Overclock.net banner

Z490 Intel i225 Lan

25K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  tincho1980 
#1 ·
Is anyone with a z490 board with the intel i225v lan having issues getting their ethernet port working? I can get windows to recognize it on the gigabyte aorus ultra.

#2 ·
ASUS has provided a new firmware and driver recently.

These were the notes from ASUS:
Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.1.4 for Windows 10 64-bit.
Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally. For more information, please refer to the firmware update guide.

Check on Gigabyte's website if they have the same available.

#3 ·
i noticed Asus did in fact offer a new driver and firmware update too just a few days back but i havent bothered to flash to it yet as i have ZERO issues. I wonder what the firmware update "fixes"?

#16 ·
I had issues with the network vanishing when i reboot and the asus firmware update fixed it.

#7 ·
You may need the firmware update and new driver that goes with it. Did you check if it is available from Gigabyte?

#5 ·
What are the specific problems? Make sure you have disabled the Wi-Fi in Windows 10, if you have it enabled in BIOS.

#9 ·
#12 ·
Hopefully Gigabyte provides an update. Although, I am not sure if that is the fix, but seeing as the firmware was available right at launch it makes you wonder.

#15 · (Edited)
Guys, I will provide a temporary fix in the meanwhile.

1) Uninstall any software or drivers relating to the Intel i225-V network adapter.

2) After this, device manager should show an ethernet adapter with an exclamation mark.

3) Use Wi-Fi or a Hotspot and run windows update. It will download a 1.0.1.3 driver. Remember the 1.0.1.4 driver is the problem causing this disconnection issue after every reboot. Doesn't matter for which brand of board it is. You will get disconnected after every reboot.

Rep me if this helps you guys!

Cheers.

#17 ·
I couldn't even get the controller to show up in device manager at all. I ended up fixing the problem though, it needed a hard cmos reset. Clearing with the jumper was not enough, I had to remove the battery. After that the bios showed a valid lan address and the controller started working.

#18 · (Edited)
Link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490I-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan

Instructions:

1. Download Intel LAN Firmware Update Tool https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_lan_firmware_tool.zip

Extract /i225/ contents to a USB:

Reboot computer.
Hit F12.
Select your USB, it should run the UEFI.

Where it says Shell > type in your USB device, in my case I typed FS0:

If you placed the /i225/ contents to the root of the USB then all you need to do is type '225.nsh' and it should update.

Ctrl + Alt + Del rebooted me to desktop.

2. Downloaded Intel i225 LAN driver 1.0.1.4 from Gigabyte https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_635_inteli225_1.0.1.4.zip

Extract the .EXE file and right click run as administrator and it should come up as 1.0.1.4.

I tested rebooting multiple times as well as putting the computer to sleep and resume. Previous firmware symptoms were intermittent disconnected on boot and disconnected after sleep. Now its working fine. Prior to this I was using 1.0.0.9 with no issues but was having issues with 1.0.1.4 when I first got the board. I'm not sure if this firmware is to address the specific issue since it says is "Link Stability Improvements" so YMMV its working at least for me on my Z490i Aorus Ultra.

***With any firmware or bios flashing, do this at your own risk***

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490I-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-lan

Instructions:

1. Download Intel LAN Firmware Update Tool https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_lan_firmware_tool.zip

Extract /i225/ contents to a USB:

Reboot computer.
Hit F12.
Select your USB, it should run the UEFI.

Where it says Shell > type in your USB device, in my case I typed FS0:

If you placed the /i225/ contents to the root of the USB then all you need to do is type '225.nsh' and it should update.

Ctrl + Alt + Del rebooted me to desktop.

2. Downloaded Intel i225 LAN driver 1.0.1.4 from Gigabyte https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_635_inteli225_1.0.1.4.zip

Extract the .EXE file and right click run as administrator and it should come up as 1.0.1.4.

I tested rebooting multiple times as well as putting the computer to sleep and resume. Previous firmware symptoms were intermittent disconnected on boot and disconnected after sleep. Now its working fine. Prior to this I was using 1.0.0.9 with no issues but was having issues with 1.0.1.4 when I first got the board. I'm not sure if this firmware is to address the specific issue since it says is "Link Stability Improvements" so YMMV its working at least for me on my Z490i Aorus Ultra.

***With any firmware or bios flashing, do this at your own risk***

will this work for Asus boards as well?

#19 ·
I had the same issue with my Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Ultra for the first few days with the Nic stopping on restarts. This has stopped now but maybe because I let it load the default driver..For the last few days I have had no issues.

#29 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I completely missed the firmware file that was combined with the ASUS BIOS update.

I've rolled the driver back to ver. 1.0.0.13 and installed the new firmware using the Command window/.bat file routine. So far the i225 network adapter is continuing to work after a couple of restarts. If anyone needs it, I've tried to write out the step-by-step process I used to to get this done.

#30 ·
Does anyone know if i225 are unsupported by win 10 ver 1709?
When I try to install the asus driver on my xii apex I just get a black window for a few millisecond.

Firmware seems to update as it should

#31 · (Edited)
This might help.

Last week I installed an Asus Prime Z490-A that included an Intel i225-V Ethernet port. The Windows Device manager indicated the Ethernet port was properly installed but it appeared dead and Windows saw no connection. Neither light on the RJ-45 connector was lit. The Windows trouble shooter stated there was no Ethernet cable plugged in or the cable was bad. I verified the Ethernet cable, direct from an AT&T RG, worked properly by plugging it into my laptop. However, when plugged into the Z490-A, neither of the two lights in the RJ-45 connector would light. I called Asus and they had me install three different drivers but none fixed the problem. Asus then said the board was defective and a new board was shipped. The port on the new board also did not work. After hours of troubleshooting, something, I do not know what, made me think to simply insert a powered switch between the Ethernet cable and the Z490-A. The socket instantly came alive with both lights lit and Windows immediately connected to the internet.

