Need input from someone smarter than me on new Z390i build. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need input from someone smarter than me on new Z390i build.

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
lottathought

Need input from someone smarter than me on new Z390i build.

I hope that I am posting in the correct location. Please forgive me if I am not.

This is the most frustrating build that I have ever done.

I think I am going to need the assist of some card carrying smart guys.

This may be a little long. I apologize for that. But I feel like I have tried just about everything and it can only help for you to know what I have done so far.

My build is...

GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi (New)

G-Skill 32GB DDR4 3000 Ram (New)

GTX 1050 Video Card (Very little use and pulled from prior PC)

I5-9600k Coffee Lake CPU (New)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Heatsync (Very little use and pulled from prior PC)

Cooler Master N200 Case (New)

Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 (New)

Seasonic 650Watt Power Supply (Pulled from prior PC)

On my first attempt at this build, I could not get the PC to do anything at all. I had no lights, no fan or any other response.

I pulled the ram, one stick at a time.

I reseated the video card and Crucial Hard Drive.....using the HDMI port on the motherboard.

I reseated the power connections and also all fan connections...confirming that they are all in the correct locations.

I pulled all of the connections to the board and used a new power switch that I have not yet installed on another PC.

I even bypassed all of the switches and jumpered the power pins with a screwdriver.

I bypassed the the UPS and even swapped out the power cable.

I pulled the heat-sync and re-seated the CPU.

I pulled the board out of the case entirely to see if it could be grounding somewhere that I could not see.

I jumpered the Power supply....even though it was working just hours before...to confirm that it would still spin up a fan. This it did.

Although I did prove that the power supply was good, nothing else that I did got the new build to respond in any way.

My conclusion was that the motherboard was bad and I ordered an RMA.

When I got the new board, I rebuilt the PC and started all over again.

This time it will power up. But I get nothing on the screen and PC will just go into boot loops.

So I started the process of isolating again.

I repeated all of the troubleshooting steps above.

And since I found it hard to believe that I got 2 bad motherboards in a row, I tried a few more steps to isolate.

I put taller risers on the board so that I could confirm that nothing on the bottom of the board was shorting out on the case.

I pulled an 850 watt Seasonic Power Supply from a working PC and confirmed that I was still getting the same problem.

I pulled some ram from another PC to confirm that I possibly did not get 2 bad sticks of ram even though they were new.

The ram that I tested with was Micron Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2666.

I pulled everything except the testing power supply, testing ram and HDMI cable to the monitor. I had the HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI input on the motherboard.

I had no fans beyond the CPU fan plugged in and no hard drive. I simply wanted to see if I could get to the bios and stop the boot loops.

This time, no matter what I did, I never got a picture on the monitor and the PC stayed in boot loops every 20-30 seconds.

I am left with the conclusion that either I got a 2nd bad motherboard....or possibly the new Intel i5 CPU is bad?

I have simply never heard of a CPU being bad out of the box and that is an expensive thing to re-buy as a test.

Am I missing something? How likely would you say that it is the CPU and not a 2nd bad motherboard?

Is there anything else that I can...or should be checking?

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
lottathought

I found the problem.
I had eliminated everything else...so I had to test the last thing I had not swapped out.
I borrowed an 8th gen CPU from another PC and tested it. The system fired right up.
I am one of the very few that appears to have gotten a bad CPU, Retail, New...right out of the box.

I do not know if I should just stay inside today to avoid meteors ...or there is going to be a higher fail rate with the 9th gen I5's....but that is where I am at.
I am going to go ahead and set up an RMA.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:53 AM
H₂O Aficionado
Slaughtahouse is an unknown quantity at this point Slaughtahouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I read through your entire OP, not knowing how this would turn out. As you're correct. A new CPU to be faulty... is quite rare. Even more so for an Intel as they don't have pins seated into the CPU.

Where did you order your CPU from? I saw on my Google feed a thread from Reddit where a user who had purchased ordered an AMD Zen CPU from Amazon. Before the user opened the box, they noticed it said Athlon or Phenom printed on the chip.

Wish I could find the thread for you... Anyways, my point is that possibly it was faulty. Or possibly the component you received was counterfeit.

Edit https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...and_ram_didnt/

-=]░▒▓███ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club ███▓▒░[=-

Stridsfordon 90
(20 items)
M1 Abrams
(18 items)
Asus G53
(0 items)
CPU
Intel 3930K
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
GTX 780 SC
RAM
Patriot Black Viper
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 SSD
Hard Drive
WD Black 7200 RPM
Power Supply
Corsair AX 850
Cooling
XSPC EX 360 Radiator
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Cooling
XSPC Titan/780 GPU Block
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 - Acetal
Cooling
XSPC D5 Pump
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
QNIX 27"
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Razer Death Adder 2013
Mousepad
Mouse Rug
Audio
Sennheiser HD 6XX
Audio
Bose Companion III's
CPU
i7 3930K
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
Geforce GTX 780 EVGA SC 3GB + XSPC Waterblock
RAM
Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 840 Series 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX850
Cooling
XIGMATEK Dark Knight II Night Hawk Edition
Cooling
XSPC 360mm radiator, Raystorm CPU block, D5 pump
Case
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green (Custom paint)
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
QNIX QX2710 27" 100hz
Monitor
Samsung 2233RZ 22" 120hz
Keyboard
Logitech g710+
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G
Mouse
Mouse Rug
Audio
Bose Companion III's Speakers
Audio
Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones
Audio
Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
lottathought

Quote: Originally Posted by Slaughtahouse View Post
I read through your entire OP, not knowing how this would turn out. As you're correct. A new CPU to be faulty... is quite rare. Even more so for an Intel as they don't have pins seated into the CPU.

Where did you order your CPU from? I saw on my Google feed a thread from Reddit where a user who had purchased ordered an AMD Zen CPU from Amazon. Before the user opened the box, they noticed it said Athlon or Phenom printed on the chip.

Wish I could find the thread for you... Anyways, my point is that possibly it was faulty. Or possibly the component you received was counterfeit.

Edit https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...and_ram_didnt/

That is an excellent question. I did buy the CPU on ebay. Having said that, the seller is not known for selling fakes.
This is the link from where I got the cpu from.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intel-C...72.m2749.l2649

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in