Why reinstall Windows on Platform change? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why reinstall Windows on Platform change?

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Conditioned Level 1

Why reinstall Windows on Platform change?

So I just upgraded to a 9600k (yihaa!) after quite a few years on my trusty 4790k. I wanted to see everything work first and just booted into Windows. Of course the old maxim is that you should reinstall Windows every time you swap motherboards. I fail to see why though. I also, after about 36 hours, can't see any reason. There is no lag, no performance issues, no stutter or anything else I detect that's wrong.

Why should one reinstall?

Ps. Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I felt it more appropriate here than in the Windows forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:13 AM
New to Overclock.net
knightriot Level 1

because windows suck

2950X +XSPC raystorm nero + EK PE 480 + XSPC 480 WHITE + XSPC D5 + Enthoo Primo
X399 Zenith Extreme + 32GB 4x 8 3200 cas16 +
2080TI +HEATKILLER IV 380W + DELL UP316Q + Onkyo SE-U55sX + FSP 1KW
sm961 1tb + Intel 600P 1TB +Crucial MX300 750GB + WD BLACK 2TB
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Kill Confirmed
speed_demon Level 1

It's best to reinstall with such a significant change though, really.

Windows is a tricky beast and it's only a few minutes of your time to do things the right way.

Also, long live the 4790k! Woo!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Conditioned Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by knightriot View Post
because windows suck
Yea, but I like to game so. Otherwise, Ubuntu+infinality is so nice to use if you write a lot, which I do. Alas.

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
It's best to reinstall with such a significant change though, really.

Windows is a tricky beast and it's only a few minutes of your time to do things the right way.

Also, long live the 4790k! Woo!
Long live 4790k! I will forever cherish our moments together! But a few minutes? When I reinstall it takes a day until my system is the way I like it. Sure, install ~20 minutes. Updates ~2-3 hours. Configuring, basic~2 hours, full a week or so .

Unless you talk about the win 10, is it called refresh? I don't use windows 10 cause malware.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:51 AM
New to Overclock.net
knightriot Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Conditioned View Post
Yea, but I like to game so. Otherwise, Ubuntu+infinality is so nice to use if you write a lot, which I do. Alas.

Long live 4790k! I will forever cherish our moments together! But a few minutes? When I reinstall it takes a day until my system is the way I like it. Sure, install ~20 minutes. Updates ~2-3 hours. Configuring, basic~2 hours, full a week or so .

Unless you talk about the win 10, is it called refresh? I don't use windows 10 cause malware.
May be drivers problems ,you can try use driver booster free to remove all of them like image(but care when setup, don't click to install ads):

But i still suggest you reinstall fresh windows for best performance.

2950X +XSPC raystorm nero + EK PE 480 + XSPC 480 WHITE + XSPC D5 + Enthoo Primo
X399 Zenith Extreme + 32GB 4x 8 3200 cas16 +
2080TI +HEATKILLER IV 380W + DELL UP316Q + Onkyo SE-U55sX + FSP 1KW
sm961 1tb + Intel 600P 1TB +Crucial MX300 750GB + WD BLACK 2TB
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 AM
professional curmudgeon
looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Conditioned View Post
So I just upgraded to a 9600k (yihaa!) after quite a few years on my trusty 4790k. I wanted to see everything work first and just booted into Windows. Of course the old maxim is that you should reinstall Windows every time you swap motherboards. I fail to see why though. I also, after about 36 hours, can't see any reason. There is no lag, no performance issues, no stutter or anything else I detect that's wrong.

Why should one reinstall?

Ps. Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I felt it more appropriate here than in the Windows forums.
i don't know anymore. years ago i was adamant about clean installs every 6 months.

but about a year ago i had to trouble shoot my rig and swapping in a junk h61 made UEFI booting a no-go so a clean install of windows 7 in legacy mode i go.

after a few months of swapping out what spare components i had, psu, cpu, ram and gpu i swapped the mobo back and then after a week upgraded to W10. that was a good 8-9 months ago and haven't really felt the need to clean install in UEFI mode. my rig runs 24/7 so boot shutdown is not a concern for me.

i feel so dirty.

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
"The more you buy, the more you save." - Jensen Huang GTC 2018
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

It only matters if Windows doesn't reconfigure it's self for the new platform like new chipset drivers, clearing the old ones from the reg, new USB configuration etc.

Every OS (especially Windows) is susceptible to malware. Only idiots install crap like that anyway, it's very difficult to just get malware without doing it yourself.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Conditioned Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
i don't know anymore. years ago i was adamant about clean installs every 6 months.

but about a year ago i had to trouble shoot my rig and swapping in a junk h61 made UEFI booting a no-go so a clean install of windows 7 in legacy mode i go.

after a few months of swapping out what spare components i had, psu, cpu, ram and gpu i swapped the mobo back and then after a week upgraded to W10. that was a good 8-9 months ago and haven't really felt the need to clean install in UEFI mode. my rig runs 24/7 so boot shutdown is not a concern for me.

i feel so dirty.
Windows 8.1 and 10 are not prone to loose performance as Windows 7 was as the install ages. I'm running 8.1. Very underrated Os imho once you swap out the start menu.

My system is running as I want it to so all drives relevant to me work. I usually disable the chipset in Device manager and have for the last ~10 years. Everything it needs to run it runs from the bios. Haven't installed the ME/Inf drivers either, they are simply not needed.

Anyways, you seem to confirm my suspicions that it's not really need to reinstall. Thanks!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:43 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli
The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about

4690K to 6400/6700 to 9900K on one install and was fine for me, ended up being a benchmark for HWBOT that "broke" my install and I decided to reinstall.

I'm getting random hangs (they're so infrequent it's hard to figure out what it's from) occasionally where I never used to so technically it's running worse

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.47%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
GeIL 16GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Phanteks P400S Glacier White
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50
Audio
FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Retired Staff
JedixJarf is on a distinguished road JedixJarf is on a distinguished road JedixJarf is on a distinguished road JedixJarf is on a distinguished road

Well back in the day it was driver and pch related, now though with win 10 it's much less of an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in