Troubleshooting help b6 bios error code. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Troubleshooting help b6 bios error code.

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Troubleshooting help b6 bios error code.

Like the title says my issue is the elusive b6 bios code, about 7 hours prior to this post my pc suddenly seized up while in the middle of a game. My cursor became sluggish (if you ever played a game with heavy mouse smoothing it felt similar to that.) and nothing I clicked on was responsive, I attempted to ctrl-alt-delete thinking it was the game causing the issue but even that refused to work only giving me a "preparing security options" screen. Something odd about the whole ordeal was a stream I had running in the background continued to play without issue, I didn't stick around to see if it fix itself though and quicky did a hard shutdown.

Upon rebooting though i was given the b6 error and my pc refused to boot past post, I'd also later figure out through my troubleshooting that my dram LED light was a solid red every time I attempted to boot.

I started by looking in the manual to figure out that the b6 code meant "clean up of nvram", taking to google I found that this non descript code had either something to do with my dimm or cmos. I chose start with my ram by removing each individual piece and trying them one by one, unfortunately they all came back with the b6 error. Something to note is my mother board according to it's manual only allows single ram configurations to be slotted in a specific slot, trying others results in several beeps by the speaker and a new error code which the manual indicates means no ram has been detected.

With the above not working I moved on to the cmos, first I attempted to use the jumpers to reset it but was still met with the b6 code. I also tried removing the battery for several minutes and even replacing but got the same results.

Lastly I tried using my motherboards momOK feature which I had initially skipped over since it seemed aimed at compatibly issues, unfortunately it didn't do anything and the b6 error as well as the solid light persisted.

I'm at the ends of my wit now, there really isn't much information about this specific error code online. I also don't have any compatible parts I can use for testing purposes, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

My build should be below but I'm posting from mobile and it doesn't seem to be working here, so for safety sake here are my specs.

Mobo - Asus - X99-A ATX LGA2011-3
Cpu - i7 5820k overclocked to 4.0 thx
Gpu - EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW
Ram - G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Same Problem!

I just got the exact same thing happening: 3 days ago, turned on my computer (almost identical to yours except Corsair RAM) and got messages "Overclocking error" and "Warning High Temps CPU" up to 90's C immediately, so I shut down and let it sit for hours. Rebooted and same messages then it shut itself off and will not reboot. Red DRAMM_LED light solid and "b6" message. Have done everything yo did except replace the little flat battery. Even replaced my Corsair liquid cooler for a Noctua but still no change and will not boot up.
Hope someone comes up with something. Our situations are too similar.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So after my first post I was able to get ahold of some new ram to tryout with the board but it yielded the same results, at this point it's either the cpu or the mobo causing the issue. I'm leaning more towards the mobo since if just the cpu was faulty I'd probably be getting a different error code, the thing I just don't understand though is why the mobo still has some function. I've never had to deal with faulty hardware before but I assume the thing wouldn't power on at all or at least have zero functionality if it did. But as mentioned in my first post I'm able to use the memOK feature and when ram is socketed in the wrong spot it uses the correct beeps.

The only thing I think I can do now is order another x99 board and see if it works as I've pretty much exhausted all of my troubleshooting options.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

What are you going to replace the X99 Deluxe with? Will you keep your same CPU? Should this be a "simple" process and won't freak Windows out?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Cutt View Post
What are you going to replace the X99 Deluxe with? Will you keep your same CPU? Should this be a "simple" process and won't freak Windows out?
I ended up ordering a Asus x99 pro motherboard which hasn't got here yet, I think with such a similar board and the same cpu windows should be fine but if not reinstalling windows is pretty easy. I'm just still hoping it's the motherboard and not the cpu at fault. I also pickup some temp hardware (a z390 motherboard and a cpu to go with it) that unfortunately didn't work out but I was able to test my ram and confirm that wasn't the culprit.

Reading over your post I'm not entirely sure what the issue is there, I didn't get any messages about overheating with mine and I also air cool (noctua nh-d15). You can try resetting the cmos since that's what the error is supposedly referring to, but your best bet would be to test your hardware with other compatible hardware and see what happens. I did some reading up on hardware failure in general and found it's unlikely for components like the CPU and RAM to fail, not impossible mind you just less likely than say a motherboard or hdd.

If you're not in a rush I might suggest picking up a refurbished x99 board off Amazon, they're going for 150ish right now. At least to test if your motherboard is at fault, Amazon seems to have a fairly generous return policy so even if it's your cpu you should be able to ship it right back.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

I first removed all my RAM and tried restarting with one stick at a time and since no luck starting, I must have had a motherboard issue. I then ordered another X99 off ebay that has a very similar CPU attached which I will replace with mine. If it still won't start, I'll try the other CPU. Windows shouldn't care about a new motherboard as long as I use my old CPU. I did see my CPU model # was listed at Microsoft Live with my computer along with my KEY code for Win 10.
Board arrives July 2 and I have disassembled my old motherboard and labeled all the connecting wires so hopefully this will not be a nightmare of a re-assemble. Thank goodness I found an old laptop that I updated to Win 10 so I had some kind of computer to use other than an iPad!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in