i5 9600k with aorus z390 ultra oc problem. need help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

i5 9600k with aorus z390 ultra oc problem. need help

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i5 9600k with aorus z390 ultra oc problem. need help

Ok so i built a rig for gaming that i can overclock .
Specs
Aorus z390 ultra
I5 9600k
512 xpg nvme
16gb g.skill tridentz 3200
Corsair Cs650m PS
Deep cool captain 240 ex
Problem is, i followed guide to overclock .BUT seems in bios says im OC'ed under windows 10 im not. also tried cpuz aorus and intel extreme tuning utility .All say im running 0.80ghz (800 mhz ).i tried everything to change it .only thing that works is throttlestop .what can cause this . when i use throttlestop an turn off bd prochot its runs at 4.6 ghz what i have set in bios. temp stays around 30c at idle around 50 on all 6 core during stress test.if i run the comp without throttle stop it stays at 800mhz even under load .when i click the bd prochot on throttle stop i see on intel extreme tuning utility thermal throttle lights up an drops down to 0.80 an stays that way.Can this be a messed up mobo even though its brand new ? Any info would be very much appreciated. Maybe i missed something in bios to stop it from thermal throttling i dont know . But i followed everything done on gigabyte walk through. I changed all power settings in windows too . All set to high performance . Also there are 2 cpu plugs on board atx 12v 2x2 and atx 12v 2x4 i read i only need one the 12v 2x4 but could i need both to oc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 167)
BD PROCHOT stands for bi-directional processor hot. It is a signal path to your CPU. This allows other sensors on your motherboard to force your CPU to its slowest speed, regardless of load. When a sensor goes bad, your CPU will be stuck at 800 MHz. Using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT will block these throttling signals from getting to the CPU so it can run at full speed.

When it comes to BD PROCHOT, most motherboards are not well documented. It could be a temperature sensor or a sensor on your voltage regulator that has gone bad. One user did lots of CPU / motherboard swapping and thought that it was the CPU itself that was causing this problem. Without proper documentation, it can be very difficult to troubleshoot this problem further. You can either start swapping parts or you can use the Task Scheduler to add ThrottleStop to your Windows start up sequence.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre.../#post-6865107

You can turn off ThrottleStop's monitoring features (Stop Data) as well as the system tray icon if you do not want to look at it. ThrottleStop will quietly run in the background and it will make sure that BD PROCHOT remains disabled.

Edit - Internally, the CPU uses the same mechanism as thermal throttling even though your CPU temperature is fine. That is why Intel XTU reports this as thermal throttling. The CPU is throttling but this is being triggered by a source outside of the CPU. When BD PROCHOT is disabled, the CPU will still thermal throttle if it ever gets too hot. The PROCHOT (processor hot) signal is generated within the CPU and cannot be blocked.

Last edited by unclewebb; 07-21-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

so more then likely its the mobo ? because I recently just bought everything. I just put the computer together 2 days ago and ran into this problem . That would be the cause I cant overclock in bios ? When I use hwinfo and look at sensors . It says there is no thermal throttling going on. I did a bunch of searching to find answers but everything turns up at a dead end.then I read it could be a power source issue but if it was a ps issue wouldn't it mess up when I use throttle stop?

Last edited by Wayne Purdy; 07-22-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

here are pics of everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	report.png
Views:	12
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	282754  

Name:	cupid aorus.png
Views:	13
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	282756  

Name:	before prochot.png
Views:	15
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	282758  

Name:	after proschot.png
Views:	12
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	282760  

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

If you click on Limts and open up Limit Reasons, when your CPU is stuck at 800 MHz, Limit Reasons will likely show you BD PROCHOT lit up in red. We know that is the reason for throttling. What I am saying is that without proper documentation from your motherboard manufacturer, there is no way to find out exactly what sensor is feeding a signal to your CPU along the BD PROCHOT line and forcing it to throttle.

To troubleshoot you need to replace parts. First the motherboard and if that does not solve the problem then the CPU. If it is the motherboard and you get this problem solved today, it could happen again a week or a month or two from now. Some MSI boards are really bad for this problem because they have a LN2 / Slow Mode switch on the motherboard that fail long before they should.

