Can a dead motherboard still power on? Troubleshooting a used motherboard - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Can a dead motherboard still power on? Troubleshooting a used motherboard

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Can a dead motherboard still power on? Troubleshooting a used motherboard

I decided to build a 2010-11 era gaming PC for the fun of it, just to relive the PC I couldn't afford when I build my first PC.

Anyway, I ordered an Asus P8P67-M PRO motherboard and a 2500k off of ebay used. You can still get DDR3 fairly cheap new on newegg so that's what I did. I have an older but working TX550M I just replaced out of my current PC. I'm using a working GTX 660 as the gpu for now to test the system as I'm still waiting for the GTX 580.

The motherboard arrived well packed and in great condition from a seller with lots of feedback. Socket pins all appeared to be fine. Board is spotless and dust free, not a single bent pin or header. CPU also looked fine, no scratches or anything on the pcb or contacts. I put everything together, shorted the power switch header, the CPU and 660 fans spin up, but I get no video output. I try one stick of ram, the other, try it in the other slots(ram is verified working in another PC), try a different video cable, try a different monitor, try my old R9 Fury, try the graphics cards in different PCIe slots, nothing works. Used the clear cmos jumper, still nothing. Removed the cmos battery for a few minutes, put it back in, still nothing. Mem OK button, still nothing.

Is this a dead motherboard? It still powers on every time, the power led on the board always comes on, fans and PCIe get power, is there anything else I could be missing? I don't think it's the CPU because those are much more robust and don't have much to break, but maybe? Should I recheck the LGA pins?

One thought I have is that it sill might be the memory, because the manual says it supports up to 4gb dimms, but it would support 8gb dimms when they came out, and I have a 2x8 kit, which also isn't on the QVL list of memory sticks in the manual, but it's G.Skill Ripjaws V which everyone and their mother was using so I really don't think it should be an issue. But I do have a 2x4 kit of Ripjaws V coming soon.

I've got cmos batteries coming in a few days, maybe a fresh one will fix it. I also have a 3570k and a Z77 motherboard coming in soon, so I can also cross check the CPUs with each motherboard that way(unless I somehow got two dead motherboards or CPUs).

Sidenote: This is why I only buy motherboards with a debug LED display.

Last edited by TheRacker; 06-12-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:36 AM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Not sure I'm afraid, but I can tell you the board should boot even with a flat cmos battery. You might get an error, but this in itself should not stop you from being able to boot.

Do you get any start-up beeps? They can be very helpful finding out what's wrong. Try booting with no GPU - it should cause an error and (I think 3 beeps meaning no VGA)

If you're getting zero beeps, then it could be CPU or dimms (maybe bios is not up to date?)

Sorry cn't be more helpful!

Ryzen 1700x Current Bios - 2406

About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
Amiga10
(18 items)
CPU
R7 1700X @ 4.13GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Raadeon RX 580 8GB Black Edition
RAM
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 CL19
Hard Drive
ADATA SX8200NP NVME
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632
Optical Drive
ASUS BW=16D1HT Blueray
Power Supply
Corsair RM 1000
Cooling
Fractal Design S36
Cooling
Gskill FTB-3500C5-DR Memory Fan Turbulence III 3500RPM
Cooling
2 x Riing 140mm
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Riing
Operating System
Windows 10 Creators Ed
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Keyboard
No brand cheap gaming!
Mouse
Microsoft Mobile Wireless Mouse 4000
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by crakej View Post
Not sure I'm afraid, but I can tell you the board should boot even with a flat cmos battery. You might get an error, but this in itself should not stop you from being able to boot.

Do you get any start-up beeps? They can be very helpful finding out what's wrong. Try booting with no GPU - it should cause an error and (I think 3 beeps meaning no VGA)

If you're getting zero beeps, then it could be CPU or dimms (maybe bios is not up to date?)

Sorry cn't be more helpful!
It doesn't have a speaker and the case I bought doesn't have one either. The only indication I get is the power LED that's on whenever a PSU is hooked up, and the fans that spin. I tried different DDR3 dimms from another PC, different brand, but still a 2x8 kit and that didn't change anything either.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: It also boots up in the same manner with no dimms in at all, just the cpu and graphics card. Fans spin up and stay spinning. So I don't know if that proves it can't see the ram in the first place or if it's hitting an error before getting to the ram. Maybe the memory controller on the CPU is bad?

