Z370 vs. 9900K Thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Z370 vs. 9900K Thread

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 8)
Z370 vs. 9900K Thread

A little over a month ago I made a video about my experience on using a 9900K in a Z370. More specifically I used my Gaming 7 as it has a very good 8+2 VRM.

The poor design of the VRM heatsink made the VRM want to boil water. I got around this by modding some old Heatkiller VRM blocks that I got on clearance ~$20 IIRC, then placed them on my board. The temps were a lot better. I did notice a couple other issues. I wasn't to happy using Prime95 and it seems like a lot of people have moved away from that or use it with AVX disabled.

I did have to restart some of my stress tests as all of my Gigabyte temp sensors would wig out and show all the same readings. Never found out why. I also came back to Prime95 and had my system power off as soon as I started a test a couple of the times I started it. I haven't touched Prime95 since.

I haven't had any issues with the system and it is running stable at 5Ghz @ 1.29v and no AVX offset. I stress tested it w/ multiple 4 hour runs of Realbench. I had some good runs at 1.285, though I would get an error on occasion.

I am curious what others have experienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 377 (Unique: 269)
Quote: Originally Posted by Solarity View Post
A little over a month ago I made a video about my experience on using a 9900K in a Z370. More specifically I used my Gaming 7 as it has a very good 8+2 VRM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM2zygWQN2M

The poor design of the VRM heatsink made the VRM want to boil water. I got around this by modding some old Heatkiller VRM blocks that I got on clearance ~$20 IIRC, then placed them on my board. The temps were a lot better. I did notice a couple other issues. I wasn't to happy using Prime95 and it seems like a lot of people have moved away from that or use it with AVX disabled.

I did have to restart some of my stress tests as all of my Gigabyte temp sensors would wig out and show all the same readings. Never found out why. I also came back to Prime95 and had my system power off as soon as I started a test a couple of the times I started it. I haven't touched Prime95 since.

I haven't had any issues with the system and it is running stable at 5Ghz @ 1.29v and no AVX offset. I stress tested it w/ multiple 4 hour runs of Realbench. I had some good runs at 1.285, though I would get an error on occasion.

I am curious what others have experienced.
System powers off because you didn't increase CPU Vcore/current protection. Prime will exceed base defaults.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:49 PM
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
I currently have my Z370 Auros Gaming 7 paired with my 9900k @ 5.0ghz (requires 1.38v yuk!) and have also noticed the VRM on this board gets aggressively hot if the CPU is absolutely pinned for 15-20+ mins and will eventually start downclocking due to VRM temps 100c+. Normal use this is never an issue and I will typically see 70-80c on the VRM near the CPU using my laser thermometer. What's weird is that I have never heard the internal VRM fan spin up and supposedly it's relatively loud what with it being so small and having high RPM.

I have considered adding an additional fan downwards to blow onto the block/VRM but aesthetically it's just not gonna happen for me. Same goes for adding additional blocks to the VRM, I kinda like the way the heatsinks look now with the velocity block. I *may* go so far as to change out the thermal pads for some kryonaut or something similar, I have even contemplated getting or having a little 'vent' made to put on top of the rear fan (to be used as an intake) which would have baffles that divert the air towards the CPU/VRM instead of straight into the case thusly allowing for increased cooling in this area as well as not directly pushing against the air coming in from the top fans on the front radiator (and honestly even this is fine since the air gets sucked out by the top radiator relatively agressively).

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
Oh, I forgot to mention, any chance you could post your OC settings for this board/CPU? I can get photos of mine when I am home from work, its kind of a funky board to be using for the 9900k since a lot of features I hear other people talking about for OCing the chip seem to be Z390 exclusive or otherwise eluding me...

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
All the brands have gone for BLING instead of actually cooling stuff right. Personally I hate it. In the long run all these mobo's will die sooner too. I don't want to void my warranty yet by modding my new z370 mobo, but I really better add a fan or 2 just for the mobo.

My i5-9600k takes a lot of volts aswell, and runs really hot. Someone said it's the cache use in these when running P95 blend that really heats up something too much, and causes throttling, and/or errors.

These big companies love BLING, because then they don't have to sell products on facts or numbers, but pretty designs. And and quicker it wears out in 2-3-4 years, the more they sell.
That mod looks nice, I wish I wasn't a bit afraid of liquidcooling

Last edited by Kaltenbrunner; 02-10-2019 at 11:46 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post
All the brands have gone for BLING instead of actually cooling stuff right. Personally I hate it. In the long run all these mobo's will die sooner too. I don't want to void my warranty yet by modding my new z370 mobo, but I really better add a fan or 2 just for the mobo.

My i5-9600k takes a lot of volts aswell, and runs really hot. Someone said it's the cache use in these when running P95 blend that really heats up something too much, and causes throttling, and/or errors.

