4.9ghz Overclock Stuck at 4.88ghz...... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

4.9ghz Overclock Stuck at 4.88ghz......

Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TYS1999

4.9ghz Overclock Stuck at 4.88ghz......

Hello,

So I have an ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard and I have an Intel Core i5 8600k in the socket. I overclocked it in the bios to run at 4.9ghz but when I boot into windows, it sits at 4.88ghz for some reason. I don't understand why. There aren't any settings that immediately stick out to me in the bios that would be responsible for this.

Just for some extra information:
- I have 16 Gigs of DDR4 ram running at 3200mhz
- I have disabled C-States for a full time overclock (personal preference)

I would really appreciate some help with this if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 PM
New to Overclock.net
Shadowarez Level 1

Checked power options make sure it's not limited there.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Old 01-30-2019, 11:35 PM
professional curmudgeon
looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about

open CPU-Z and look at the bus speed. it's not uncommon for it to be ~99.98 instead of 100Mhz

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
"The more you buy, the more you save." - Jensen Huang GTC 2018
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Is EPU enabled? I've niticed this setting lowering weird things like input voltage and lowering my clocks in a similar way. Is your base clock reading 100 when this happens?
It's pretty common to see something like 4.899 but yours does seem pretty drastic.

Wait...you said when you boot into windows. What is it doing the rest of the time? Is it closer to 4.9 under load? If IEST is enabled your power plan in windows can change your clock speed. Setting to "high performance", minimum clocks set to 5% with IEST enabled will disable core parking and keep your CPU in a higher clock state much longer while still allowing downclocking while idle for a while. C-states doesn't effect clock speed so on or off shouldn't make any difference in this particular issue.

If you're going to disable C-states you might as well do a few other things that could effect performance/clocks/power saving:
Set windows to high performance with 100% minimum speed
Disable EIST (SpeedStepping)
Disable Asus EPU
Allow your board to use max current on the CPU and ram
Set your VRM to full phase mode
Use manual (static) vcore and cache

In my experience none of these things have had a noticeable effect on performance or stability...well other than the removal of core parking and the prevention of downclocking under load. Also the adaptive vcore shouldn't be used while stressing as it can raise the vcore above what you've set. Beyond those things I haven't noticed any performance difference, I'm not saying you should enable power saving or w/e just sharing my experience.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Old 01-31-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TYS1999

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Is EPU enabled? I've niticed this setting lowering weird things like input voltage and lowering my clocks in a similar way. Is your base clock reading 100 when this happens?
It's pretty common to see something like 4.899 but yours does seem pretty drastic.

Wait...you said when you boot into windows. What is it doing the rest of the time? Is it closer to 4.9 under load? If IEST is enabled your power plan in windows can change your clock speed. Setting to "high performance", minimum clocks set to 5% with IEST enabled will disable core parking and keep your CPU in a higher clock state much longer while still allowing downclocking while idle for a while. C-states doesn't effect clock speed so on or off shouldn't make any difference in this particular issue.

If you're going to disable C-states you might as well do a few other things that could effect performance/clocks/power saving:
Set windows to high performance with 100% minimum speed
Disable EIST (SpeedStepping)
Disable Asus EPU
Allow your board to use max current on the CPU and ram
Set your VRM to full phase mode
Use manual (static) vcore and cache

In my experience none of these things have had a noticeable effect on performance or stability...well other than the removal of core parking and the prevention of downclocking under load. Also the adaptive vcore shouldn't be used while stressing as it can raise the vcore above what you've set. Beyond those things I haven't noticed any performance difference, I'm not saying you should enable power saving or w/e just sharing my experience.
Wow thanks for all the information. I have tried turning off Speed-step but when I do, my CPU falls down to 3.6ghz, regardless of my 3.9ghz overclock so I turned it back on. I also already have windows power settings set to high performance with 100% minimum CPU state. When I said "when I boot into windows" I just meant that in windows, it is always at 4.88 (regardless of load) which in practice is good, I would just prefer in with the full 4.9 ghz.

I'm starting to think that this is a Asus Prime issue. I had the Ryzen version of this board before (the x-470 Pro) and when I went to overclock my 2600 in there, I would set it at 3.9ghz and it wouldn't go past 3.72 (again, regardless of windows power settings or BIOS settings). I might try a MSI board down the line if it really gets to that.

Also, how do I go about changing the VRM to Full Phase Mode?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
TYS1999

Thanks for your input! I did try that. I have windows set to high performance and minimum CPU state at 100%
Old 01-31-2019, 12:33 PM
⤷ αC
AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about

It's because your BCLK isn't 100MHz. It's probably 99.8MHz or something less than 100MHz.

To have a flat 4.9GHz you need 49x multiplier with 100MHz otherwise you obtain 4890MHz or something similar.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Tags
asus prime z390-a , intel core i5 8600k , overclocking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in