it is the F8 causing it. Did you record your maximum temps in F8? If you did then it's even easier; take note of the temps, go back to F7 and test there first. Doing F8 again and increasing volts first also increases temps and makes a control experiment much more inefficient. Make sure you run your prime test in F7 longer than usual to make sure. Then once you're sure, then go back to F8.

If you want to be really sure, I would do this before going back to F7:
1) Go into your bios and write down ALL of the memory subtimings and tertiary timings shown.
2) Go back to F7, then before doing your test, write down all of the memory subtimings again (after you have the previous F7 config all set up).

3) test Prime in F7 fully.
4) If you see any memory differences, let us know (I have no idea if its a memory subtiming causing this or just a change in voltage regulation---although I really find it hard to believe how that could be messed up; I assume PWM switching Frequency is still working correctly).

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #2793 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

The most effective way to test is to go back to F7 without increasing voltage on F8, then verify that in fact F7 will run for hours, that way you waste less time testing and can easily get to a conclusion, e.g. whether your chip just happened to require more voltage suddenly than before, or whether it is the F8 causing it. Did you record your maximum temps in F8? If you did then it's even easier; take note of the temps, go back to F7 and test there first. Doing F8 again and increasing volts first also increases temps and makes a control experiment much more inefficient. Make sure you run your prime test in F7 longer than usual to make sure. Then once you're sure, then go back to F8.

If you want to be really sure, I would do this before going back to F7:
1) Go into your bios and write down ALL of the memory subtimings and tertiary timings shown.
2) Go back to F7, then before doing your test, write down all of the memory subtimings again (after you have the previous F7 config all set up).

3) test Prime in F7 fully.
4) If you see any memory differences, let us know (I have no idea if its a memory subtiming causing this or just a change in voltage regulation---although I really find it hard to believe how that could be messed up; I assume PWM switching Frequency is still working correctly).
Will post when I get the time and patience to revert; I didn't save the F7 profile on USB so I can't quickly load settings but shouldn't take too long. I never adjust memory settings, always use XMP profile and leave it at that. I did note my max temps in F8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by derelict360 View Post
Is this what the RAM was rated for though or was it overclocked? I'm curious if anyone has tried the RAM that's actually rated for around 4400 MHz.
I'll be RAM tuning today on my board. So far 4266MHz is rock solid on my 32GB G.Skill TridentZ rgb 4266MHz sticks 8GBx4. The goal is to get it to 4522MHz with decent timings. The rgb's should help boost it and keep it stable. Lol I kid...

Custom Water Cooled Beast ┊9900K @ 5.4GHz┊32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB @ 4266MHz (Stable)┊1TB Samsung 970 Pro m.2┊EVGA 2080Ti FTW3┊Z390 Master┊w/ 8086K @ 5.4GHz All Cores (Stable)
☆ PR's so far with this combo/set up: Fire Strike [31737] | Time Spy [16146] | Cinebench R15 [2332cb] | Cinebench R20 [5572cb] |
★ Status: Stock 9900K is in testing...

Last edited by iunlock; 03-19-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #2795 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post
Will post when I get the time and patience to revert; I didn't save the F7 profile on USB so I can't quickly load settings but shouldn't take too long. I never adjust memory settings, always use XMP profile and leave it at that. I did note my max temps in F8.
Thank you for your help.
Remember after putting F7 on your USB, before flashing, go into your bios and write down on paper the 2nd and tertiary RAM timings that are shown in F8.
Probably best to write them on paper but if you feel screenshots are better, whatever works (I never used the screenshot feature, maybe i should).
Then after reverting to F7 and setting XMP, save, reboot, and compare the settings. That's why writing them down on paper is easier..you can see what you wrote and compare them easily while saved screenshots would be awkward (I guess unless you used your phone to capture them!). Then its prime test time.

If there is a difference in subtimings between F7 and F8, then it's pretty easy to just change that timing back and see if you regain stability again.
Just to note: It was F8H where I noticed it requiring more voltage. I just never thought about RAM subtimings as I really know little about RAM.
Another user earlier in this thread said F8H was more unstable and 10C hotter than F8G, but 10C is a massive amount, so I really can't believe the accuracy of that.

BTW is your prime test with AVX enabled, FMA3 enabled or with AVX disabled (SSE2/Type1/Core2/Pentiuim4/type 0?)

