SOLVED: ASRock x79 Extreme7 Won't Post - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

SOLVED: ASRock x79 Extreme7 Won't Post

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 50)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
It's just a guess! It could be some other component that you tested with that was also faulty or a memory training error that for some reason got carried over to the other RAM you tried or probably a ton of other things but given you've tested most everything else it seems the most logical.

Motherboard fault codes are often useless and inaccurate so swapping components is really the best way to go about testing things anyway.
Gotcha.

I can't remember if an old itx board i have uses ddr2 or ddr3. If it's ddr3 I'll try each dim individually in there and run memtest to try to rule out at least 1 dimm. Then I can try moving it around from slot to slot.

Logically ram does make sense though because I could see the system getting stuck on a bad sector. It's just weird that never has caused it to crash. I run multiple virtual machines and gaming servers on this build when it's running so it's odd that the ram would never cause a crash if it's faulty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Mr.4way SLI

Rep: 191 (Unique: 171)
I would check the mem as a few others have stated. If it ends up being the board keep in mind you can still get it sent in for replacement to Asrock however it will more than likely cost the $50 out of warranty fee.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Moparman View Post
I would check the mem as a few others have stated. If it ends up being the board keep in mind you can still get it sent in for replacement to Asrock however it will more than likely cost the $50 out of warranty fee.
Good to know, although I have a feeling ASRock will continue ignoring my emails or else I would have already pursued that route. Perhaps it's my fault and I gave too much detail in the support email. Still they could have at least responded asking for clarification. If I don't hear back from the one I sent yesterday I'll try one more time and leave the details at "the board won't post." That would make it a bit easier for someone to digest what's going on and start the RMA process. For $50 I'll gladly send it in for a replacement, that's reasonable.

They've been great in the past though which is why it's pretty disappointing I haven't received a response in 3 months... I exclusively purchase ASRock boards because of the support I received in the past (and that I rarely need to RMA any ASRock boards so the QC seems to be pretty darned good).

Anyway, couldn't fall asleep last night when I logged off so I'm running on empty and will work on this tomorrow.

I appreciate the t/s suggestions from everyone. On the todo list is try to find a ddr3 compatible board to run memtest on a couple dimms and try to boot the system without any keyboard/mouse connected.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Mr.4way SLI

Quote: Originally Posted by mrwesth View Post
Good to know, although I have a feeling ASRock will continue ignoring my emails or else I would have already pursued that route. Perhaps it's my fault and I gave too much detail in the support email. Still they could have at least responded asking for clarification. If I don't hear back from the one I sent yesterday I'll try one more time and leave the details at "the board won't post." That would make it a bit easier for someone to digest what's going on and start the RMA process. For $50 I'll gladly send it in for a replacement, that's reasonable.

They've been great in the past though which is why it's pretty disappointing I haven't received a response in 3 months... I exclusively purchase ASRock boards because of the support I received in the past (and that I rarely need to RMA any ASRock boards so the QC seems to be pretty darned good).

Anyway, couldn't fall asleep last night when I logged off so I'm running on empty and will work on this tomorrow.

I appreciate the t/s suggestions from everyone. On the todo list is try to find a ddr3 compatible board to run memtest on a couple dimms and try to boot the system without any keyboard/mouse connected.
I'm very shocked it has taken so long to here back from them.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Mr.4way SLI

Sorry for the double post. I just sent you a direct contact with ASRock.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well I think I am out of luck.

I finally got in touch with an Asrock rep. After a troubleshooting exchange I didn't hear back from the rep from my last reply right before thanksgiving. That's understandable so I sent a follow-up reply today. Here is the exchange:

Quote:
Wes H Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 5:19 PM
To: Support <[email protected]>

I'm assuming you guys are busy for the holidays which is delaying the replies.

Is it possible to just mail it to you and pay you guys to refurbish the board?

Support <[email protected]> Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 6:33 PM
To: Wes H

Unfortunately Asrock does not have any repair center in USA and no longer to repair , about refurbish board , this model is complete decontiniued and our RMA department does not have any.

ASRock America Support

Wes H Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:17 PM
To: Support <[email protected]>

Is there nothing you all can do?
The board is only 6 years old. I know it is out of warranty but I am willing to pay for repairs.

Intel discontinued this socket type so if the board can't be repaired I will be forced to pay a premium for a used board or go to an entirely different socket -- meaning new ram, processor, and mb.

My hope buying this i7 extreme system is I would have a great gaming rig for years and then a serviceable server after the fact. All of the other components have held up but this is the second time this board has caused problems.

Can you please check again if there is anything you all can do to help?

Does anyone want to post a 2011 socket board in the F/S section for me? :"(

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So a little update on this in case it helps anyone:

Asrock never replied but I got the board to boot after clearing the cmos repeatedly around the 1st of the year. I was able to keep it going until earlier today. The most recent dr. debug code is 4F after cmos clears and resets and all the other steps.

Reading through a few google search results someone suggested replacing the bios chip and I think I found a suitable one on ebay for 15$ so I'm gonna give that a whirl. Will update in a week or 2 when it arrives if this fixes the issue or not.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:57 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 104 (Unique: 82)
Am I correct in assuming you have checked the voltage of the CMOS battery?
the 2016 or 2032 sized battery is a 3.3 volt type, and should not read below 3 volts. Some older computers didnt mind if it got as low as 2.7, but many of my personal AMD FX rigs over the years, and both my X99 pc's hate going below 3.0 volts
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It was the bios chip. The new chip is in and the board posts every single reboot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in