Z490 Intel i225 Lan - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Z490 Intel i225 Lan

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
This might help.

Last week I installed an Asus Prime Z490-A that included an Intel i225-V Ethernet port. The Windows Device manager indicated the Ethernet port was properly installed but it appeared dead and Windows saw no connection. Neither light on the RJ-45 connector was lit. The Windows trouble shooter stated there was no Ethernet cable plugged in or the cable was bad. I verified the Ethernet cable, direct from an AT&T RG, worked properly by plugging it into my laptop. However, when plugged into the Z490-A, neither of the two lights in the RJ-45 connector would light. I called Asus and they had me install three different drivers but none fixed the problem. Asus then said the board was defective and a new board was shipped. The port on the new board also did not work. After hours of troubleshooting, something, I do not know what, made me think to simply insert a powered switch between the Ethernet cable and the Z490-A. The socket instantly came alive with both lights lit and Windows immediately connected to the internet.

The AT&T RG is in another room and the cat5e cable from it is a home run from one of the four yellow RJ-45 sockets on the back of the RG to a RJ-45 socket in the wall behind my desk. A six foot jumper then went from the socket in the wall to my computer. Now the jumper goes to a four port 1000M switch and another jumper goes from the switch to the computer. The switch has nothing else connected to it. Although my laptop, and two other computers have used this socket directly without any issue, the Asus Prime Z490-A with the Intel i225-V Ethernet port would not connect to it.

I am going to leave well enough alone now as it works but I am thinking one of the cat5e cables between the AT&T RG and the computer should be or should not be a crossover cable. My guess is most Ethernet devices are insensitive to this but the Intel i225-V might be. The 1000M switch makes any crossovers behind it (toward the AT&T RG) invisible to the i225-V and only a single commercial cable that came with some device I bought sometime in the past is now between the computer and the switch.

Last edited by RhoXS; 07-09-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 463 (Unique: 321)
Quote: Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
This might help.

Last week I installed an Asus Prime Z490-A that included an Intel i225-V Ethernet port. The Windows Device manager indicated the Ethernet port was properly installed but it appeared dead and Windows saw no connection. Neither light on the RJ-45 connector was lit. The Windows trouble shooter stated there was no Ethernet cable plugged in or the cable was bad. I verified the Ethernet cable, direct from an AT&T RG, worked properly by plugging it into my laptop. However, when plugged into the Z490-A, neither of the two lights in the RJ-45 connector would light. I called Asus and they had me install three different drivers but none fixed the problem. Asus then said the board was defective and a new board was shipped. The port on the new board also did not work. After hours of troubleshooting, something, I do not know what, made me think to simply insert a powered switch between the Ethernet cable and the Z490-A. The socket instantly came alive with both lights lit and Windows immediately connected to the internet.

The AT&T RG is in another room and the cat5e cable from it is a home run from one of the four yellow RJ-45 sockets on the back of the RG to a RJ-45 socket in the wall behind my desk. A six foot jumper then went from the socket in the wall to my computer. Now the jumper goes to a four port 1000M switch and another jumper goes from the switch to the computer. The switch has nothing else connected to it. Although my laptop, and two other computers have used this socket directly without any issue, the Asus Prime Z490-A with the Intel i225-V Ethernet port would not connect to it.

I am going to leave well enough alone now as it works but I am thinking one of the cat5e cables between the router and the computer should be or should not be a crossover cable. My guess is most Ethernet devices are insensitive to this but the Intel i225-V might be. The 1000M switch makes any crossovers behind it (toward the AT&T RG) invisible to the i225-V and only a single commercial cable that came with some device I bought sometime in the past is now between the computer and the switch.
This is something you need to contact Intel about directly. Asus would most likely be unable to help with this. Intel does have a technical number and email for such inquiries (I do not know it, but @criskoe can help you here), and there are people there who can help with something like this. They have a lot of highly intelligent engineers.

I know that with just a normal ethernet cable, witih no internet at all, I can simply plug in the ethernet cable to two motherboards, one with a V1 i225-v firmware (Early Maximus 12 extreme sample) and one with a V2 i225-v firmware (Retail Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Master), enable internet sharing, and then I can transfer files between both computers using an old school direct connection, with no router or anything.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
This is something you need to contact Intel about directly. ... They have a lot of highly intelligent engineers.
I thought we all are.

I will indeed take your advise but today I have another non-geeky life my wife would like me to attend to with my undivided attention.

I will also update here if I get any response. Much past experience strongly tells me the highly intelligent engineers you mentioned are "the back room guys" and so well insulated from the commercial world it is virtually impossible to get to them without tons of customer feedback first getting somebody's attention. However, I will try and advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 06:42 AM
Crayon Evangelist

Rep: 469 (Unique: 321)
ASUS Z490-A Prime
I have tried the firmware flash utility on a thumb drive. (file size larger than flash?!)
I have tried the ASUS provided firmware update tool provided with their drivers. (failure)
I've installed various driver versions. (still fails upon sleep or reboot)

So my work around:
Create a batch file, create task with log in trigger

Code:
@echo off
wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=9 call disable
TIMEOUT /T 2
wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=9 call enable
Disables and enables the NIC without user intervention. Eloquent? No. Effective? Yes.

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Computex 2018: 'Ladies and Gentleman, people of all chromatic sensibilities and lighting clownery, we are proud to present the aaarrrrgggeeebeeee Circus Maximus!'
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I was initially interested in Fallout 76, but my enthusiasm was nuked.
Quote: Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
If I lob a grenade and die and respawn before it exploded does it still explode?
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 06:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 142 (Unique: 62)
Does 2.5Gbit lan work with the firmware update? Or wasn't that the problem?

CPU24/7) 7980xe - 7900xMOBO: ASUS Rampage Apex x299 / Asrock Taichi x299RAM: 4x 3600c15 / 4x4266c19/ 4x4000 c17 GPU: 2x MSI tri X 2080ti / 1060tiSTORAGE: Areca 1883i HDD R6 + Samsung 850PROs R0 - 3x SM961 nvme 1TB - 3x Intel Optane 900p 480GBCASE: LD cooling V8 R/B / ld cooling reverse R/BMonitor: Acer x34 /Asus 27 AQ 4k g-sync / Asrock x570 Taichi / 3900x
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 08:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

z490 vision g board port bricked

I'm having an issue with a gigabyte z490 vision g board where the controller isn't even being detected as a network adapter so I can't install any drivers properly. All i see is in "other devices" in device manager an "ethernet controller" with a yellow exclamation mark saying no device drivers detected. All firmware patches have been installed, nothing seems to work. I'm trying to build a hackintosh as well with all the correct supported kexts and such for intel i225v but even that mac partition can't detect any internet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in