Tabbed traces vs shielded traces on z490 boards - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Tabbed traces vs shielded traces on z490 boards

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
Perf/W is for pussies

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Tabbed traces vs shielded traces on z490 boards

As the title says I am curious as to the potential memory overclocking performance, or more specifically signal quality/integrity of the two different approaches that z490 MB vendors have taken to take memory overclocking to the next level, as far as MB's go, which along with the SL of your IMC is often the limiting factor.

MSI is using a 6 layer PCB with tabbed traces for nearly all of their z490 boards (with the exception of the ITX unify and the Godlike, which are also using tabbed traces just with a slightly different memory topology)
They are advertising speeds of 4800 MT/S with 4 DIMM slots on any of these boards, all the way down to the cheapest $160 z490 they make. All on the same 6 layer PCB, which is really nice, and for 4 DIMM boards this is highly impressive.

There is a white paper explaining why and how the tabbed traces lead to better signal quality through cross-talk mitigation and impedance management:
https://duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&uddg...ment-paper.pdf

Gigabyte however is taking a seemingly different approach also with a 6 layer PCB, but placing the memory traces between 2 very thick shielded ground layers. Unknown whether they are using tabbed traces between the ground shields for memory traces or not. I wouldn't rule it out, but they are not advertising it.
They are however advertising speeds of 5000 MT/S also on 4 DIMM boards which is extremely impressive as well. From my understanding they could potentially go even higher as after 5000 you run out of XMP profiles, but this is purely speculative, and depends on many other variables. But assuming your memory controller and memory kit are up to it, it sounds like perhaps the MB might not be the limiting factor. Same goes for MSI I suppose.
I cannot find any real highly technical info on GB's methods, whereas MSI's tabbed trace method has a full white-paper on the subject.
The best I can find is a basic description/visual in the attached image.

I am curious if anyone has any insight as to which of these methods are going to be more effective in the areas where it matters (trace signal integrity, and therefore ability to perform high frequency with stability and low latency timings)
Various reviews on the boards in question have only left me with more questions than answers.

The boards I am considering are the z490 MSI Gaming edge wifi, and Gigabyte Vision-G and/or Aorus Elite. Vision-G comes with the extra PCIE slot at the bottom which is particularly handy for me, but I could make any of these boards work if there is a reason to choose one over the other.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gbmemshield_1.png
Views:	25
Size:	570.9 KB
ID:	349422  

Did you know that 20 US states currently have proposed Digital Right to Repair bills which are moving through the system at various stages? Contact your respective state's representatives and make sure they understand how important our fair use rights are in the digital age!

Still using Google? Duckduckgo provides a tracker free search experience! Help limit Google's theft of everyone's most private data, which they sell to whoever will pay for it
Main Workstation
(10 items)
Workstation 2
(6 items)
Workstation 3
(5 items)
CPU
i7-10700k 5GHz all core @ 1.265v no avx offset
Motherboard
Gigabyte z490 Vision G
GPU
EVGA RTX-2070S FTW3
RAM
Viper steel 4400 16-17-17-36
Hard Drive
sx8200 pro everything else
Hard Drive
Intel 900P os+mission critical sw, 1 game
Power Supply
OCZ 750W StealthXstream
Cooling
Arcitc Liquid Freezer 280mm
Operating System
LInux+windows gaming
Monitor
Phillips 55" 4k HDR
CPU
i5-3340
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H
GPU
Geforce 8400GS
RAM
GSKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Hard Drive
1TB Spinning rust
Power Supply
Corsair CX-500
CPU
i5-2400
Hard Drive
1TB Spinning rust
Power Supply
OCZ 500W StealthXstream
Cooling
Stock Intel Cooler
Operating System
Linux
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 09:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
It's impossible to tell which is better just based on the description. Running the traces on the top layer implies microstrip transmission line. Inner layer is probably a stripline structure. There are pros/cons to both. Since the conditions are unique to each board, it's hard to say which is better without a several examples of each type and signal integrity measurements. For example, Gigabyte might have had to bury the traces due to EMI issues that MSI aren't experiencing on their board.

In general, I would say the traces routed on top layer are usually more ideal as a transmission line except for EMI performance. The layer switch from top to inner layers will always introduce an impedance discontinuity.

In short, I would not base your decision based on one aspect of how they routed their DDR4 interface. The proof will be in the results; if they perform / OC similarly in reviews then I would pick the board you like better based on other factors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in