Can a dead motherboard still power on? Troubleshooting a used motherboard - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Can a dead motherboard still power on? Troubleshooting a used motherboard

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...M.html?page=46

you could still see if the RAM is ok. if not try the memok button w/one stick in the furthest slot.

i have a z77 pro-v and it has a few more little red leds for, cpu, ram, gpu and sata. as soon as the sata led "flashes, it one beep/boots; they are helpful but i do always have a speaker.

E:
have you tried the second (white) x16 slot ?
The memok led wasn't giving me a failure indication in the first place, but I tried pressing it anyway and it just endlessly blinks which means it's trying to load optimized settings, but even if I leave it alone for minutes it still doesn't boot.

And yes I did try all three PCIe slots, and the memory shows up as working in another PC. It's not on the QVL list though, at this point I might just get some memory from the QVL because the board is behaving the same when I power on with no memory vs with this memory.

Also got a speaker, and it's not making any noise at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 791 (Unique: 451)
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRacker View Post
The memok led wasn't giving me a failure indication in the first place, but I tried pressing it anyway and it just endlessly blinks which means it's trying to load optimized settings, but even if I leave it alone for minutes it still doesn't boot.

And yes I did try all three PCIe slots, and the memory shows up as working in another PC. It's not on the QVL list though, at this point I might just get some memory from the QVL because the board is behaving the same when I power on with no memory vs with this memory.

Also got a speaker, and it's not making any noise at all.
granted i'm thinking of my z77 but i would suspect if it goes to the ram led then it passes the cpu check?

no beeps isn't a good sign (obviously) i would start looking at the bios as mentioned before - but you're locked out - so the bios chip.

btw, you have this bread boarded? seems you're knowledgeable/experienced that you would but thought i'd ask.

sorry my crystal ball is out to the shop ATM and not being much help.

E:
according to asus:
Quote:
2. Power Light is ON, "No beep" from speaker

Please check your CPU and memory are installed normally and no oxidation at connection part. If there is any oxidation, please try to wipe the oxidation part with an eraser. If it still cannot be turned on properly, please clean it with contact cleaner and re-install.

welp maybe forget most of what i said.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 06-12-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
granted i'm thinking of my z77 but i would suspect if it goes to the ram led then it passes the cpu check?

no beeps isn't a good sign (obviously) i would start looking at the bios as mentioned before - but you're locked out - so the bios chip.

btw, you have this bread boarded? seems you're knowledgeable/experienced that you would but thought i'd ask.

sorry my crystal ball is out to the shop ATM and not being much help.

E:
according to asus:

welp maybe forget most of what i said.
Double checked the socket and CPU, made sure they were absolutely pristine, not a spec of dust or slightly bent pin, didn't change anything :/ I ordered 2 $5 pentiums for testing, chances of getting 3 dead cpus is pretty low so that should help narrow things down. I don't want to give up on this board yet!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 31 (Unique: 22)
Get yourself some speakers - they're less than $1 and will speed up your problem solving no end!

Even though my board has numeric display I still find it useful

Ryzen 9 3900X | Current Bios - 2801 | Crosshair VII Hero | 16GB Patriot Steel 4400CL19 @ 3733CL14 | ADATA SX8200NP 480GB | Fractal Design S36 AIO

About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:17 AM
B10S TInk3r

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Next time your on ebay also order a $2-3 PCI 80h debug Post card. I know it wouldn't work here, but it's cheap and good thing to have for next time you are debugging.

Can you test that CPU on another board to confirm it works? Is the heatsink warming up at all if you leave it running (Disable fan to check if needed)?

Could be the 8GB memory, try to find a single 2GB stick to test with, this may be the sole/main issue. Pick up a 1GB or 2GB stick from a friend, neighbor, or somewhere in town cheap

Speaker is a must here with no debug card, if you get no beeps with no memory installed then there is a BIOS (messed up) or CPU (Faulty) issue. If you get a single beep with memory installed, then board is posting and you have a graphics issue.
Some old boards like this will not boot with modern graphics cards, some get better with BIOS updated, but since you don't even know what BIOS is on there your "Old R9" may be too new for this board.
Try some old video card, from the P67..... Hmmm.... I guess this would be your original 660 I didn't realize it was launched in 2012 until I looked it up, should be compatible (So BIOS corrupt, CPU faulty, or 8GB is the issue)
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRacker View Post
Ooh that does look promising, but it doesn't look like you can flash the bios without a display output, and I have none. P67 doesn't support onboard video, and I have one more GPU I can try to see if it makes a difference(my 2080).
No, having no display output would indeed make this difficult, haha ;P

Is the BIOS chip hot-swappable? I know this is the case on many boards. I know that hot-swapping the BIOS chip itself was possible on many Gigabyte boards.

However, I did some googling, and turns out many people have had similar difficulties with this board and a 2500k.
Example: https://hardforum.com/threads/need-h...ignal.1597043/
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by HelpDatBIOS View Post
Next time your on ebay also order a $2-3 PCI 80h debug Post card. I know it wouldn't work here, but it's cheap and good thing to have for next time you are debugging.

Can you test that CPU on another board to confirm it works? Is the heatsink warming up at all if you leave it running (Disable fan to check if needed)?

Could be the 8GB memory, try to find a single 2GB stick to test with, this may be the sole/main issue. Pick up a 1GB or 2GB stick from a friend, neighbor, or somewhere in town cheap

Speaker is a must here with no debug card, if you get no beeps with no memory installed then there is a BIOS (messed up) or CPU (Faulty) issue. If you get a single beep with memory installed, then board is posting and you have a graphics issue.
Some old boards like this will not boot with modern graphics cards, some get better with BIOS updated, but since you don't even know what BIOS is on there your "Old R9" may be too new for this board.
Try some old video card, from the P67..... Hmmm.... I guess this would be your original 660 I didn't realize it was launched in 2012 until I looked it up, should be compatible (So BIOS corrupt, CPU faulty, or 8GB is the issue)
I'm getting no beeps on power on with no memory installed, so looks like CPU or bios. I'll have more CPUs to test with monday, hopefully that's the issue. I'll also look around for a 1 or 2 gb stick. Also getting GTX 580s monday, another graphics card from the time period to try. Bios chip is replaceable, but that seems like a big hassle that I'd rather not get into. Can you even update it outside of the board? Or would I need another board for that? Thanks for the help!

And I only said it was my old R9 because I just replaced it, not because it's actually old haha.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by OleBM View Post
No, having no display output would indeed make this difficult, haha ;P

Is the BIOS chip hot-swappable? I know this is the case on many boards. I know that hot-swapping the BIOS chip itself was possible on many Gigabyte boards.

However, I did some googling, and turns out many people have had similar difficulties with this board and a 2500k.
Example: https://hardforum.com/threads/need-h...ignal.1597043/
It is hot swappable, but not sure where I'd find another with a current bios. Great find with that forum post though, but it is concerning. Going to try some pentiums and a 3570k in a few days.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok it powers on normally with a 3570K! Looks like it might be a dead 2500k. I'll flash a new bios and try the 2500k again.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 PM
B10S TInk3r

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Yes, BIOS can be redone without the board, if you have a $2.50 flash programmer (CH341A). Great to see you got it running finally! So was that with the 8GB memory module too?
Could be a dead 2500K, or maybe Intel ME FW Updated for Ivy (later/latest BIOS) and might not work with 2500K anymore due to this. You'd have to test the 2500K on another board to confirm if it's OK or not.

ON the R9, I meant it's too new, and might not work on this board, but yes, I was quoting how you said it was "Old" so I see what you mean now

Good to see the board is alive now at least!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in