Will it work? Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Gaming x299 broken...? Failed USPS shipment - improper packaging, dropped many times from high up, delamination, etc.. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Will it work? Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Gaming x299 broken...? Failed USPS shipment - improper packaging, dropped many times from high up, delamination, etc..

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Will it work? Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Gaming x299 broken...? Failed USPS shipment - improper packaging, dropped many times from high up, delamination, etc..

I made a purchase on eBay for a used, but working and all parts included ( didn't specify not included ) 7820X and X299 AORUS x299 Ultra Gaming board... Apparently which has excellent reviews..

The guy didn't package it properly. A single layer of foam across the x and y only wrapped once. Then some foam on top and underneath. No motherboard box, and the processor was included and in the socket.

The box, when received, had gaping holes in it, and had been dropped on almost every corner that mattered at least once from very high locations.

Upon unpacking, I saw the board had delaminated on the corner. I even made a video of the unpacking simply because of how bad the box looked.

You can see the images, and the unboxing video here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ahm6Xy7XNsPH4QeFAFIRLKaoMorp

My question: Will it work? I'm guessing 70:30 that it will simply because the delamination occurred on a corner with a mounting hole and not where more electronics is.

And: Would you use it?

I'm still looking for memory and a cooler before I can test, but now it is urgent so either I buy a set on Newegg which I'd rather not because I don't agree with having to pay tax for online sales ( Amazon doesn't charge, but Newegg does... eBay does for some -- Amazon doesn't have the memory ). Although since it is around $500 after tax I'd be willing to pay that for something else or less for used same.

I sent a message to the person who sold it to me, scolding them for not properly packing it as everyone should know that things get thrown around a lot... Also, with the price of shipping it better be insured - otherwise it'd be on him if it didn't work.

And second: The auction didn't say that anything was missing... I wasn't terribly upset about the lack of boxes, but a motherboard box would've been nice and would've protected the board. But everything for the board is missing.. The 6g sata cables x4 isn't a huge deal, but all of my sata cables are old so I would've liked them. The lack of SLI sucks, and other important connectors are missing. Also, the m.2 screw kit is missing which is something I need. As for the disc and manuals - while they are nice to have since I like to keep everything original / boxes and all just in case... they aren't necessary since I already downloaded the latest everything online.

Anyways.. I worked out a deal on this forum to buy an 8700k 5.0 overclockable at 1.28vcore with 120mm or 140 AiO, and motherboard for around the same price as I paid for this... Just over $500.. So if everything was sent properly, it would've been a pretty good deal.. The board itself has a lot of features which is nice and more than 1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 port ( 4x A and 1x C and 4x gen 1.. plus headers for each )... Anyways - that deal fell through because they left town, refunded me without explanation and it took days to get it and I was willing to wait but they never responded with when they'll be expected back so I moved on this..

I'm just so disappointed when people don't include everything in an auction and then don't realize that an expensive board / sale requires CARE when packaging.. Not just Foam thrown on top of something without taking care to protect the corners or even providing a box big enough to fit the item with proper amount of packing material....

Also, no ESD metalic sleeve - this means if any liquid gets in or whatever, there'd be more damage... I have yet to test the foam if it is ESD safe, but the corner is what is bothering me at the moment.

If it works, great - but how long can it be expected to work? That's another topic.. Because the damage is enough to delaminate the corner, it means shockwaves went through the entire board which could've damaged more. And, because the processor is in the socket - could that have been damaged? I have yet to check..

I'm curious about your opinions...

70:30 to it working, but for how long? Will that kind of damage, even if it didn't initially damage something to the point of not working, have damaged the solder joints the point where they'll give-way very easily? Or what?

Thanks!

Edit: Turns out the M.2 screws are actually there... I didn't see them before for some reason - probably got tunnel vision after seeing the damage. But, they are there, which is excellent to have ( but sli, etc.. still missing ).

