More ThunderboltEX 3 Woes - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

More ThunderboltEX 3 Woes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
More ThunderboltEX 3 Woes

Hi all,

I finally got this card to be recognised by my Asus Maximum IX Hero (Z270) after following the comments in this thread https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...1638843?page=1.

The card is installed in my Asus Maximus IX Hero motherboard in the SB PCI Slot in the bottom PCIEX4_3 slot. I'm also using a 7700K that has 16 lanes if that matters.

My PCIE slots are configured as follows

PCIEX1_1 - USB3 Card
PCIEX16/8_1 - MS1 1080
PCEIEX1_2 - USB 3 Card
PCIEX8_2 - Empty. I tried the Thunderbolt EX3 in this slot using the NB PCI Slot option but the card hund the BIOS and I got a Q97 code and had to reset the BIOS.
PCIEX1_3 - Empty as its been disabled by the BIOS because if the PCIEX4_3 runs at X4 speed it disables this slot. Both slots can be active but the PCIEX4_3 will run at X2 speed.
PCIEX4_3 - Asus ThunderboltEX 3

The card shows up under the Thunderbolt software details tab and shows up under Device Manager as a System Device as 'Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1577'.

It doesn't populate the attached devices chain in the Thunderbolt software though.

The only problem is that it shows up as a hidden device with an error stating that is not connected to the computer.

When I use the Asus firmware adapter the card powers up and moves from a hidden state to an activate state in Device Manager > System Devices. The attached devices chain in the Thunderbolt software then updates with 'Thunderbolt Controller 1' with 'Port 1' and 'Port 2'.

Any ideas how to fix this?

It seems to be a power related issue as the card is recognised by Windows 10 x64 but doesn't power up to be able to be used.

I'm using the standard Asus software and drivers for this card and I've applied the Asus firmware update.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	5.61 MB
ID:	267740  

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	6.89 MB
ID:	267742  

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	267776  

Asus Maximus IX Hero & 7700K

Last edited by FriskyD; 05-02-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
You’re so close!!!
I gave up on this a while ago after two failed cards on an x99 deluxe ii, but here’s a shot out of nowhere... By chance, if you go to Windows Defender from the toolbar, click on ‘Device Performance & health, do you see a yellow exclamation point next to ‘Device Driver’? If so, click on it, let Windows try and correct the ‘conflict’, restart, and see if it works. For some strange reason, this fixed my issue in the past. Unfortunately, it only lasted a couple weeks until the card(s) would die completely.

First
(9 items)
CPU
Intel i7-6850K
Motherboard
Asus X99 Deluxe II
GPU
GTX 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i
Cooling
Corsair H115i
Case
Cooler Master Cosmos II
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
asus thunderbolt , asus thunderbolt ex3 , asus thunderboltex 3 , thunderbolt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in