Refurbed ASRock H97M Pro4 has hard-to-remove fingerprints on back of CPU tray - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Refurbed ASRock H97M Pro4 has hard-to-remove fingerprints on back of CPU tray

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Refurbed ASRock H97M Pro4 has hard-to-remove fingerprints on back of CPU tray

I have what appears to be a refurbished ASRock H97M Pro4, sent by ASRock (via RMA while still under warranty) as a replacement to a new board that arrived bricked. On the back of the CPU tray there are mildly crusty fingerprints that are almost practically stuck on the board and are hard to remove. I can't say whether the residue from the prints came from thermal paste that has long-since hardened, or something else left those prints behind.

Thermal material remover and surface purifier won't work. I used the ArctiClean brand to try to get those prints off the back. Is there something else that I can use to remove the prints without disturbing the sensitive components (i.e., the pins) on the other side of the CPU tray? Would alcohol suffice? Or do I need something tougher, like Ajax on a slightly wet cotton ball, or a small piece of a Brillo pad, or Noxon on a rag?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190627_034234.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	679.5 KB
ID:	276658  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190627_034514.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	276660  

Last edited by CookyMonzta; 06-27-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Never mind. Noxon works. With quite a bit of rubbing, the fingerprints that were embedded on the bottom of the tray disappeared. Unfortunately, so did the numbers.

I always thought that, when a motherboard manufacturer refurbishes a burned-out or bricked board, not only do they replace the faulty chips, circuitry, capacitors and resistors, but they also replace the dirty, rusted or broken (non-electronic) parts, to make the item look respectable, if not "like new".

I traded a new motherboard that came out of the box bricked, for an RMA motherboard that arrived looking used, judging by the crusty CPU tray under the board. I hope it doesn't give me 4 beeps (or any unacceptable alarm sound), like the one I sent to ASRock.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:46 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 66 (Unique: 56)
IIRC When parts are refurbed they are checked for functionality across a few basic benchmarks and then shelved to be reused later. Few parts are replaced, if any.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

In other words, I gave ASRock a new motherboard with only a bricked system timer (4 beeps), and I may have got in return a motherboard that might be 3 years old, and all they did was test it for initial functionality, with no telling what other problems may show up, once I load Windows or Linux to it.

I'm pretty sure they replace capacitors that might have blown up like popcorn, otherwise they would have either trashed it or sent it to a recycling unit to strip it for whatever parts and chips can be saved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in