Last edited by unclewebb; 07-22-2019 at 07:57 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:57 AM
Tinkers With Rigs

Rep: 41 (Unique: 35)
Quote: Originally Posted by Wayne Purdy View Post
Ok so i built a rig for gaming that i can overclock .
Specs
Aorus z390 ultra
I5 9600k
512 xpg nvme
16gb g.skill tridentz 3200
Corsair Cs650m PS
Deep cool captain 240 ex
Problem is, i followed guide to overclock .BUT seems in bios says im OC'ed under windows 10 im not. also tried cpuz aorus and intel extreme tuning utility .All say im running 0.80ghz (800 mhz ).i tried everything to change it .only thing that works is throttlestop .what can cause this . when i use throttlestop an turn off bd prochot its runs at 4.6 ghz what i have set in bios. temp stays around 30c at idle around 50 on all 6 core during stress test.if i run the comp without throttle stop it stays at 800mhz even under load .when i click the bd prochot on throttle stop i see on intel extreme tuning utility thermal throttle lights up an drops down to 0.80 an stays that way.Can this be a messed up mobo even though its brand new ? Any info would be very much appreciated. Maybe i missed something in bios to stop it from thermal throttling i dont know . But i followed everything done on gigabyte walk through. I changed all power settings in windows too . All set to high performance . Also there are 2 cpu plugs on board atx 12v 2x2 and atx 12v 2x4 i read i only need one the 12v 2x4 but could i need both to oc?
I had this very same problem on a 6600k that I delidded.

I set the motherboard to load an 'optimized default' setting (not sure what it would be called with your motherboard) and it booted to stock clocks. After that I was able to OC as usual.

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
Yeah, these people using computers for computational tasks are a real nuisance. Driving up demand for components I need to get my fps from 94 to 110 fps on OverDarkBattleBrigade 3: Witch Hunt to Call of Duty for Dragon Riders.
Lake in the Sky
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K @4.6 1.35v
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4
GPU
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 OC
RAM
Team Xtreem T-Force @3600 1.35v
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Cooling
Corsair H60 2 Scythe SFlexF in Push/Pull w/ shroud
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
LG 25UM56
Keyboard
Razer Black Widow Tournament Edition
Mouse
Razer Death Adder
Mousepad
GSkill Ripjaws M760
CPU
Q9550 E0 @ 4 Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 470 810/1620/1800
RAM
G Skill Ripjaws [email protected] 9-10-10-28
Hard Drive
OCZ Agility2 SSD 60GB boot, 1TB Toshiba data
Optical Drive
2x LiteON DVD+RW DL w/ lightscribe
Power Supply
Corsair HX620
Cooling
H50 P/P Scythe SFlex F (w/ push shroud)
Case
CM 690 II Advanced
Operating System
Win7 Pro x64
Monitor
Acer 22" Widesceen
Keyboard
IBM Model M 1988
Mouse
Microsoft Wireless 5000 w/ Bluetrack
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
it booted to stock clocks.
It is not booting to stock clocks. It is booting and stuck at 800 MHz. Big difference.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:00 AM
Tinkers With Rigs

Rep: 41 (Unique: 35)
Quote: Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
It is not booting to stock clocks. It is booting and stuck at 800 MHz. Big difference.
It booted to stock clocks AFTER I SET IT TO OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS. EXCUSE ME FOR TRYING TO HELP

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
Yeah, these people using computers for computational tasks are a real nuisance. Driving up demand for components I need to get my fps from 94 to 110 fps on OverDarkBattleBrigade 3: Witch Hunt to Call of Duty for Dragon Riders.
Lake in the Sky
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K @4.6 1.35v
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4
GPU
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 OC
RAM
Team Xtreem T-Force @3600 1.35v
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Cooling
Corsair H60 2 Scythe SFlexF in Push/Pull w/ shroud
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
LG 25UM56
Keyboard
Razer Black Widow Tournament Edition
Mouse
Razer Death Adder
Mousepad
GSkill Ripjaws M760
CPU
Q9550 E0 @ 4 Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 470 810/1620/1800
RAM
G Skill Ripjaws [email protected] 9-10-10-28
Hard Drive
OCZ Agility2 SSD 60GB boot, 1TB Toshiba data
Optical Drive
2x LiteON DVD+RW DL w/ lightscribe
Power Supply
Corsair HX620
Cooling
H50 P/P Scythe SFlex F (w/ push shroud)
Case
CM 690 II Advanced
Operating System
Win7 Pro x64
Monitor
Acer 22" Widesceen
Keyboard
IBM Model M 1988
Mouse
Microsoft Wireless 5000 w/ Bluetrack
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

your talking about on throttle stop ?yeah its the bd prochot I have warrenty on everything so I wrote gigabyte waiting on them to write back.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

if I send it back am I goin to get a board that still looks brand new or am I gonna get some messed up looking rma?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in