Last edited by Acecool; 02-23-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:34 AM
Hardware Princess

Rep: 31 (Unique: 26)
Wow, that sucks. I would file a claim with USPS, IMO they are the primary culprits here. The seller could have wrapped it better on the sides, look like the side to side movement caused the chip in the corner. They also should have sent the accessories, unless the listing listed that no accessories are included. Though I could see that being somewhat of a gray area if no accessories were pictured. I don't know why someone would sell a motherboard without the accessories, what are they going to do with them anyway?

Check the original seller photos to verify the chip in the corner wasn't there before - send the before and after photos to USPS - it's definitely on them then.

Based on the damage, I think it would still work. It's worth giving it a test.

CHILLER DESTRUCTION
Build Log - White Voodoo
Z390 Station
(11 items)
White Voodoo
(15 items)
CPU
9900K @ 5.4 1.50v
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Titan RTX 2085/8500
RAM
Trident Z 3200c14 @ 4133c16 1.5v
Hard Drive
970 Evo Plus 250gb
Power Supply
silverstone 1200 from 2008 (other one exploded)
Cooling
HWLabs GTX 360 Rad (in RED)
Cooling
3x EK Vader 120mm 2200rpm Fans
Case
Dimastech Test Bench
Monitor
AOC Agon AG251FZ 240Hz
Audio
Built-in Monitor Speakers (3 watt)
CPU
7980XE @ 4.3 GHz 1.10v
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
2 x Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 Ti @ 2037/6318
RAM
Trident Z 16gb 3200c14 @ 3800c16 1.50V (the other two sticks were sacrificed)
Hard Drive
960 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1600 T2
Cooling
HWLabs GTR 420+280 Rads
Cooling
7 x Noctua Industrial 140mm 3000 RPM Fans
Cooling
EK D5 Pump/Res (with RGB!)
Case
LD Cooling PC-V7
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSB
Monitor
NEC PA271W
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Mouse
Logitech M510
Mousepad
anime tiddy mousepad
CPU
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz
RAM
48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066
Hard Drive
120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD
Hard Drive
2 TB Western Digital Green
Hard Drive
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM
Power Supply
650W Delta PSU
Case
1U Rackmount
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

They are mostly stock images. The 1 image which shows the board shows it installed and in-use with AiO and the corner which was damaged is blocked by one of the hoses so it could be that it was damaged before, but who knows. I'll wait on a response from the guy.

I'm looking to buy memory and heatsink or AiO in order to test ASAP.

One bad thing is that USPS only offers insurance up to a maximum of $500 and for the amount I paid for shipping ( actually, everything together was just under $600, not just over $500 ) which was $13.70 - I can usually send something on any of my accounts with any shipper without insurance for $8.70 ish, so $5 would sound right for around 600 worth of insurance....

I do hope it works because it is a good deal overall as an intermediary build, but with a damaged board - that reduces the lifespan / resale value substantially if it does works ( The shock would've likely weakened solder-joints, etc.. too ). I know I wouldn't buy a damaged board unless it was absolutely necessary and it was at least 60% less than non-damaged used boards of the same kind ( approx ) and guaranteed working, but I'd still be very cautious.

I am definitely going to start a claim but I am also waiting to see what he says. As for the stuff that is missing:

Box Contents
+ X299 AORUS Ultra Gaming motherboard -- This was included, but damaged
+ Motherboard driver disk -- I downloaded all of the drivers prior to arrival, so these aren't necessary unless it helps with m.2 nvme initial setup...
+ User's Manual -- This would be useful when setting it up in the case for the headers so I don't need another computer running, etc... But not necessary..
+ Quick Installation Guide -- A sheet which tells you about all the important pin-outs.. yeah, this would be better than the manual..
+ Four SATA cables -- These are important because all of my sata cables are pretty old so having a new set guaranteed at 6g would be helpful..
+ I/O Shield -- This was included
+ One GC-SLI2P bridge connector -- This is important
+ One G Connector -- This makes it easy to plug in all of the front I/O for power led, power button, hard-drive activity led, reset button into a single connector ( unique to the motherboard )... This is very important for me with a broken neck, back and severe nerve damage.
+ One RGB (RGBW) LED strip extension cable -- I could care less about RGB so I don't care about the extension cable, but it could've been used in case I ever changed my mind.
+ Two thermistor cables -- These are important for the function of the motherboard because they measure temperatures for various areas - I'm not sure of the consequences of not having them for this board... You'd think most of the sensors are onboard, but these probably help give a more accurate reading for ambient temperature and cpu temp, or something along those lines.. I'd have to check the manual about them specifically.
+ One M.2 screw kit -- Useful, luckily included...

