GIGABYTE Z390 M GAMING vs ASRock Z390M Pro4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE Z390 M GAMING vs ASRock Z390M Pro4

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 13)
GIGABYTE Z390 M GAMING vs ASRock Z390M Pro4

Currently planning a new rig built around a 9700k. I have most everything picked but I'm torn when it comes to the motherboard. Historically, I've used Asus, but I haven't built anything in ~8 years and recall their QC and RMA process to be lackluster; from what I've read it seems that remains the case. On top of that, I find the ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming to be lacking in features for the cost.

I plan to choose between the GIGABYTE Z390 M GAMING and the ASRock Z390M Pro4. The M Gaming seems well built, especially while considering how they reinforced the top PCIe slot and two memory slots. The Pro4 seems well built too, but I read reviews for the Z370M variant that hint at poor quality.

Instead of basing my judgements on visuals and reviews, I figured I'd run a question past you all. My goal is to build something with the least amount of headaches up front, and minimal headaches as it ages; it should simply work without fuss. I'm hoping this build will carry me 5+ years down the road.

I have no experience with either GIGABYTE nor ASRock; how are they when it comes to UX / QC / durability / customer support?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:20 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Eh there's no contest between those two boards.

The Z390M Gaming from Gigabyte is using doublers to achieve 10 phases for VCore (4C10N+4C06N per phase). The Z390M Pro4 from Asrock is using 8 mosfets likely from NIKOS or Sinopower for VCORE and some of the vCORE isn't even heatsinked.

Asrock has better BIOS but the Gigabyte is hands down the better board between the two.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the MSI Z390M edge to be honest , it has a larger heatsink and the ALC1220 audio plus the black goes with any build more or less. The mosfets used have lower RDS(on) so it is relatively comparable to the Gigabyte board as long as you aren't using an AVX load without offsets. The ASUS TUF mATX board would be the last thing I would look at given its cost , use of 8 phases 4c10n+4c06n without doublers, 3 audio jack solution, and the use of the orange yellow and TUF logos everywhere.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Eh there's no contest between those two boards.

The Z390M Gaming from Gigabyte is using doublers to achieve 10 phases for VCore (4C10N+4C06N per phase). The Z390M Pro4 from Asrock is using 8 mosfets likely from NIKOS or Sinopower for VCORE and some of the vCORE isn't even heatsinked.

Asrock has better BIOS but the Gigabyte is hands down the better board between the two.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the MSI Z390M edge to be honest , it has a larger heatsink and the ALC1220 audio plus the black goes with any build more or less. The mosfets used have lower RDS(on) so it is relatively comparable to the Gigabyte board as long as you aren't using an AVX load without offsets. The ASUS TUF mATX board would be the last thing I would look at given its cost , use of 8 phases 4c10n+4c06n without doublers, 3 audio jack solution, and the use of the orange yellow and TUF logos everywhere.
Appreciate your input! This was helpful.

Re: MSI Z390M - I found the layout to fall short of the GIGABYTE (MSI's M.2 slots are less exposed as GIGABYTE's M.2 slots), the audio won't mean much to me as I'll use a USB DAC, and it's $30-40 more (depending on sale). That said, it does have the Wi-Fi built in.. but that could be added later if needed. All that noted, is there any other reason to consider the MSI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 AM
⤷ αC

The MSI Z390M Edge has a USB 3.1 gen 2 front panel header. Most cases don't have that yet so I didn't mention it.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
The MSI Z390M Edge has a USB 3.1 gen 2 front panel header. Most cases don't have that yet so I didn't mention it.
Hi AlphaC,

Thanks for your input. I’m going through your great list here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/27657582-post2156.html.

My requirements are either a mATX or ITX mobo that will be able to run a 9900K without any throttling on sustained load (3d rendering) at stock speeds. I also want WiFi.

What would you recommend as safe choices? I’m looking at the Asus Z390 ROG Maximis XI Gene for peace of mind, but it is probably overkill since I wont be overclocking (maybe ram a touch).

These got my attention:
Asus Z390 ROG Maximis XI Gene
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming
Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro WiFi (not sure about this)
MSI Z390M Gaming Edge AC
ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX

Will they all cut the mustard?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:01 AM
⤷ αC

Should be fine with the STRIX ITX , Aorus ITX , Edge MATX , or Phantom ITx.

I'm partial to the Phantom ITX because I did a value calculation and the Phantom ITX is unlikely to dip in price much.

Assume $100 board design
5x ISL99927B @ $7 each = $35
Thunderbolt 3 = $60 minimum
wifi ac 2x2 = $10-15

total ~$200ish

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Should be fine with the STRIX ITX , Aorus ITX , Edge MATX , or Phantom ITx.

I'm partial to the Phantom ITX because I did a value calculation and the Phantom ITX is unlikely to dip in price much.

Assume $100 board design
5x ISL99927B @ $7 each = $35
Thunderbolt 3 = $60 minimum
wifi ac 2x2 = $10-15

total ~$200ish
Thanks a lot, AlphaC, highly appreciated!

Yeah, that Phantom ITX gives a lot for value, no doubt.

Warming up to Z390 Strix ITX too. overclock3d.net came away impressed with the cooling of the power phase area given the small form factor:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/..._itx_review/17

Check the YouTube review on the page too where they talk about the heat sink (around 7 minutes)

Some good options for us mATX ITX builders.

Last edited by WilleOC; 11-03-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Tags
Asrock , Gigabyte , z390

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in