3x M.2 Drives+2x HDD Drives - Which Mobo? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3x M.2 Drives+2x HDD Drives - Which Mobo?

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So basically going with Z390 Aorus Master or Z390 Taichi, in theory it will all work, but the speeds would all be slowed down. The two HDD 1&2 wont be used when I edit. Or shall I say a combo of all 3 wont be being used together. HDD's will basically be for storage purposes only. I dont think I would have a read/write issue there. At least I dont think.

Also I think i may be doing 3 970 Pro not Evo. Hadn't updated that picture from pcpartspicker.

I appreciate the help and insight. Really want to keep this whole ssd/hdd setup the way I had intended but its looking like it may not work that way, or at least not to full capacity. Gonna keep researching and see what I can come up with. Maybe look into some of the X299 platforms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
Is there any good general guides on Lanes and how they work on the board and with the CPU?

Just Roll With It
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:59 PM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 268 (Unique: 215)
I think you only loss SATA ports if you use SATA m.2. That is how my Z270 board works. Unless my board makes use of a plx chip for the SATA ports.

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(11 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Galax HOF
Hard Drive
850 pro
Hard Drive
960 Pro
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by HansJr View Post
So basically going with Z390 Aorus Master or Z390 Taichi, in theory it will all work, but the speeds would all be slowed down. The two HDD 1&2 wont be used when I edit. Or shall I say a combo of all 3 wont be being used together. HDD's will basically be for storage purposes only. I dont think I would have a read/write issue there. At least I dont think.

Also I think i may be doing 3 970 Pro not Evo. Hadn't updated that picture from pcpartspicker.

I appreciate the help and insight. Really want to keep this whole ssd/hdd setup the way I had intended but its looking like it may not work that way, or at least not to full capacity. Gonna keep researching and see what I can come up with. Maybe look into some of the X299 platforms.

I am also considering the fact that you will be going fro 4K/8K video editing in the future where storage speeds will be even more important for real time work...

You can always get an NVME PCI-E card 8X on the Z390 platform and set the GPU @ 8X (only the 2080Ti can saturate 8X Lanes and not much, but future GPUs will do so more).

In any case the new entry level 8 core X299 CPUs offer 44 PCI-E lanes now and the price difference from the Z390 platform to X299 might be worth it.

Have a look at the new Asus X299 line up too..

X299 - i9 7940X
(24 items)
CPU
i9-7940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
RAM
64GB Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Gold 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
MO-RA 420 Pro
Cooling
EK RVIE Monoblock
Cooling
Phanteks Asus Strix 1080Ti GPU Block
Cooling
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Heatkiller 200mm Reservoir
Cooling
9X Corsair ML140 Pro Fans
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ SW320 32" 4K
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:05 PM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 12 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
use the pcpartspicker website, choose which cpu you "start" the pc build with.

The website will automatically filter the motherboards that are supporting whatever cpu.

Then on the left side of the build, when you search the motherboards, you can toggle how many m.2 ports you need.

Then you find all available marketed motherboards that fit your needs.
The challenge is that I don't think PCParkPicker is smart enough to understand that a board with 3 M.2 slots and 8 SATA connections (like the ASRock Z390 Taichi) actually shares lanes between two of the M.2 slots and four of the SATA connections. So, if you use all three M.2 slots, you only have 4 SATA connections left (two native, two ASMedia). One has to read the fine print of a motherboard spec to understand this.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:15 PM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 12 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Abaidor View Post
This is from Asrock and the Z390 Taichi

*M2_1, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

If M2_2 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_3 will be disabled.

M2_3, SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

It looks like there is no way to set any of the M2 slots to directly communicate with the CPU via PCI-E since all are wired through the DMI Link (the chipset) meaning that you have 4X Lanes that ALL of them Have to share with SATA/USB/LAN...

With 3 M2 drives you lose the following SATA ports:

SATA_3_0
SATA_3_1
SATA_3_3
SATA_3_4
SATA_3_5

Out of the 8 SATA ports you are left with 3 and after you connect your 2X HDDs with one.
This isn't quite correct. If all three M.2 slots are filled with PCIE devices (not SATA devices), then you'd have four SATA ports left.

There are three M.2 slots on the ASRock Z390 Taichi. One slot M2_2 has its own PCIE lanes and if occupied with a PCIE device, it does not take any SATA ports. Only if it has a SATA M.2 device in it, then it replaces SATA3_1.

So, with all three M.2 PCIEx4 cards, you lose four SATA connectors and have four left.

