ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme CPU code 00 (New Build) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme CPU code 00 (New Build)

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Invalid Media

Rep: 63 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by elderan View Post
So I took everything out, set it up on its own with just MB, CPU, GPU (from another machine I know works), 1 stick of memory, another PSU (which I know works)

Same issue.

Code 00 unless I put some heat on it with a blow dryer then it goes through all the codes and says "POST Error" and nothing displays.

I am still no closer to knowing if its cpu or mb.

I can appreciate how frustrating this must be, having been there myself with '00'. And while the hairdryer-on-Q code area method seems to *possibly* suggest some mobo trace issue, what stands out is your earlier comment "... I thought it was the motherboard and send the old one back and the new one is giving the same error." I would open a RMA ticket w/ Intel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
I can appreciate how frustrating this must be, having been there myself with '00'. And while the hairdryer-on-Q code area method seems to *possibly* suggest some mobo trace issue, what stands out is your earlier comment "... I thought it was the motherboard and send the old one back and the new one is giving the same error." I would open a RMA ticket w/ Intel.
The cpu was bought from newegg last week so I am still in their exchange policy. So if I need to RMA it I will do it with them, but this will take 2-10 days. The only reason I have not done this is because reviews like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Singl...iewID=10206668 . There are just so many reviews out there of people saying they have to go through 2-3 or more of these boards to get them to work. Also the fact its so rare for a cpu to be bad.

So I went ahead and order another brand MB for this chip that just came out. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681314...82E16813145153 Main reason I did not want this MB because it does not match the vrm waterblocks I have and I generally stick to asus. But if it works then guess I will deal with it.
I get it tomorrow, if this does not work then I know almost certainly its the CPU and I will RMA it. So I will have 6k in motherboards tomorrow...

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:49 PM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Rep: 178 (Unique: 139)
Are you sure you're not over tightening your waterblock?

I also have a AORUS C621 Xtreme and it works great btw. I don't have à w3175x yet though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post
Are you sure you're not over tightening your waterblock?

I also have a AORUS C621 Xtreme and it works great btw. I don't have à w3175x yet though.

I mean I cant say 100% for sure but I tried various ways. First install I did it as I would any cpu install in order of 1-2-3-4 holes making them firm but not all the way turned. After I got the CPU 00 I reset the cpu, verified no pins were bent and tried again. Same issue, so I tightened them down all the way. Which doesnt go far. 1 and 2 dont allow you to go more than few turns until it stops anyway. The side ones 3 and 4 allow much more but I tried various ways. I figure if just tightness was the issue one of my methods would have at least detected it.

If the AORUS C621 Xtreme works I will need a MOS waterblock for it, are you water cooling yours? I found bitspower has one but only place I saw that had it was from them directly which is going to take a while to get. Also want to run SLI assuming you can assign pcie x 16 to any two slots you want.

If the AORUS C621 Xtreme doesnt work then I will RMA the cpu and most likely try the ASUS again once I get the new CPU and decide which board to keep.

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So got my C621 AORUS XTREME today. Booted up first try no issues.

So I know the cpu isnt doa now atleast. Main issue now is I really preffer the asus. The gigabyte will need another vrm waterblock and it doesnt even have m.2 ports so I will need a pcie m.2 card.

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:11 PM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Rep: 178 (Unique: 139)

So I know the cpu isnt doa now atleast. Main issue now is I really preffer the asus. The gigabyte will need another vrm waterblock and it doesnt even have m.2 ports so I will need a pcie m.2 card.
The C621 Aorus is finding a case for it that's the hardest part.

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post
The C621 Aorus is finding a case for it that's the hardest part.

I have a Thermaltake WP200 so should fit that.

https://www.thermaltake.com/C_000028...?id=C_00002895

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 63 (Unique: 27)

Good to hear that you could delineate which component it was and that the CPU is fine. I guess that means though that two out of two ROG Dominus Extreme mobos were faulty ?!
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
Good to hear that you could delineate which component it was and that the CPU is fine. I guess that means though that two out of two ROG Dominus Extreme mobos were faulty ?!
Seems so, I suspected they were when I was able to blow warm air on the q code area and get it past the cpu code and have the rest of the codes pass until it got a post error. Someone mentioned these might have a cold boot bug which it because they can work with LN (Liquid Nitrogen) setup. They even have a jumper you can set for LN or not. I tried that though and still got the same error.

I am really tempted to try another asus board but I have 2 asus and 1 gigabyte atm which is about 6k in cost right now. One board is on its way back to amazon, another will be shipped tomorrow. I ran past by budget for this project so I would need to wait for those returns to be credited back to me before getting another one.

I prefer the asus board because the gigabyte does not even have m.2 built onto the board. The asus just has a ton more features but if it doesnt work what can you do.

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 151 (Unique: 93)
Hi,
Yeah asus go figure very poor quality control in this case.

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM copper-plexi water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper-plexi Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
D5 pump reservoir combo/ GTX280/ VRM block/ GTX280/ D5 top/ CPU block/ GPU block/ Mora 360/ repeat.
Cooling
MO-RA3 360 PRO stainless steel (25022)
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in