Z390-f fan connectors - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Z390-f fan connectors

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 5)
Z390-f fan connectors

Was searching around and couldn't find an answer (maybe buried deep). All of the fan connectors on the board are pwm and can all be set to control off of many optional temps (Tprobe, PCH, CPU, etc). All except for the cpu connector. But if you are water cooling, you want the rad fans to be geared towards spooling up/down based on Tprobe in the coolant loop. Yet you are still required to have something plugged into the CPU terminal or the board will not operate (safety feature). So has anybody shifted connections around? What were your results? I have my 360 rad fans plugged into the CPU connector and they spool up and down based on the cpu temp. But on heavy graphic applications the gpu can get much hotter and the system chases itself to bring down the coolant. So what I was thinking about doing was moving the rad fans to a different terminal where it can be sent to Tprobe. Move the vrm fan connector to the CPU terminal so that it can spool up/down based on cpu temp. All it's doing is cooling the VRM anyway. Setting the system up to run the rad/pump off the coolant system should be a simple solution. The rest of the fans can be run off of whatever terminals just to keep air moving through the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 36)
Quote: Originally Posted by Soulpatch View Post
Was searching around and couldn't find an answer (maybe buried deep). All of the fan connectors on the board are pwm and can all be set to control off of many optional temps (Tprobe, PCH, CPU, etc). All except for the cpu connector. But if you are water cooling, you want the rad fans to be geared towards spooling up/down based on Tprobe in the coolant loop. Yet you are still required to have something plugged into the CPU terminal or the board will not operate (safety feature). So has anybody shifted connections around? What were your results? I have my 360 rad fans plugged into the CPU connector and they spool up and down based on the cpu temp. But on heavy graphic applications the gpu can get much hotter and the system chases itself to bring down the coolant. So what I was thinking about doing was moving the rad fans to a different terminal where it can be sent to Tprobe. Move the vrm fan connector to the CPU terminal so that it can spool up/down based on cpu temp. All it's doing is cooling the VRM anyway. Setting the system up to run the rad/pump off the coolant system should be a simple solution. The rest of the fans can be run off of whatever terminals just to keep air moving through the box.
Or just tell the bios to ignore that fan. All my onboard fan connectors are set to ignore.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Or just tell the bios to ignore that fan. All my onboard fan connectors are set to ignore.

I had just assumed that you couldn't for safety purposes (engineer in me). You can set it to ignore that connector and then shift the rads to another pin. Well, that would work out and make life much easier. A liquid cooled system should be driven by that system and not by anything else. Otherwise it's just wasted options. Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Curious, how do you control your fans? Or does it just ignore the alarm/safety feature? Anyway I'll take a look at if it can be ignore I'll run with that.

Appreciate the quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Okay, chose the ignore feature in the main bios. Shut it all down and disconnected the fans, re-connected to the CHA_Fan2 and rebooted. Immediate cpu error on the fan connector. So shut it all down and re-connected back to the cpu terminal. pretty annoying since I'd like to drive that particular set of fans with using the TC in the coolant loop. I guess the other option would be to connect the case fans at the back to the cpu since they are running at a static speed and not pwm.

Last edited by Soulpatch; 05-22-2020 at 05:54 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 36)
Quote: Originally Posted by Soulpatch View Post
I had just assumed that you couldn't for safety purposes (engineer in me). You can set it to ignore that connector and then shift the rads to another pin. Well, that would work out and make life much easier. A liquid cooled system should be driven by that system and not by anything else. Otherwise it's just wasted options. Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Curious, how do you control your fans? Or does it just ignore the alarm/safety feature? Anyway I'll take a look at if it can be ignore I'll run with that.

Appreciate the quick reply
Fans connected via Splitty9 then to a Quadro and finally an Aquero XT.

Yeah depending on the MB you should be able to tell it to ignore the CPU fan.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Fans connected via Splitty9 then to a Quadro and finally an Aquero XT.

Yeah depending on the MB you should be able to tell it to ignore the CPU fan.

Told it to ignore and it definitely didn't do that lol It's the Asus rog Z390-f board. Think the other option would be to change things up a bit. No biggie, just a pia since you know how it is once all the cables are run. But I'll set it up so that the rad fans are run from another terminal and the case fans can get shifted to the cpu terminal. Like I said, they are static 3 pin running at full speed, so it won't be much of an issue other than re-routing some lines. I know the liquid cooling tech has been out there long enough that these boards should already be equipped with more than just a pwm terminal for the pump. Some of the newest boards definitely have better options, just wish mine did. But all in all it's something I can work around easily enough. I've got the system pretty well setup as far as over-clocking, but was curious. Has anybody actually used the AI overclocking that asus attached to the bios? Was looking around for information and there doesn't seem to be much. I tried using the asus win10 software to control fans, etc. but it was a nightmare. So I'm pretty leery about using their stuff unless there's no other option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in