FYI, I have two M.2 PCIEx4 SSDs on my Taichi, and 5 SATA drives and have one available SATA port.

I agree that a platform with more lanes might be worth considering or the OP may also want to consider consolidating spinning drives as several smaller capacity drives can often be replaces with a single higher capacity drive these days since $$/TB have dropped so much over the past 5 years. It also tends to really simplify data management and backup management. I'm in the process of going from 4 older spinning hard drives of varying capacities down to 2, one active and one backup, both identical capacities. I also kind of like the idea of replacing spinning drives that are more than 4-5 years old too when practical. Tends to proactively avoid drive failures.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case

Last edited by jfriend00; 01-09-2019 at 10:21 PM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Yes you are right since I did not "study" the board in great depth but the point I am trying to make is that they share bandwidth through the DMI link and that could prove to be a bottleneck in scenarios where concurrent use of multiple m.2 & Sata is required.

Unless when you say "One slot M2_2 has its own PCIE lanes" you mean that it is wired directly to the CPU(????). Can he take lanes from the GPU (16X slot) and assign 4X of them there and then have 4X more for another PCI-E slot? If that is so then the platform could work but I have no Z170-Z390 hands on experience (or their BIOSes) so I don't know. I am on an X299 platform.

Finally consolidating HDDs would be a great idea and I have actually done it. I have over 20 spinners and my old rig had 14 of them at capacities of 1 & 2 TB. In my new rig I got a WD Gold 10TB as my daily storage drive and then I have 2X 4TB as hot swap drives for backup. I have installed a switch box in my case so I turn them off completely when not needed and I can of course swap any of my other older drives (phasing them out now) in the hop swap caddys whenever I want.

The switch box that appears in the image below is wired directly to my 2X Hot Swap caddies (tool-less) and I have them setup as Hot-Swap in the BIOS too...this is the bottom of my Cosmos 2 case and since it is raised I can access it easily (illuminated switches too) from the front while it also remains out of view. I have moved the Hot-Swap caddies to the top with their own cooling channel (needs modding) since I needed to install an 120mm Fan at their place in the front for better case airflow to the memory & DIMM 2 (Asus m.2 SSD slots).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180413_085339810_iOS.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	245282  

Name:	20180413_085322098_iOS.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	245284  

Name:	20180413_085317651_iOS.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	245286  

X299 - i9 7940X
(24 items)
CPU
i9-7940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
RAM
64GB Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Gold 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
MO-RA 420 Pro
Cooling
EK RVIE Monoblock
Cooling
Cooling
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ SW320 32" 4K
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you all for your input and help. Been doing ALOT of reading lately on the topic. Learning about lanes and other things.

I think I’m going to stick with the Z390 build. It seems I can still have the hdd for storage and the three m.2 drives. Down the road I will probably just get one bigger drive. Only reason for currently keeping the two right now is they are only about 6months old and less I will have to spend off the bat, same with the gpu. I do have everything backed up to my qnap Nas BEFORE it goes to the computer right now.

Still gonna do some more research before any trigger is pulled. Keep seeing this pop up, and it seeeeems it may be another alternative if I read others inputs about it being able to break up the x16 lanes. Unless I read that wrong too?

Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion NV Me M.2 Drives and Speed up to 128Gbps Components https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753JTJTG..._wC-nCbAA383Z3
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

The Asus Hyper M.2 X16 is the card I was talking about (NVME card) above. You can get 8X Lanes through this and although you "scarifice" 8X lanes from the GPU it does not matter unless you stress something like an 2080Ti and above...Even the 2080Ti loses something 2-3% on 8X but this will go up with faster cards (e.g. Titans or future models). Still you are not a gamer so no worries.

X299 - i9 7940X
(24 items)
CPU
i9-7940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
RAM
64GB Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Gold 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
MO-RA 420 Pro
Cooling
EK RVIE Monoblock
Cooling
Cooling
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ SW320 32" 4K
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Abaidor View Post
The Asus Hyper M.2 X16 is the card I was talking about (NVME card) above. You can get 8X Lanes through this and although you "scarifice" 8X lanes from the GPU it does not matter unless you stress something like an 2080Ti and above...Even the 2080Ti loses something 2-3% on 8X but this will go up with faster cards (e.g. Titans or future models). Still you are not a gamer so no worries.
Apprecitate the help! I learned alot just by making this post. And yeah I dont game at all. So I may end up just getting that card and calling it a day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in