The AT&T RG is in another room and the cat5e cable from it is a home run from one of the four yellow RJ-45 sockets on the back of the RG to a RJ-45 socket in the wall behind my desk. A six foot jumper then went from the socket in the wall to my computer. Now the jumper goes to a four port 1000M switch and another jumper goes from the switch to the computer. The switch has nothing else connected to it. Although my laptop, and two other computers have used this socket directly without any issue, the Asus Prime Z490-A with the Intel i225-V Ethernet port would not connect to it.

I am going to leave well enough alone now as it works but I am thinking one of the cat5e cables between the AT&T RG and the computer should be or should not be a crossover cable. My guess is most Ethernet devices are insensitive to this but the Intel i225-V might be. The 1000M switch makes any crossovers behind it (toward the AT&T RG) invisible to the i225-V and only a single commercial cable that came with some device I bought sometime in the past is now between the computer and the switch.

#32 ·
This might help.

Last week I installed an Asus Prime Z490-A that included an Intel i225-V Ethernet port. The Windows Device manager indicated the Ethernet port was properly installed but it appeared dead and Windows saw no connection. Neither light on the RJ-45 connector was lit. The Windows trouble shooter stated there was no Ethernet cable plugged in or the cable was bad. I verified the Ethernet cable, direct from an AT&T RG, worked properly by plugging it into my laptop. However, when plugged into the Z490-A, neither of the two lights in the RJ-45 connector would light. I called Asus and they had me install three different drivers but none fixed the problem. Asus then said the board was defective and a new board was shipped. The port on the new board also did not work. After hours of troubleshooting, something, I do not know what, made me think to simply insert a powered switch between the Ethernet cable and the Z490-A. The socket instantly came alive with both lights lit and Windows immediately connected to the internet.

The AT&T RG is in another room and the cat5e cable from it is a home run from one of the four yellow RJ-45 sockets on the back of the RG to a RJ-45 socket in the wall behind my desk. A six foot jumper then went from the socket in the wall to my computer. Now the jumper goes to a four port 1000M switch and another jumper goes from the switch to the computer. The switch has nothing else connected to it. Although my laptop, and two other computers have used this socket directly without any issue, the Asus Prime Z490-A with the Intel i225-V Ethernet port would not connect to it.

I am going to leave well enough alone now as it works but I am thinking one of the cat5e cables between the router and the computer should be or should not be a crossover cable. My guess is most Ethernet devices are insensitive to this but the Intel i225-V might be. The 1000M switch makes any crossovers behind it (toward the AT&T RG) invisible to the i225-V and only a single commercial cable that came with some device I bought sometime in the past is now between the computer and the switch.
This is something you need to contact Intel about directly. Asus would most likely be unable to help with this. Intel does have a technical number and email for such inquiries (I do not know it, but @criskoe can help you here), and there are people there who can help with something like this. They have a lot of highly intelligent engineers.

I know that with just a normal ethernet cable, witih no internet at all, I can simply plug in the ethernet cable to two motherboards, one with a V1 i225-v firmware (Early Maximus 12 extreme sample) and one with a V2 i225-v firmware (Retail Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Master), enable internet sharing, and then I can transfer files between both computers using an old school direct connection, with no router or anything.

#34 ·
ASUS Z490-A Prime
I have tried the firmware flash utility on a thumb drive. (file size larger than flash?!)
I have tried the ASUS provided firmware update tool provided with their drivers. (failure)
I've installed various driver versions. (still fails upon sleep or reboot)

So my work around:
Create a batch file, create task with log in trigger

Code:
@echo off
wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=9 call disable
TIMEOUT /T 2
wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=9 call enable
Disables and enables the NIC without user intervention. Eloquent? No. Effective? Yes.

#35 ·
Does 2.5Gbit lan work with the firmware update? Or wasn't that the problem?

#36 ·
z490 vision g board port bricked

I'm having an issue with a gigabyte z490 vision g board where the controller isn't even being detected as a network adapter so I can't install any drivers properly. All i see is in "other devices" in device manager an "ethernet controller" with a yellow exclamation mark saying no device drivers detected. All firmware patches have been installed, nothing seems to work. I'm trying to build a hackintosh as well with all the correct supported kexts and such for intel i225v but even that mac partition can't detect any internet.

#37 ·
Guys Gigabyte Z490 Vision G here. April 2020 Manufacturing date and firmware updater tool says I am already on latest firmware 1.45. So I installed latest driver from station-drivers.com and it’s working without any noticeable problem. Correctly negotiates 2.5 Gbps speeds with my Netgear switch which does (1, 2.5, 5 and 10 Gbps speeds). Wake on LAN works from both sleep mode and shut down mode in Windows. It even works correctly in macOS Big Sur DP4 (hackintoshed it). Never EVER managed to get WOL after Shutdown to work on hackintosh. But WOL works from sleep though. I use Asus RT-AX88U router’s UI to wake up my devices via their MAC address.

So what am I missing? How can it work so flawlessly? Wccftech’s report that “B3 stepping is on the way because B2 stepping of I225-V found on my motherboard is also flawed” just another clickbait?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.