MSI MPG issues.... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MSI MPG issues....

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
MSI MPG issues....

Hey Guys, so I've been working on a new build for a while now and I'm at my whits end. My goal was to build a micro atx liquid cooled system with a 1080ti and 9700k but I've been having MB issues. Right now I'm on my 2nd MSI MPG Z390M but I can't seem to get it to post? The ez debug leds flash between ram and cpu and i read that clearing cmos and removing from the case for grounding issues should fix that (it didn't) and this is my 2nd one of these mb's I've tried and it still has the same issue. I did have an ASUS MB I started on, ASUS TUF Z390M, the first one would boot and loaded windows fine but wouldn't find the VGA, 2nd one of these wouldn't post.

I have disassembled this rig at least 4 times, checking for fitment of ram and cpu as well as checking for bent pins and any damage but I haven't spotted anything. I did leave the extra 4 pin cpu power connector out due to lack of the extra cable.

Is there a compatibility issue I'm not seeing? The cpu and ram did work, but could something have happened to all 4 sticks of ram and the cpu? Or is there something simple that I'm missing?

I'm getting ready to pull this MB and return it so I don't get stuck with a MB that I can't use but figured I'd ask here before i did.

Specs

MSI MPG Z390M Gaming edge AC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Intel 9700k

G.skill Trident Z 3200 DDR4 8X4 GB

Asus 1080 TI Strix

Corsair HX1000i

Included the MSI support e-mail to show and I have tried everything on their list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	284784  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by howejustin View Post
Snip
NVM couldn't read the picture on my phone. Issue seems weird; possibly a dead CPU at this point.

Edit: am I reading this wrong: Is there a compatibility issue I'm not seeing? The cpu and ram did work, but could something have happened to all 4 sticks of ram and the cpu? Or is there something simple that I'm missing?

So your CPU + 1 stick of ram works? Does your CPU + 4 sticks not work?

Does your CPU + 1 stick + VGA work? My 1050 ti (that is seemingly dead; sending it in for an RMA to confirm) was giving me similar issues: CPU/Dram lights, system not posting; swapped to a 7870 and everything was fine again. Could be something like that for you (even if it seems weird that the GPU would be triggering the CPU/DRAM debug codes and not the VGA code).

Last edited by Jedi Mind Trick; 07-31-2019 at 06:33 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
NVM couldn't read the picture on my phone. Issue seems weird; possibly a dead CPU at this point.

Edit: am I reading this wrong: Is there a compatibility issue I'm not seeing? The cpu and ram did work, but could something have happened to all 4 sticks of ram and the cpu? Or is there something simple that I'm missing?

So your CPU + 1 stick of ram works? Does your CPU + 4 sticks not work?

Does your CPU + 1 stick + VGA work? My 1050 ti (that is seemingly dead; sending it in for an RMA to confirm) was giving me similar issues: CPU/Dram lights, system not posting; swapped to a 7870 and everything was fine again. Could be something like that for you (even if it seems weird that the GPU would be triggering the CPU/DRAM debug codes and not the VGA code).
Nothing works. I've tried running as simple as I can with 1 stick of ram and the cpu with VGA removed and unplugged, still has the same issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by howejustin View Post
Nothing works. I've tried running as simple as I can with 1 stick of ram and the cpu with VGA removed and unplugged, still has the same issue.

Did the ASUS board work, but not find the GPU (or was it the first MSI board that worked without the GPU?). It is possible that whatever board 'worked' without the GPU was defective and killed your CPU. While it is way more likely that you got two bad boards vs killing/getting a bad CPU, either are possible and definitely not fun to troubleshoot.

You have any friends/family (or a PC shop?) that have a different board you could test your CPU/Ram on? Buying and returning [multiple parts] from Amazon (and the like) seems like it would be too much of a PITA (especially if they charge restocking fees).

I would definitely return the board and get something else regardless [not worth the future anger-at-self if you get it 'working' and then it develops problems after the return period passes].

Last edited by Jedi Mind Trick; 07-31-2019 at 08:14 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
Did the ASUS board work, but not find the GPU (or was it the first MSI board that worked without the GPU?). It is possible that whatever board 'worked' without the GPU was defective and killed your CPU. While it is way more likely that you got two bad boards vs killing/getting a bad CPU, either are possible and definitely not fun to troubleshoot.

You have any friends/family (or a PC shop?) that have a different board you could test your CPU/Ram on? Buying and returning [multiple parts] from Amazon (and the like) seems like it would be too much of a PITA (especially if they charge restocking fees).

I would definitely return the board and get something else regardless [not worth the future anger-at-self if you get it 'working' and then it develops problems after the return period passes].
The first ASUS board worked but wouldn't find the GPU, the second ASUS board I tried wouldn't post, and neither would either of the 2 MSI's I've tried since.

I really don't have the option to test on anything else, I know a guy who runs a shop but he doesn't deal in higher end stuff like this.

And I think your right, I'd be kicking myself later if i didn't return it and had more issues later lol.

Any suggestions on a "good" compatible micro atx MB? or should I just try another ASUS since one kinda worked?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 538 (Unique: 305)
great, and this board just showed up as a replacement for the asus z390 prime I broke.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
great, and this board just showed up as a replacement for the asus z390 prime I broke.
Haha I hope you have better luck. Ever herd the saying? "If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all"

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 538 (Unique: 305)
I'll let you know.

I think i ended up damaging my PCIe while trying to jam two different generation EK blocks into the same system.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in