Last edited by TheRacker; 06-12-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 AM
Computer Enthusiast

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRacker View Post
It doesn't have a speaker and the case I bought doesn't have one either. The only indication I get is the power LED that's on whenever a PSU is hooked up, and the fans that spin. I tried different DDR3 dimms from another PC, different brand, but still a 2x8 kit and that didn't change anything either.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: It also boots up in the same manner with no dimms in at all, just the cpu and graphics card. Fans spin up and stay spinning. So I don't know if that proves it can't see the ram in the first place or if it's hitting an error before getting to the ram. Maybe the memory controller on the CPU is bad?
Do you have a speaker on another PC you could use? It would tell you a lot!

I think at this point I'd be getting my DMM out to check voltages and other signals. Without another CPU or board to test the components on, it makes it much harder of course

Ryzen 1700x Current Bios - 2406

About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal
Amiga10
(18 items)
CPU
R7 1700X @ 4.13GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Raadeon RX 580 8GB Black Edition
RAM
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 CL19
Hard Drive
ADATA SX8200NP NVME
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632
Optical Drive
ASUS BW=16D1HT Blueray
Power Supply
Corsair RM 1000
Cooling
Fractal Design S36
Cooling
Gskill FTB-3500C5-DR Memory Fan Turbulence III 3500RPM
Cooling
2 x Riing 140mm
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Riing
Operating System
Windows 10 Creators Ed
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Monitor
Acer CB241HQK
Keyboard
No brand cheap gaming!
Mouse
Microsoft Mobile Wireless Mouse 4000
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by crakej View Post
Do you have a speaker on another PC you could use? It would tell you a lot!

I think at this point I'd be getting my DMM out to check voltages and other signals. Without another CPU or board to test the components on, it makes it much harder of course
I've got 3 cases in the house and none have speakers :/

But I do have another board and coming in a few days so hopefully that can tell me something.

Huh speakers are only $5, maybe I'll get one if my other parts can't help me diagnose it. But man I just want this thing to work the first time.

Second edit: 1155 pentiums are only $5-10, think I'll get one or two to use as a troubleshooting tool. No way I can get 3 dead CPUs in a row right?

Last edited by TheRacker; 06-12-2019 at 04:13 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:15 AM
Top kek

Rep: 110 (Unique: 65)
Dude, go the the nearest electronics store, a PC buzzer (speaker) costs like 2$. Why would you bother with ordering another board, AGAIN without any sound device for POST notifications.

POST sounds are LITERALLY the only way for a consumer to debug an issue with the system, if it fails to boot properly. Modern Motherboards have LED displays for error codes, but its only for high end models.

And you have several rigs, with no way to do this, if something goes kaput.

Previous Hardware:
Spoiler!
Desktop PC
(19 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8320
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ RX480
GPU
XFX RX470 Singlefan
GPU
MSI RX580 GamingX 4GB
RAM
Mushkin Redline 996996 2x4GB 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS
Hard Drive
WesternDigital Blue 500GB 7200RPM 16MB
Power Supply
Corsair TX850M
Cooling
ThermalTake Frio Silent 14
Case
ThermalTake View 27
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 1607
Operating System
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Monitor
AOC i2267FWH
Keyboard
Logitech K120
Mouse
Bloody V5
Audio
Corsair HS30 Raptor
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post
Dude, go the the nearest electronics store, a PC buzzer (speaker) costs like 2$. Why would you bother with ordering another board, AGAIN without any sound device for POST notifications.

POST sounds are LITERALLY the only way for a consumer to debug an issue with the system, if it fails to boot properly. Modern Motherboards have LED displays for error codes, but its only for high end models.

And you have several rigs, with no way to do this, if something goes kaput.
I ordered the other board and CPU before this one even arrived for another project. It's just convenient they are both 1155 so I figured I could cross check them with each other. And I'll have to check, but I would be surprised if there was a PC or electronics specialty shop in my city, Best Buy is the closest I've seen.

Edit: There is a PC shop in town, I'll call them and see if they have speakers for sale.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Might be a BIOS-issue. I see on the support-site for this motherboard that they updated the BIOS due to a VGA compatibility issue.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8...HelpDesk_BIOS/
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by OleBM View Post
Might be a BIOS-issue. I see on the support-site for this motherboard that they updated the BIOS due to a VGA compatibility issue.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8...HelpDesk_BIOS/
Ooh that does look promising, but it doesn't look like you can flash the bios without a display output, and I have none. P67 doesn't support onboard video, and I have one more GPU I can try to see if it makes a difference(my 2080).

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 776 (Unique: 446)
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...M.html?page=46

you could still see if the RAM is ok. if not try the memok button w/one stick in the furthest slot.

i have a z77 pro-v and it has a few more little red leds for, cpu, ram, gpu and sata. as soon as the sata led "flashes, it one beep/boots; they are helpful but i do always have a speaker.

E:
have you tried the second (white) x16 slot ?

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 06-12-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in