These big companies love BLING, because then they don't have to sell products on facts or numbers, but pretty designs. And and quicker it wears out in 2-3-4 years, the more they sell.
I think you're mixing things up. Firstly Blender is a real application that can run just as hard and hot as Blend with the same power draw.
Fitting all instructions in the cache (FFTs in place) is what generally makes p95 hot becasue the CPU is rarely stalling where as most other applications stall out waiting on instructions.

Not running fixed FFTs allows more ram use and runs cooler...that's Blend plus it's cycling through all the FFT sizes as it runs.
Throttling and errors aren't P95's fault. If a CPU is OC'd it's the users fault for using too much or not enough vcore or using a CPU that draws a lot of power through a smaller VRM.
If it's doing that on a stock CPU it's likely becasue the board is using MCE and allowing MORE than Intel's TDP (95w) or becasue Intel has been upping the stock OC on 14nm for the last few years. A crappy cooler could also be a problem.
What's funny is that you have to exceed Intel's TDP to get the advertised boost specs, if you keep it with in the 95w range it will likely boost to around 4.4ghz and run pretty cool using p95.
None of this is P95's fault IMO, it's just an application running instructions. It's the CPU/board/users fault if it can't run ANY instruction that's passed through it. Anything past TDP and Intel's clock table is an overclock, boards typically allow MCE (single core turbo across all cores) and over current by default.

FWIW boards have better VRMs than they've ever had before. Look at the Phantom 6 and 9's VRM and the cost of the board! That's a heck of a deal especially on the 6 (though the 9 is a better board). Look at all the features a modern board comes with! Imagine the work it would take to integrate all that crap at such a low price point.

I hate all the garbage RGB plus the software and ugly shrouds but it's what the average consumer wants. No idea why but they really wan their PC to look like a riced out Civic complete with underglow and body kits. But in spite of that I appreciate all the work that goes into making a cutting edge VRM with Wi-Fi, 10Gb LAN, USB-C, lots of SATA and M.2, strong PCIE slots, fan headers everywhere, thunderbolt, a quality soundcard and so on and so on.

Boards today are awesome for people to EXPECT it to OC using MCE to force turbo and bypassing TDP by default and then to take it even further on their own. Many users complained when they were putting 8700k's on the cheapest board they could get and having limited OC potential. IMO all these problems are the users fault which they agreed to when they bought an unlocked CPU and an OC board. If the user doesn't know enough to get a board with a good VRM for overclocking that's totally on them. It's only Intel's or the board's fault when it fails to meet stock specs.

Hell look what the OP was able to do, 5ghz on an 8c/16t CPU using a mid-low end 8 phase VRM made for a 6c/12t CPU tops. My 4790k board was mid-range with 8 phases lol.

OP, if you're getting errors it's not stable, period. Especially on something as easy to run as RealBench. You need more vcore or lower speed, ignoring errors could (likely will) lead to crashes or data corruption. Could also be related to other things such as XMP or auto cache settings but I'm assuming you're following the typical OC guidelines.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post

That mod looks nice, I wish I wasn't a bit afraid of liquidcooling
I think boards are better overall, though with the Z370 Gigabyte did have a crappy VRM cooler for the Gaming 7. The X470 Gaming 7 has a really nice VRM cooler and the Z390 Master has a very good cooler as well, though it looks like they let marketing have a little say compared to the X470 Gaming 7.

Quote: Originally Posted by anticommon View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention, any chance you could post your OC settings for this board/CPU? I can get photos of mine when I am home from work, its kind of a funky board to be using for the 9900k since a lot of features I hear other people talking about for OCing the chip seem to be Z390 exclusive or otherwise eluding me...
I think it was pretty standard OC:
1) C-states disabled
2) LLC = Turbo
3) Vcore = 1.29v
4) Frequency = 5000Mhz
5) XMP = Enabled
6) iGPU = Disabled
7) Uncore = (Will need to double check, I think it is at 47.

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I think you're mixing things up. Firstly Blender is a real application that can run just as hard and hot as Blend with the same power draw.
Fitting all instructions in the cache (FFTs in place) is what generally makes p95 hot becasue the CPU is rarely stalling where as most other applications stall out waiting on instructions.

Not running fixed FFTs allows more ram use and runs cooler...that's Blend plus it's cycling through all the FFT sizes as it runs.
Throttling and errors aren't P95's fault. If a CPU is OC'd it's the users fault for using too much or not enough vcore or using a CPU that draws a lot of power through a smaller VRM.
If it's doing that on a stock CPU it's likely becasue the board is using MCE and allowing MORE than Intel's TDP (95w) or becasue Intel has been upping the stock OC on 14nm for the last few years. A crappy cooler could also be a problem.
What's funny is that you have to exceed Intel's TDP to get the advertised boost specs, if you keep it with in the 95w range it will likely boost to around 4.4ghz and run pretty cool using p95.
None of this is P95's fault IMO, it's just an application running instructions. It's the CPU/board/users fault if it can't run ANY instruction that's passed through it. Anything past TDP and Intel's clock table is an overclock, boards typically allow MCE (single core turbo across all cores) and over current by default.