Nothing about optional options was listed in the auction, so I can't expect any of those items to be included - so I'm only showing the box contents - what is expected...

The auction didn't say anything about any items missing despite there being an option to list that. Instead, only USED option was selected with every part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 92 (Unique: 67)
Hi,
Ebay has a very good return/ refund policy why mess with an obvious damaged board.

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Because, the entire setup is the lowest price I've been able to find for X299 so far..

I was going to go with an 8700k from someone on this forum and I paid him. But he went out of town and refunded me with no explanation until days later. I said that I understood why he would refund but had he communicated with me how long it would take, there'd be no problem ( I have half a mind to leave a negative or neutral review ) but he still has yet to give me a straight answer about when he'll be back in town and I wanted to get this build finished ASAP. I am on a 10+ year old machine with 8gb ddr2 400 ( for some reason the 800mhz profile doesn't work despite all chips rated for it ) running a QX9650 at 3.3 - was running a Q6600 at 3.0 for 10 years but it didn't have SSE 4.1 ( and AC Odyssey and Origins required it - turns out UPlay lied about the requirements and it needs 4.2 and AVX too ) so I got the QX9650 because it was $230 less than the 9750 or 9770 and showed as much overclocking potential - although I can get it to 3.3 and no higher, and I can't even change the multiplier by 1 to do it... very strange...

Anyway, had this individual taken the package with him as he left to go out of town ( gotta take out of town bag, clothes, etc.. anyway ) then he could've dropped it on the way... Or when he had a spare day ( sick relative ).. I am understandable, and he does have access to the forum, and was in contact until I asked him to give me an estimate of when he'd he be back... then nothing... I do hope his relative is ok, and I would've been fine waiting the few weeks, but no contact is meh.. He did refund me immediately too which is strange so it could be he got an offer from someone else, or something like that... You can never really tell which is my reasoning behind the possible rating... I'd probably just do neutral, though, instead of negative because he did refund me instantly and was in contact for a few days after until he dropped off the face of the planet.. But we did make a deal and it was paid for which is why it is so disappointing and why I was considering a negative - although I'd likely only ever use that if I had to fight to get a refund if he never sent it but since he was so up-front about everything ( even though the excuse is terrible - If I had to go out of town urgently I would've grabbed the package to drop off on the way, or when I got a free day [ you have to sleep, eat, etc.. when visiting someone sick anyways ] to put it in the mail which is another reason I don't believe him 100% - and he did say it wasn't super serious so it's not a full-of-emotions-forget-type-deal... ).. But, whatever... I wouldn't have saved a lot on that computer anyway so meh...

Anyways, if it works I may just ask for loss of equity ( since no one is going to pay for a damaged board, and the lifespan will be significantly reduced because of the damage so if it works it is likely that a lot of solder joints are weakened ) in the claim and use the money to replace it when it dies... Or, if it is dead and the processor works, have the board replaced straight up. Although for just under $600 - the AORUS Ultra Gaming I can't find for anything but $500 to $900 and the 7820x is on Walmart for $500 and newegg or so for $800 to $900... So...

I really wish the board wasn't damaged but it wasn't packaged properly either because of being too naive by thinking that a delicate expensive board would make it through any shipper without any protection or it was damaged and wanted to make it appear as though the shipper damaged it - but since the photo shows it running and the damaged area is covered there is no way to confirm it - but if there was and it was previously damaged, it'd be fraud on multiple counts ( insurance through USPS, and selling an item without disclosing that it was damaged ).. I really don't like assuming the worst, or making assumptions, but you have to consider all possibilities...

I did pay the large amount for shipping so insurance should be set - if he didn't do insurance then that is also his problem.

Last edited by Acecool; 02-23-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in