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #2796 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

Rep: 9 (Unique: 2)
Thank you for your help.
Remember after putting F7 on your USB, before flashing, go into your bios and write down on paper the 2nd and tertiary RAM timings that are shown in F8.
Probably best to write them on paper but if you feel screenshots are better, whatever works (I never used the screenshot feature, maybe i should).
Then after reverting to F7 and setting XMP, save, reboot, and compare the settings. That's why writing them down on paper is easier..you can see what you wrote and compare them easily while saved screenshots would be awkward (I guess unless you used your phone to capture them!). Then its prime test time.

If there is a difference in subtimings between F7 and F8, then it's pretty easy to just change that timing back and see if you regain stability again.
Just to note: It was F8H where I noticed it requiring more voltage. I just never thought about RAM subtimings as I really know little about RAM.
Another user earlier in this thread said F8H was more unstable and 10C hotter than F8G, but 10C is a massive amount, so I really can't believe the accuracy of that.

BTW is your prime test with AVX enabled, FMA3 enabled or with AVX disabled (SSE2/Type1/Core2/Pentiuim4/type 0?)
You should be able to get all timings using this little program ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAMTimings3733.png
Views:	9
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	260120  

i9 9900K: Base Clock = 100 | CPU Clock Ratio = 50 | AVX Offset = Auto | Uncore Ratio = 47 | Internal AC/DC Load Line = Turbo | AC Loadline = 1 | DC Loadline = 1 | Vcore Loadline Calibration = Medium | Vcore = Normal | DVID = +0.110V | BCLK Adaptive Voltage = Disabled | SVID offset = Disabled | VCCIO = 1.120V (1.100V) | VCCSA = 1.100V (1.116V)| Intel Turbo Boost Technology = Disabled | Intel SST = Enabled | C-States = C8 | CPU EIST Function = Enabled | DDR = [email protected]
My Precious
(20 items)
CPU
Intel i9 9900K
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
GPU
MSI GTX 970
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Hard Drive
WD 2 TB HDD
Power Supply
Seasonic 850W Platinum
Cooling
NZXT Kraken X72
Case
Corsair Crystal 570X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung UE40D6530 40"
Monitor
Samsung 226BW
Monitor
Iiyama Prolite E2208HDS
Monitor
Dell 2209WA
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G903
Mousepad
Logitech Powerplay
Audio
Onkyo TX-NR509 (hdmi)
▲ hide details ▲
post #2797 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Intrud3r View Post
You should be able to get all timings using this little program ?
It doesn't show some timings and it's also been shown some timings may be read wrong on Gigabyte boards.

post #2798 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

Rep: 9 (Unique: 2)
It doesn't show some timings and it's also been shown some timings may be read wrong on Gigabyte boards.
Ohhh .... oops, didn't know. Excuses moi.

i9 9900K: Base Clock = 100 | CPU Clock Ratio = 50 | AVX Offset = Auto | Uncore Ratio = 47 | Internal AC/DC Load Line = Turbo | AC Loadline = 1 | DC Loadline = 1 | Vcore Loadline Calibration = Medium | Vcore = Normal | DVID = +0.110V | BCLK Adaptive Voltage = Disabled | SVID offset = Disabled | VCCIO = 1.120V (1.100V) | VCCSA = 1.100V (1.116V)| Intel Turbo Boost Technology = Disabled | Intel SST = Enabled | C-States = C8 | CPU EIST Function = Enabled | DDR = [email protected]
My Precious
(20 items)
CPU
Intel i9 9900K
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
GPU
MSI GTX 970
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Hard Drive
WD 2 TB HDD
Power Supply
Seasonic 850W Platinum
Cooling
NZXT Kraken X72
Case
Corsair Crystal 570X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung UE40D6530 40"
Monitor
Samsung 226BW
Monitor
Iiyama Prolite E2208HDS
Monitor
Dell 2209WA
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G903
Mousepad
Logitech Powerplay
Audio
Onkyo TX-NR509 (hdmi)
▲ hide details ▲
post #2799 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by iunlock View Post
I'll be RAM tuning today on my board. So far 4266MHz is rock solid on my 32GB G.Skill TridentZ rgb 4266MHz sticks 8GBx4. The goal is to get it to 4522MHz with decent timings. The rgb's should help boost it and keep it stable. Lol I kid...
I'm interested to see how it turns out.

When are you getting your i9?

CPU
i9 9900k
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC - 11GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series - 32 GB, DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB Internal SSD
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W Fully Modular
Cooling
CORSAIR Hydro Series, H115i RGB PLATINUM
Case
Cooler Master MasterCase MC500P
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
▲ hide details ▲
post #2800 of 3407 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thank you for your help.

I'm using the latest Prime with FMA3 enabled. I will just do these tests using the secondary BIOS which is on F7. I'll flip the switch and compare settings and test. Dual BIOS come in handy after all, haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in