HELP! 6700k Z170 posts to BIOS, hard RESET when trying to boot USB/WIN - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

HELP! 6700k Z170 posts to BIOS, hard RESET when trying to boot USB/WIN

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 28 (Unique: 25)
HELP! 6700k Z170 posts to BIOS, hard RESET when trying to boot USB/WIN

Hello everyone, I have a stock 6700k with a GA-Z170X-ULTRA board running the latest BIOS 03/09/18. Scratching my head as to why this PC isn't even idling past the post screen, the PC goes into a hard reset every time unless I press one of the post options for boot/bios/system info etc. I'm thinking it's a memory issue (16GB DDR4 3200) but I'm not sure, before I got involved enough with the PC to install windows I had it sitting on my desk running to make sure the watercooling was fully bled and not leaking, yet now she is seemingly dead or dying. Thoughts? Suggestions? Have tried bios reset, different PSU, reseat RAM/CPU, trying separate ram sticks, unplugging all unnecessary devices etc. My next step is to try a bios reinstall or downgrade, but I would really rather not fully risk bricking the board.

If anyone has thoughts or suggestions for what to try short of buying a new mobo/cpu I would be so thankful.

I'm sailing away...
KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:35 PM
Beginner Overclocker

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by anticommon View Post
Hello everyone, I have a stock 6700k with a GA-Z170X-ULTRA board running the latest BIOS 03/09/18. Scratching my head as to why this PC isn't even idling past the post screen, the PC goes into a hard reset every time unless I press one of the post options for boot/bios/system info etc. I'm thinking it's a memory issue (16GB DDR4 3200) but I'm not sure, before I got involved enough with the PC to install windows I had it sitting on my desk running to make sure the watercooling was fully bled and not leaking, yet now she is seemingly dead or dying. Thoughts? Suggestions? Have tried bios reset, different PSU, reseat RAM/CPU, trying separate ram sticks, unplugging all unnecessary devices etc. My next step is to try a bios reinstall or downgrade, but I would really rather not fully risk bricking the board.

If anyone has thoughts or suggestions for what to try short of buying a new mobo/cpu I would be so thankful.
I would try setting your memory to 2133 which would be stock speed. Just to make sure you have reset the bios to optimized defaults right? If your cpu is running stock maybe trying giving it some more voltage than stock.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 28 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainCab21 View Post
I would try setting your memory to 2133 which would be stock speed. Just to make sure you have reset the bios to optimized defaults right? If your cpu is running stock maybe trying giving it some more voltage than stock.

Hey man, thanks for the suggestion. I had actually already tried that, I broke down and went ahead and updated the bios though and everything is working fine. Threw me for quite the loop haha, apparently the bios was corrupted just enough to not load windows but it did load the bios fine... hmm lol!

I'm sailing away...
KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Beginner Overclocker

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by anticommon View Post
Hey man, thanks for the suggestion. I had actually already tried that, I broke down and went ahead and updated the bios though and everything is working fine. Threw me for quite the loop haha, apparently the bios was corrupted just enough to not load windows but it did load the bios fine... hmm lol!
Strange glad to hear that you got it working!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in