FWIW boards have better VRMs than they've ever had before. Look at the Phantom 6 and 9's VRM and the cost of the board! That's a heck of a deal especially on the 6 (though the 9 is a better board). Look at all the features a modern board comes with! Imagine the work it would take to integrate all that crap at such a low price point.

I hate all the garbage RGB plus the software and ugly shrouds but it's what the average consumer wants. No idea why but they really wan their PC to look like a riced out Civic complete with underglow and body kits. But in spite of that I appreciate all the work that goes into making a cutting edge VRM with Wi-Fi, 10Gb LAN, USB-C, lots of SATA and M.2, strong PCIE slots, fan headers everywhere, thunderbolt, a quality soundcard and so on and so on.

Boards today are awesome for people to EXPECT it to OC using MCE to force turbo and bypassing TDP by default and then to take it even further on their own. Many users complained when they were putting 8700k's on the cheapest board they could get and having limited OC potential. IMO all these problems are the users fault which they agreed to when they bought an unlocked CPU and an OC board. If the user doesn't know enough to get a board with a good VRM for overclocking that's totally on them. It's only Intel's or the board's fault when it fails to meet stock specs.

Hell look what the OP was able to do, 5ghz on an 8c/16t CPU using a mid-low end 8 phase VRM made for a 6c/12t CPU tops. My 4790k board was mid-range with 8 phases lol.

OP, if you're getting errors it's not stable, period. Especially on something as easy to run as RealBench. You need more vcore or lower speed, ignoring errors could (likely will) lead to crashes or data corruption. Could also be related to other things such as XMP or auto cache settings but I'm assuming you're following the typical OC guidelines.

The Z370 Gaming 7, is far from mid-low end. It is one of the best boards for Z370 VRM wise. It has 60A power stages, granted it only has 8 phases, though the power stages are some of the best that are put on boards: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...6ZKQEwvQ%3D%3D

There are many other important factors other than phase count that contributes to a good VRM. While the G7 has only 8 phases, they are 60A and more efficient than the 12x 40A power stages the Gigabyte Z390 Master has. The Z390 Master does have far superior cooling for the VRM, compared to what the put on the Gaming 7. The combined power stages for both boards are rated at 480A.

I did this more out of curiosity than anything else, plus I got the 9900K for a great price and sold my old 8600K for $200. I originally got a great deal on a MB/CPU combo that I told my self I would just hold out for the next gen CPU, instead of spending a lot more on the 8700K at the time. It was worth the wait IMHO.

Lastly as I said in the OP that it was mostly stable at 1.285, though I would rarely get an error during stress testing. When I set it to 1.29 I never got an error in stress tests.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Would a Z370 Maximus X Hero be enough to hold a 9900k at 5.0Ghz? The VRM I mean?

My gaming rig
(12 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Hero
GPU
MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3600Mhz CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Case
Corsair 275R Tempered Glass
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 110
Mouse
Razer Goliathus Control V2
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Sure there are other things that make up a VRM those same things make the Gigabyte VRM as good as that on the Prime which is a mid range board. There is also more to it than potential for current draw. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not a high end VRM. In my original context it was a complement. The Taichi had a mid-high end VRM on a more mid range board.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ViTosS View Post
Would a Z370 Maximus X Hero be enough to hold a 9900k at 5.0Ghz? The VRM I mean?
I would check to see what others have done with the Maximus, I think some people have done it. It won't be easy and I won't recommend anyone buy one for a 9900K, unless they already have one. Same goes with any Z370 board. With the high heat issues I have seen, I would suggest a monoblock or VRM blocks like I have for my board. Though for the cost of a monoblock, it make sense to just upgrade the motherboard and sell the old Maximus. I was able to score the VRM blocks for $19 from FCPU locally. It also require some modification, which may or may not be possible for your board.

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Sure there are other things that make up a VRM those same things make the Gigabyte VRM as good as that on the Prime which is a mid range board. There is also more to it than potential for current draw. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not a high end VRM. In my original context it was a complement. The Taichi had a mid-high end VRM on a more mid range board.
Are you sure you aren't thinking about Gaming 5? VRM wise? The Gaming 7 is better than the Formula, Code, and Hero. The Gaming 5 and Prime A have similar VRMs, though the Gaming 7 is in a different league than those two.

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/...lineup-WIP.png

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in