Need help finding Intel board - Asus Rampage VI or Asrock Fatal1ty Pro XE or something else... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need help finding Intel board - Asus Rampage VI or Asrock Fatal1ty Pro XE or something else...

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Need help finding Intel board - Asus Rampage VI or Asrock Fatal1ty Pro XE or something else...

I'm looking for a board, and the current 2 in the running are nowhere to be found.

I'd like to place the order today or tomorrow as I'm about to purchase either a 9900x for 820 USD, or 7900x for 800 USD or 7920 for 919 USD...
I do like the 7 series because I can delid it and I already have a replacement IHS and the delidding tool. For the 9900x I do like that it is newer, and the fact that it has more cache. The solder doesn't seem to help much so that's a deterrent...

Anyway, the current 2 boards I'm looking at purchasing are:

ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme LGA2066
Asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming I9 Xe ( OR Non-XE - if it makes sense )

The reason is because both supports 3 M.2 NVME, they both have at least 6 SATA, they both have 10 Gigabit internet. The Asrock has 2x 1 Gigabit networking which can be paired for 2 Gigabit networking until I get my server room built. The Asrock also has 13 VRM supporting 1300 watts.. The Asus is what 10? I also like that the Asrock isn't full of RGB lighting - it has one spot which has some lighting if I recall correctly.

The Asrock XE version of the board, which I can't find, has ( vs the non XE ) a Heatsink and heatpipe from the 13 VRM units to the backplate area... It also has an additional 8 pin CPU connector so the power isn't all going down a single connector.

The Non-XE version is on sale for around $300 - I may purchase it - but, is the heatsink / heatpipe combo along with the extra 8 pin cpu connector worth spending time trying to find it? The XE version I can't find either new.. Used it seems to be around $435. Is the XE version worth the extra $100 for the heatpipe / heatsink and extra connector?

And, the Asus board, I can't find for less than $800 USED on eBay.. It used to be around $600 new - why is it no longer available? Is it discontinued?

Also, I haven't been able to find any reviews on the Asrock board. Even the German one just talked about the specs and how 'sweet' it looked with the black / gray with red accent line instead of being more serious.

Does anyone have either board? What are your thoughts? I have found benchmarks and it seems the Asus performs slightly better with identical components...

Also, if anyone can think of a different motherboard I haven't seen - please let me know...

I would like to have onboard 10 gigabit, 6x SATA 6, 6x SAS ( Right now 6TB or 8TB SAS 12 Gbps drives run for around $100 each ), 3 M.2 NVME, as least 2 PCI-E x16 slots ( preferred would be 3 or 4 ) and at least 1 or 2 x4 / x1...

If I have to order a 10g network card, that can be arranged since I can order a dual port for around $100 and pair them for a 20 gigabit connection. But I'd rather not fill the computer up with cards... SAS would be a nice touch since I'd rather not use PCI-E...

Thanks

EDIT: Actually, if PCIE-5 is out by the end of the year... I may just wait for the big upgrade until then... And, for the meantime buy a processor, memory and mbd which lets me play the latest games, and do what I currently do quicker... No point in dumping 2 grand into hardware if the next 2 jumps are not even a year around the corner.

Last edited by Acecool; 01-26-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
The Asrock is in stock in some German shops, but I don't know if they ship outside the EU.

https://www.caseking.de/en/asrock-fa...-mbar-269.html
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 AM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 23 (Unique: 9)
ASRock Z390 Taichi seems to meet your requirements, 3 M.2, 8 SATA, good VRM, dual 10 Gigabit ethernet.

I have no idea about its availability in your region

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in