Can only boot if I reset the cmos everytime after a new GPU install - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Can only boot if I reset the cmos everytime after a new GPU install

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 77)
Can only boot if I reset the cmos everytime after a new GPU install

Ain't been on here or in the PC scene the last few years. I've got an old Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz cpu @ 3.0Ghz OC on an Abit IP35-E motherboard 775 plus a ATI 3850HD 512MB which recently died so I went and got a old 7800GT to bung in it for awhile, did the trick but now I have just bought and installed a new AMD R7 250 2GB.

However when I booted the first time, nothing happened, turned on but black screen (no signal) so I reset the CMOS and it booted with defaults logged into windows 7 installed drivers etc.. Then rebooted and then nothing again just black screen (although I suspect that behind the scenes, the pc may be booting and running in to windows just fine, I just cannot see it)

I can only boot when I reset the CMOS by removing the battery everytime, once only, and cannot log in a second time. I have tried going into the bios(when its CMOS reseted) and just changing the date from 2007 to 2019 and hit save and exit but it won't boot again just black screen. However when I just hit exit and don't change a setting it will boot again. But once it gets into windows its all fine and then I shutdown it won't boot a second time.

So its like the bios can only run this GPU if its in default settings for the bios and that also implies my pc/windwos is editing the bios as it boots once but cannot a second time , so I guess its changing a setting in the bios automatically during the first boot and thats why I need to keep cmos reseting, although I don't know why i need to do this anyway? Really confused as to whats happened? Is my GPU not compatible? Is there a setting I need to do?

Thanks

Last edited by OCZedd; 02-26-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Can it boot normally again w/ the 7800GT ? Maybe the pins on the R7 are not fully compatible anymore ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in