ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme CPU code 00 (New Build) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme CPU code 00 (New Build)

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Invalid Media

Rep: 19 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by elderan View Post
So I took everything out, set it up on its own with just MB, CPU, GPU (from another machine I know works), 1 stick of memory, another PSU (which I know works)

Same issue.

Code 00 unless I put some heat on it with a blow dryer then it goes through all the codes and says "POST Error" and nothing displays.

I am still no closer to knowing if its cpu or mb.

I can appreciate how frustrating this must be, having been there myself with '00'. And while the hairdryer-on-Q code area method seems to *possibly* suggest some mobo trace issue, what stands out is your earlier comment "... I thought it was the motherboard and send the old one back and the new one is giving the same error." I would open a RMA ticket w/ Intel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
I can appreciate how frustrating this must be, having been there myself with '00'. And while the hairdryer-on-Q code area method seems to *possibly* suggest some mobo trace issue, what stands out is your earlier comment "... I thought it was the motherboard and send the old one back and the new one is giving the same error." I would open a RMA ticket w/ Intel.
The cpu was bought from newegg last week so I am still in their exchange policy. So if I need to RMA it I will do it with them, but this will take 2-10 days. The only reason I have not done this is because reviews like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Singl...iewID=10206668 . There are just so many reviews out there of people saying they have to go through 2-3 or more of these boards to get them to work. Also the fact its so rare for a cpu to be bad.

So I went ahead and order another brand MB for this chip that just came out. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681314...82E16813145153 Main reason I did not want this MB because it does not match the vrm waterblocks I have and I generally stick to asus. But if it works then guess I will deal with it.
I get it tomorrow, if this does not work then I know almost certainly its the CPU and I will RMA it. So I will have 6k in motherboards tomorrow...

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:49 PM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Are you sure you're not over tightening your waterblock?

I also have a AORUS C621 Xtreme and it works great btw. I don't have à w3175x yet though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post
Are you sure you're not over tightening your waterblock?

I also have a AORUS C621 Xtreme and it works great btw. I don't have à w3175x yet though.

I mean I cant say 100% for sure but I tried various ways. First install I did it as I would any cpu install in order of 1-2-3-4 holes making them firm but not all the way turned. After I got the CPU 00 I reset the cpu, verified no pins were bent and tried again. Same issue, so I tightened them down all the way. Which doesnt go far. 1 and 2 dont allow you to go more than few turns until it stops anyway. The side ones 3 and 4 allow much more but I tried various ways. I figure if just tightness was the issue one of my methods would have at least detected it.

If the AORUS C621 Xtreme works I will need a MOS waterblock for it, are you water cooling yours? I found bitspower has one but only place I saw that had it was from them directly which is going to take a while to get. Also want to run SLI assuming you can assign pcie x 16 to any two slots you want.

If the AORUS C621 Xtreme doesnt work then I will RMA the cpu and most likely try the ASUS again once I get the new CPU and decide which board to keep.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So got my C621 AORUS XTREME today. Booted up first try no issues.

So I know the cpu isnt doa now atleast. Main issue now is I really preffer the asus. The gigabyte will need another vrm waterblock and it doesnt even have m.2 ports so I will need a pcie m.2 card.

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:11 PM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

So I know the cpu isnt doa now atleast. Main issue now is I really preffer the asus. The gigabyte will need another vrm waterblock and it doesnt even have m.2 ports so I will need a pcie m.2 card.
The C621 Aorus is finding a case for it that's the hardest part.

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post
The C621 Aorus is finding a case for it that's the hardest part.

I have a Thermaltake WP200 so should fit that.

https://www.thermaltake.com/C_000028...?id=C_00002895

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 19 (Unique: 12)

Good to hear that you could delineate which component it was and that the CPU is fine. I guess that means though that two out of two ROG Dominus Extreme mobos were faulty ?!
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
Good to hear that you could delineate which component it was and that the CPU is fine. I guess that means though that two out of two ROG Dominus Extreme mobos were faulty ?!
Seems so, I suspected they were when I was able to blow warm air on the q code area and get it past the cpu code and have the rest of the codes pass until it got a post error. Someone mentioned these might have a cold boot bug which it because they can work with LN (Liquid Nitrogen) setup. They even have a jumper you can set for LN or not. I tried that though and still got the same error.

I am really tempted to try another asus board but I have 2 asus and 1 gigabyte atm which is about 6k in cost right now. One board is on its way back to amazon, another will be shipped tomorrow. I ran past by budget for this project so I would need to wait for those returns to be credited back to me before getting another one.

I prefer the asus board because the gigabyte does not even have m.2 built onto the board. The asus just has a ton more features but if it doesnt work what can you do.

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 62 (Unique: 48)
Hi,
Yeah asus go figure very poor quality control in this case.

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-9940x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Audio
Built in realtek with Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 for os/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in